Flour substitute?

ncstewart

WKR
I'm trying to eat cleaner and was just wondering if anyone uses a flour substitute and what they recommend?

I'm not going on any certain diet just trying to clean up what I'm eating. Thanks for the help in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends on what you are doing with it. We have used almond and or coconut flour in some things (definately not to make bread type stuff) but it was a revamped recipe not trying to specifically mimic something flour based. It's just a mental change up to think about eating other things than bread/pasta/etc.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
I went gluten free as an experiment in October and have been ever since. I've stayed away from the GF alternatives to wheat flour based pasta/bread/etc as they give me interesting gastric results. I have made my own oat flour in the blender for the occasional breakfast type foods on weekends and as pods mentioned, almond flour is good too (actually better if you're looking to go paleo but that is a whole nuther rabbit hole.) Lots of good websites with recipes that avoid flour. Good luck!

Ironman8

WKR
Why do you feel you need to cut out flour/gluten? Are you seeing issues specifically related to gluten intake?

92xj

WKR
When it comes to homemade pizzas, we've switched to quinoa for the past year. Love it.

I believe Kodiak Cakes is made of 100% whole wheat flour mixture. I make all kinds of things with it

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
Why do you feel you need to cut out flour/gluten? Are you seeing issues specifically related to gluten intake?

I just seem to feel better when cutting it out. I do have some stomach issues that seem to resolve its self when cutting back. I'm not anti flour just want to cut way back and find other options.
I also just want to eat healthier for myself and my family.

Bl704

WKR
I cut out most breads, pasta, rice, potatoes in my diet a couple years ago to help lose weight. I really didn't try to find a replacement but I limit myself to an occasional sandwich I'll choose differently, a sprouted or whole grain.

TBarron

WKR
For pastas I got a spiralizer and use squash, zucchini or eggplant to make noodles and actually think it tastes way better. For subbing potatoes lots of sweet potatoes for fries etc and cauliflower mash for mash potato sub. Don't have any suggestion to flour subs but really interested what else everyone is doing as well.