I'm new here guys but need some help

Hello everyone, so I've been out of the fitness and the gym for several years. Probably 4 to be exact. Started going back and I've been getting frustrated because I'm so far out of shape. It's been nearly 15 years when I was a beginner weight lifter and now I see I'm that way again. My goals have changed from 15 years ago though. Now my goals all involve hunting and my job (law enforcement). I've tried sorting through different programs and the content is brain numbing so I decided to come here with like minded people. I would like to precipitate in a TTH next year and would like to get into good enough shape for hunting season this year that I will actually enjoy in.

Personal information on me is im 6'2 275lbs and 33 years old. I have several prior injuries such as two 8 inch rods in each arm, severe damage to my left knee ( hasn't stopped me from squatting), and elbow pain from past fractured (only bothers me on barbell presses). I would like to get back down to 220 lbs by next year. I'm willing to do whatever it takes. If you know of a program that you would suggest or could just give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. Super simple strength and conditioning. He's got multiple variations on the basic 5/3/1 template, too.

Whatever you do, pick a proven program (not beach body or 21 day fix) and stick with it. One of the biggest mistakes people make is program hopping after a month or four.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
You can eat your way out of the worlds most perfect workout program. Cut your processed foods and stick to single ingredient foods (whole/real food).

Stick 30-40# in a pack and walk up moderate grades or hills. With that knee 5/3/1 might might be the best to jump into but feel it out. It's legit strength building like no other.

That what gets measured, gets improved. Time yourself or use MapMyFitness or other app for what ever you do. Sucks the most early but you also make improvements quickly.

Takem

WKR
You can eat your way out of the worlds most perfect workout program. Cut your processed foods and stick to single ingredient foods (whole/real food).

Stick 30-40# in a pack and walk up moderate grades or hills. With that knee 5/3/1 might might be the best to jump into but feel it out. It's legit strength building like no other.

That what gets measured, gets improved. Time yourself or use MapMyFitness or other app for what ever you do. Sucks the most early but you also make improvements quickly.

This is what I do. Works great if I stick to it.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a huge advocate of Wendler's 5/3/1. I spent all fall and winter building up my base strength using 5/3/1 and training 4 days per week. Now that elk season is around the corner, I've backed down to 2 days per week. I'm mostly focusing on maintaining the strength and muscle I've built over the winter. On the days I'm not lifting, I'm doing cardio. I've mostly been hiking hills with a 50 lb pack which is excellent cardio and doesn't beat me up too much. I love to mountain bike so I'll throw in 1-2 days a week of riding where I'll do 7-10 miles with lots of climbing.

I'm also in the process of leaning up and dropping some weight. I'm currently down around 230-235 which is down from about 250 last fall. Ideally, I want to get down around 210 or so. I'm 6'1". As far as diet, everybody is different and everyone responds differently to different foods. I'm naturally kind of a fat kid so I have to really watch my carbs. I eat very little bread, potatoes, rice, oatmeal, etc. I love all that stuff but I just can't seem to drop weight if I'm eating that stuff. I mostly eat lean cuts of meat, cheese, cottage cheese, tons of eggs, turkey sausage etc. I get my carbs from fruit and veggies. I'm a quasi-Paleo eater because that seems to work best for me from a weight loss stand point.

Hope this helps.

OP
T
Thank y'all very much for the responses. I'm getting some great direction and I'm very thankful

5/3/1 is a great program, but it's more of an intermediate/advanced program that is better used once you've stalled progress on a more simple linear progression. I would recommend doing a linear 3x5 program where you add 5-10 lbs to your lifts every WEEK rather than every month as 5/3/1 does. Grab those easy initial gains while you can. Once you have stalled on your lifts, go ahead and move on to 5/3/1.

The nice thing about 5/3/1 is that it allows for plenty of conditioning volume, and you can fill that with workouts tailored towards hunting, like hill sprints, rucking, etc.

First and foremost is what you eat. No matter how hard you try you can not out work eating like shit. Carb cycling has worked the best for me , there is a ton of info too google on eating.

Do some full body compound lifts 3 days a week and cardio 5 days. I did steady state on the days i lifted and HIT on the days i didn't . Start lite and ease back into it so you dont get burned out. 5/3/1 is good one or you could try a 5x5 program.

I recently started crossfit its an arse kicker and you can scale down to your strength and ability. Its a good change and something different , working out with people instead of solo really push's you

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Ridge is correct. I would do Rippetoe's Starting Strength program, basically a really simple 5x5, for 4-6 months before I started stalling. Then I'd retest my lifts and plug that into the 5/3/1 and go from there. Gotta maximize those beginner gains assuming you haven't already been lifting for a while.

I forgot to mention also. I sort of do a carb backloading type of thing. I essentially eat no carbs, aside from whatever is in the fruits and veggies I eat during the day, then at night after my workout (weights or cardio) I'll have a modest amount of carbs. Some kind of potato or maybe some rice. I CRAVE carbs post-workout so i quit fighting it. I just don't go overboard. I feel like my body digests them really well after a workout.

PJG

WKR
You really need to focus on your nutrition. Any work you put in without having your diet straightened out is simply a waste of time. Not trying to be a jerk, but IMO you really need to start watching your diet and put all the other lifting, cardio as a way to compliment your diet.

Rather than worrying about a lifting routine put your focus towards how many calories you are simply going to eat each day.

OP
T
You really need to focus on your nutrition. Any work you put in without having your diet straightened out is simply a waste of time. Not trying to be a jerk, but IMO you really need to start watching your diet and put all the other lifting, cardio as a way to compliment your diet.

Rather than worrying about a lifting routine put your focus towards how many calories you are simply going to eat each day.

I've had my diet pretty well under control for about two months now. That was the first thing I changed

It takes a lot of discipline to ensure that you can shed off the extra kilos. cardio is the best workout. Cardio not only helps in Weight loss, but also Stronger heart and lungs, increased bone density, reduced stress, better sleep. But only cardio workout can not help it only helps to burn extra calories, it is up to you how much calories you are consuming.
It is also important to remove toxins out of the body as they plays important role to increase weight and saturated fats in body. To flush out harmful toxins one should improve diuretics and metabolism of body. Weight loss supplements has antioxidants and other active ingredients that improves diuretics and boost metabolism of body.