Stone Glacier Workout Email

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree the 60#s is reasonable, but unless you've been doing a $hitload of heavyweight lunges- best to work up, let the body adapt- don't break the body

200 meters of unbroken lunges, even without any weight, is no joke

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The hole in my game gets a spotlight: lunges.

Total time 50:45
The pairs of intervals were the exact same time which I found somewhat interesting.
2x400s 1:36
2x800s 3:56
2x400s 1:43

50lb + 10lb dumbells 100m lunges: these destroyed me, I couldn't get very low nor take more than 5-10steps at a time. Gave up after 100m as I was way to under prepared.

10min bleachers was fine just 9steps up and down though, would have liked longer segments.

3x30sec plank: I collapsed at 20sec on the last one.

Summary more midweek weighted lunges

Week 2: Lunges are the devil

Total time 63min
2x400s 1:31, 1:32
2x800s 3:46, 3:49
2x400s 1:43, 1:46

50lb pack no dumbells I lasted 50m, I dropped the pack and did the remaining 150m which still crushed my legs.

10min bleachers sucked this week after all the extra lunges (even with just body weight), I set down the dumbells in the first minute and just finished it with 50lb pack.

3x30sec plank: Shakey McGee today, made the first one. The other two I had to choke up and drop to knees after 10-15sec. I was gassed out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
200 meters of unbroken lunges, even without any weight, is no joke

I have to agree with this guy :D

I've been extending my distance w/ the lunges, but still am not at 200 meters unbroken without any weight- note I haven't been doing any lunges prior to this workout being posted; I can tell you that 3x5 squats don't prepare you for lunges :)

probably another week and then I'll gradually add weight

OP
B

bounds

WKR
Did another round last night. Definitely feel better/stronger at night than first thing in the morning.

My running has been pretty consistent.
2X400 - 1:29, 1:25
2X880 - 3:48, 3:45
2X400 - 1:30, 1:20

Not sure exactly what my pack weight was. I replaced my dumbells (10lbs) with a couple of rocks so I could carry the dumbells. I'm guessing around 45lbs. Lunges suck again! I agree with everyone's collective sentiment and comments on these. In the past I've been in really good cardio shape (wife was marathon training) and I've been really strong (lots of heavy 3X5 squats mtwarden). This takes a large amount of both. And right now I'm strong in neither so it's kicking my ass! Once again I did increments of 25 yards and then rest for 30 seconds. I did 100 yards and then went to step ups with dumbbells.

After step ups I decided to do a half mile fast walk with my dumbbells to make up for lack of lunges. Then I added 25 more yards of lunges at the end. So 125 yards total for this workout.

Ended with 3X45sec planks.

Next time I'm going to go as far as I can in lunges, then drop my pack and finish the 200 yards. Forget unbroken at this point lol. That's at a level I'm not close to right now.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you're well ahead of me- good job!

you're also spot on above the lunges being something in between; I also have a good cardio base (I run mountain ultras and log 1500+ trail miles a year); I also am relatively strong (for a runner! :D) with one or two 3x5 sessions a week. These are a different beast.

after a short trail run this morning, I managed two unbroken 100 meter lunge traverses- completely unweighted mind you; I'm going to try and bump this up each week until I'm at 200 meters unbroken and then slowly add weight. One positive note is I'm a little less sore than my fist lunge session :)

Ebby

WKR
I did this the other day. Great work out. I did it in the 102F heat index at 12 noon in TN. I used 75lbs in my pack and held 10lb dumbells. Basically same weight but slightly different configuration. I ran at my house. From my driveway to the 400 and 800 meter marks, it is slight downhill. My times are obviously better going down than coming up on the runs.

400: 1:17, 1:32
800: 3:04, 3:37
400: 1:27, 1:41

I did alternating stair climbs with a Versa Climber. 2 minutes of 15 steps up and down then 2 minutes of Versa Climber. The Climber is harder than the steps. I did 11 minutes total to account for the transitions. I also did 45 seconds on each of the planks with with the 75lb pack. My total workout time was 1:02. Slightly slower than I wanted but the extra time on the steps and planks May account for that. The lunges were brutal in the heat. I had to stop for 3-4 10-15 second breaks and I took a 60 second break at the 100 yard mark. Whew. Looking forward to trying it again soon.

Lee

OP
B

bounds

WKR
^^^ That's beastly Lee.

