HIIT workouts question

mdfanatic

FNG
So I've been reading a lot about HIIT workouts and had some questions for those in the know.

From what I've gathered, these type workouts are very effective because they both contribute to fat burning with increased heart rate as well as muscle growth which helps fat burning "after the workout". So comparing this to straight cardio, these seem more beneficial on a minute by minute basis and you'll get more benefit in the long from the HIIT workout.

Here's where I'm at. I still like to do my distance running. I just enjoy it. And I know I burn a ton of calories doing so. So could you not combine the distance running with slow, normal, weight workouts and get the same benefits? I know the total duration of the workout is longer, but am I missing something here?

PJG

WKR
Aerobic vs anaerobic.

Heart rate is going to be way higher for HIIT workouts.

Sure from a calorie perspective you can burn the same, just different ways of getting their.

ianpadron

WKR
Same benefits?...depends what kind of running you're going on for your distance runs. Intervals and hills will act essentially the same, long slow distance will not.

HIIT comes down to % max heart rate and total number of muscle fibers (more specifically motor units) stimulated. Compared to steady state cardio, HIIT is in a whole different universe.

If you have a higher heart rate and are using more muscle, you are providing more stimulus for adaptation long term, and placing more metabolic demand on your body to recover and rebuild...that's what burns calories, not the exercise itself (as in running)

HOWEVER, and this is where the water gets muddy...you have to look at what energy systems you'll be relying on most while hunting. HIIT and lifting weights should be your bread and butter for body composition and strength oriented goals, but if you're also trying to cover a shit load of miles with a pack...replicating that activity in your training is a no brainer.

I'm of the opinion that both have their place, but personally I don't structure any "cardio" into my workout plan, I simply hike on weekends and that's good enough. Hammer it in the weight room and throw in 2, 20minute ball buster HIIT sessions per week and you'll be a lean mean mountain machine.

An interesting read is Unbreakable Runner by Brian MacKenzie, talks about the fact that you can be super strong AND aerobically fit if you do things right.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
I too have enjoyed distance running for years, but the past 3 months I have been in a HIIT program 3 evenings per week and run 2 days a week, one of which is several miles.......I have noticed my gains in speed due to HIIT as well as waist line.......why choose, do both!

I too have enjoyed distance running for years, but the past 3 months I have been in a HIIT program 3 evenings per week and run 2 days a week, one of which is several miles.......I have noticed my gains in speed due to HIIT as well as waist line.......why choose, do both!

Exactly what i do right now , it all depends upon your goals and wat your training for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I think it's about balance and having a lot of variety - especially for those of us who work at a desk and can't just rely on "doing stuff".

Here's a great HIIT workout that I do: Stadium running. Sprint the ups, walk the downs. Hits my peak cardio, leg strength, and leg power / endurance in a way that flat ground stuff can't. I've also found when I start back up - my calves are getting a workout that never were from running. I do that workout 1-2x a week during the summer mixed in with other stuff (Gym, Running, Biking, Hiking)

I do think I'd benefit from adding in one longer run a week, which I'm going to do this year ~10-15 miles if I can't get out and do that in the woods with a pack.

P Carter

WKR
If you're a distance runner and want to maintain mileage, throw in two running workouts a week. Perhaps one session of hill repeats (like 5 to 10 x 1 minute uphill, jog down) and one session of intervals (like 3 to 5 x 1 mile with 2 minutes rest). That will work your anaerobic systems and vo2 max while not sacrificing mileage. Vo2 max work helps with altitude, as well, and the intervals will help with running efficiency. The hills function as strength training for the lower body. If you can do this consistently without getting injured, your hiking and running should both improve pretty drastically. I throw in push-ups, pull-ups, and planks 3x per week and resistance band for hips and calves 3x per week also.

P Carter

WKR
I should add, my thoughts above are based on the assumption that you have a solid base, maybe at least 5 weeks of running 5-6 days a week, maybe 25-30 miles per week. Otherwise it's an injury waiting to happen.

