Downhill knee discomfort.

Rmauch20

WKR
I made it out to Telluride, CO last week on vacation and managed to get about 12 miles over 3 days of hiking with my day pack +10 pounds. I couldn't fit my actual pack in the car (my wife packs too much)so that was all I was able to take. Other than adjusting to the altitude of Telluride ,coming from Kansas, I felt pretty good about my current workout and preparation for October. I did notice that when heading downhill I would get discomfort in both knees basically in the middle of the joint. It was nothing that couldn't be either pushed through or covered with ibuprofen or advil. I didn't use any type of trekking poles and it didn't bother me much going uphill. I haven't noticed issue as much here in Kansas but then again I probably gained and lost more elevation in those 12 miles and what I can in 100 miles in Kansas.
Does anybody have any recommendations on stretching, exercises, or anything really that would help this issue. I would even accept suck it up buttercup or DBAP (don't be a pussy) as answers.

muddydogs

WKR
Not much you can do if the pain is in the joint as it's probably meniscus problems or could be mild arthritis. The best thing is work on strengthening the muscles around the knee to provide more support and stabilization to the joint. When all else fails see your doctor about a week before your hunt and get shot up with cortisone.

Dameon

WKR
I recommend moderate weight training to strengthen your knee muscles and especially your core for stability. I would also recommend trekking poles. I keep mine strapped to my pack most of the time unless I'm climbing or descending steep slopes. If you pack a bull out, they will be worth the weight penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtw

WKR
Don't get cortisone. That's a dead end.
You have to train for downhill the same as you train for up. Leg strength exercises are good and if you can find some stairs to do sets on that helps. If all else fails doing step ups and downs on a box will work. If you want to carry weight start light and build up slow.

• Banned
OP
R

Rmauch20

WKR
I plan on taking trekking poles in October for sure. I started doing step ups maybe a month ago with a weighted pack or a dumbbell. Also doing a lot of Front and rear lunges both weighted and body weight only. I'll continue to work on strengthening legs and knees.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
I second the knee strengthening and trekking poles. Building the smaller intrinsic stabilization muscles really helps with downhill. The trekking poles are something you get used to. I had a couple pairs I rarely used until I started packing heavier loads and they do help quite a bit when loading the knees. Like someone else said, downhill loads a lot of compressive force on the meniscus which can cause more irritation that you wouldn't normally notice. Good luck and keep up the prep.

John Kimble

Lil-Rokslider
I have dealt with a similar issue in the past. I would get very sharp pain under my knee cap while going down hill. I would stretch my quads by either either sitting in deep squat for 2 minutes or just a basic standing quad stretch for 2 minutes each leg. I think my pain came from the quad muscle pulling my knee cap to one side. You may have the same issue since you live on flat land. Maybe try training on a stairs/bleachers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Welcome to the world of getting old or damaged knees. I have tried glucosamine for the joints but never felt any relief from that, but after using Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover all season a few years ago my knees were great. However this last case that I bought, it almost seems like they've slipped me a placebo. Just doesn't do much for me in any regard like the first case did.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
All you can is everything as noted and get some downhill training for the knees. Trekking poles help tremendously and are my best friend

Speeddmn

FNG
Don't neglect your hips, those muscles are also very important to your knees. I had bi-lateral miscues repairs done over winter and I am still recovering. Outlook doesn't look good for Utah opener for me. I can't walk 1000 yards on flat land w/o my knees swelling up.

I also started have downhill stability issues prior to my surgery's. Look up, heel dips, step ups, squats, bridges, weighted leg extensions, calf raises for the easier work outs. Most I'm sure you can figure out from the names, 2x15 or 2x20 reps, add weight when needed.

Good luck and hope it works for you.

Daniel_M

WKR
Lunges Lunges Lunges. Hamstrings and glutes apply the brakes and are a big part of down hill.

If you're in the gym...
Squats - Front or Back
Deadlifts - Traditional or Trap Bar...I'm a big fan of Trap DL's- super safe on the spine, you can run super heavy and they are an excellent compliment to the squats,I run them twice a weak for leg and back.
Lunges - These will aide in stability.
Leg extensions
Leg Curls
Calf raises

muddydogs

WKR
Don't get cortisone. That's a dead end.

Really depends on what the knee problems are, for me cortisone turns me into superman for a couple weeks then slowly wears off the next couple weeks. My knees are trashed and will need to be replaced before to long but as long as I can deal with them in the off season and get a little juice help during hunting I'm sticking with them for a few more years. I'm young enough that the doc's tell me I would need a couple 3 replacements throughout the rest of my life if I started now.

Thing that gets me is I have to be conscious of how much elevation I gain because I can climb like a mad man but once I get up I have to come down which can be a pain. Used to be I was faster down hill then up hill but not anymore.

If you are going to use trekking poles its best to train with them and get used to moving them around brush and rocks as well as how to use them best going down hill. I personally hate the things and never got used to them, when hunting I pack my firearm in my hands so I don't use poles then. If its steep and nasty I want to be able to grab trees and brush either going up or coming down and find all the poles do is get in my way. I leave a set in the truck for packing out meat but inevitably I never grab them when hiking back in.

I plan on taking trekking poles in October for sure. I started doing step ups maybe a month ago with a weighted pack or a dumbbell. Also doing a lot of Front and rear lunges both weighted and body weight only. I'll continue to work on strengthening legs and knees.

Trekking poles are SUPER key here. But remember to use them correctly. I hike about 1,500 feet up and then 1,500 foot down in just a mile or two right outside my house about 2-3 times per week to get ready. This with a 40 pound pack now (ramping up my workouts). When you are going downhill, make sure you REALLY plant the pole just before your foot touches the ground. Make a conscious effort in your mind to push on the right pole right before you put down your left foot and vice versa, again and again. You get a rhythm going and pretty soon you are hauling.

Also, leg strength is key. With more strength, your are able to withstand injury.

Good luck and enjoy the outdoors.