Training mask

Is anyone using an elevation training mask to artificially acclimate to high elevations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Do a search on the forums as there has been much discussion on these. Cliff notes: they are scientifically ineffective and will only make your workouts less productive. Anyone who says different is trying to sell you one or has a collection of flat brim hats.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
Do a search on the forums as there has been much discussion on these. Cliff notes: they are scientifically ineffective and will only make your workouts less productive. Anyone who says different is trying to sell you one or has a collection of flat brim hats.

^^^^^THIS.

There has actually been some good data that shows training at elevation isn't the best either. The best is to train at low elevations where you have the highest work capacity, then recover at elevation to make a high elevation adaptation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I tried one and wasn't impressed. I was living in Kansas and using it to train for Colorado. Didn't help, after two weeks in Colorado I was way better off than a couple of months with that mask.

^^^^^THIS.

There has actually been some good data that shows training at elevation isn't the best either. The best is to train at low elevations where you have the highest work capacity, then recover at elevation to make a high elevation adaptation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Read this several times over, then take the money you would spend on a mask and buy some new shoes.

WKR
It may make you more comfortable at being miserable. That, in itself, can be very valuable.

And, of course, there is the Bane like fashion statement (would go well with flat brim and giant Mtn Ops logos).

But it absolutely will not improve aerobic physiologic performance at higher elevations.

GotDraw?

WKR
Agree with above. Any science based research you'll read will prove they are a waste of money and a waste of effective training time.

Want a cheaper version of the mask? Purse your lips and breathe through a smaller mouth opening.

Easiest way to increase your VO2 Max is to drop a bunch fat. Legs, lungs and gristle is all you want to bring up the mountain.

Best to train hard at low elevation, then sleep and recover at high elevation (to build red blood cells). Unfortunately, that paradigm is impossible for us low-landers, so it mostly becomes: train hard as hell, lose as much fat as you can before heading out and then suffer for a while in the mountains.

JL

last year I tried it only because i was going from 22 feet of elevation to 11K. to me all it did was restrict my air flow. and guess what its been sitting in the same corner for 10 months now and it will continue to sit there till i decide to toss it in the garbage