For background, I boxed in college. Boxing training is basically HIIT on overdrive. It gets you in really really good shape. But for me it's too intense to consistently do with my work. Demands too much mental concentration, plus I like to get outdoors when I can. The running let's you get out, is less intense/more enjoyable, and will get you there just as well.

Poser

WKR
So could you not combine the distance running with slow, normal, weight workouts and get the same benefits? I know the total duration of the workout is longer, but am I missing something here?

In short, no. Distance running is a total disaster for effective strength training, so you certainly will Not get the same benefits combining the two, unless you were willing to compromise with 1 single long run a week.

That being said, runners can really benefit from strength training, it's just infinitely more productive to train in cycles. with a solid strength foundation, conditioning comes quickly (inversely, it goes quickly). The most effective cycle for any seasonal athlete would be to work strength training during the off season with conditioning as needed to perform strength sessions (and in short Busts: sprints, intervals, prowlers etc).

Strength is built comparatively slowly, but its effectiveness tends to last quite awhile once training stops. Conditioning improves comparatively quickly but detrains dramatically.

The benefits of building strength are many, particularly in terms of injury prevention when related to endurance sports, but since conditioning effects apply so quickly, there's no need to waste your body away with excessive conditioning when you have no need for it.

Of course if it is a question of body recomposition, say the need to lose more than ~40 lbs of body fat, that may be a different set of priorities with a different set of answers, however, I have seen guys convert fat, "slob" bodies into "big & strong" bodies in reasonable amounts of time doing nothing but pure strength training. I'm not talking 6 pack abs, but certainly body recomposition. In short, all roads of fitness revolve around strength.

OP
M

mdfanatic

FNG
Very informative and helpful replies. Thanks for everyone that took the time!

OP
M

mdfanatic

FNG
I would also be curious to hear some of your HIIT workouts. Since I like running, here lately, I've been incorporating Tabata on 4 minutes of my run towards the end of the run. Pretty tough. I'd be curious to hear some others HIIT workouts. And any thoughts on Tabata as well.

ianpadron

WKR
I would also be curious to hear some of your HIIT workouts. Since I like running, here lately, I've been incorporating Tabata on 4 minutes of my run towards the end of the run. Pretty tough. I'd be curious to hear some others HIIT workouts. And any thoughts on Tabata as well.
For guys looking for sample HIIT stuff.

The KISS method absolutely applies.

Check out "Wingates" and thank me later. Can't think of a better way to completely nuke your anaerobic system in 10 to 15 minutes.

Hill sprints, and I mean sprints, are also hard to beat. Top speed for 30 seconds, then shut er down for 2 minutes, repeat til dead (typically 8 to 12 min).

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I do both. I take HIIT type class and run long distance. When I am building for a race, I run 5 days a week and do the class one or two days based on how I feel. Peak mileage prepping for a race last fall was 70 miles/week. That worked well for me.

When I'm not training for a race, I take the class 2-3 days and run 3-4 days a week. I averaged 20-30 miles per week over the winter while going to the class 3 days a week. I will probably stay around 30-40 miles per week over the summer not training for a race.

The benefits... I love running in the mountains and I'm able to do 20-30 miles on the trail when I want to. I also enjoy the HIIT class. So far, it has kept me durable so I'm not breaking things with all the miles. It also keeps me strong enough that I do not have any issues wandering around the mountains in the fall. Most of my friends who run without some kind of strength training have ended up injured.

P Carter

WKR
^ This guy has it down. I can't seem to muster true HIIT classes while running with work, kids, etc. But I do strength work 1-2 days while training a 3-4 while not. I peak at 60 mph while training and 20-30 while not. I also take a whole month off of running once a year. I find the flux between running and other workouts helpful because it breaks up the drag. Hopefully this types of balance will keep the weight off, good underlying cardio and lower body strength, while not totally fading away in the upper body.

Owens, you're a beast! Keep at it!