My top reason for doing this at 10pm is the heat. We've got the same weather and I'd die if I did it at lunch.

Ebby

WKR
I like doing stuff in the heat. Makes a big difference when you do it in milder temps. Plus my schedule doesn't allow for set times. I have to workout when I can. Ha!

Lee

sveltri

WKR
Scaled it way down last week and it was still a tough training session.
2x400m
2x800m
100m lunges pack only, 60#
10 min stairs pack only, 60#
planks as prescribed

finished with 10 squats

P Carter

WKR
A second time. Still tough, but hopefully I'm not quite as sore! Those lunges are brutal but it's amazing how fast the body adapts. I tried to focus on not wussing out on the running to save up for the lunges.

Scaled back from the email: I did 47-48ish pounds in the pack, no barbells, 100m lunges. Had to rest every 20m or so. Took me 50 minutes total, including 1/2 mile warmup.

2x400: 1:15, 1:17
2x800: 2:45, 2:45.
2x400: 1:14, 1:15

Surprised at the consistency of the splits; found my "groove pace" on those I guess. Rest was equivalent to running time.

100m lunges: Better this time, but still had to pull up and rest when my legs were screaming every 20-25 meters.
10 minutes stair climbs: These were fine. Could probably increase the weight for these. Meh.
Planks: Fine, could increase the weight for these too. Meh.

Just realized the track has a pullup bar, so after I did 2x10 and 1x6.

label027

FNG
Dang Lee, you killed it! Nice work, hope to be about at that point in a few months.

I tried to focus on not wussing out on the running to save up for the lunges.

I'm going for round 2 today and I'm worried I'm going to do that too, those lunges are scary. I already am getting the nervous poops and I'm a few hrs away from doing it.

First go at it today. Pretty gnarly workout.

1:09 | 1:10
2:48 | 2:53
1:13 | 1:16

Scaled to 100m after feeling like my hamstrings were about to tear apart.

Finished the scaled version in 48 minutes. Will have to find bigger set of bleachers. Only 6 up, 6 down gets boring in a hurry.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to be a bit further out than I thought- light strain in my left groin muscle after a long run on Sunday and have back to back mountain races the next two weekends, so going to have to nix the lunges at least this week

OP
B

bounds

WKR
A couple of you fellas can run... Some of those 800 splits are impressive.

A crazy week has kept me from getting to this one. I'm going to try and do it over the weekend.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I did it for the 3rd time last weekend after spending all week 8hrs off time zone and not much hotel gym time, I fell apart compared to prior weeks.

I started thinking about what I want to layout of the next couple months and decided I'm going to give the MTI biggame prep plan a try. It looks intense, I'm going to start the 8week plan 10weeks out since I know I'll have more travel in between and will miss days so I'll push them forward rather than skipping as best as I can. If I get ahead of schedule I'll see about doing this routine one day once I'm into the other one a fair bit and see what differences show up.

Pods if you are willing I'm sure I'm not the only one who would enjoy a review of the program along with your progress?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ya sure. Just made up a 60lb rubber mulch "sand bag" for it modeled after the one they sell, going to kick things off tomorrow.

In summary its legs/core/lungs. Basically 8 weeks of:
Day 1: Shit ton of step ups with 40# pack and some core work after (sand bag getups, halo swings, etc)
Day 2: Quad crushing lunges and pushup rows alternating in the morning and 75# pack hikes in afternoon
Day 3: Running
Day 4: Similar to day 1
Day 5: Similar to day 2
Day 6: Long session grinds mixing packing, core routines, running. Start at 90min and builds to 210min. Weeks 4 and 8 this is a rest day though.
Day 7: Rest.

The specific details, duration, etc. vary but that is more or less the plan.

bmart2622

WKR
Im on week 6 of the MTI Big Game plan and can tell you it is no joke. Its designed for someone who is already in decent shape and looking to get into more "sport" specific shape. I also started in about 10 weeks out to give some wiggle room for missed days since its set up to be done 6 days a week. Ive done a lot of different work outs and enjoy this program and will continue to use it for future seasons.

P Carter

WKR
Did it again this morning after missing last week.

Really focused on not wussing out on the running. And paid for it. Ouch!

2x400: 1:10, 1:10
2x800: 2:42, 2:37
2x400: 1:15, 1:13

100m lunges w/50 pounds, no barbells. Still excruciating during the workout, but no longer leaving my hamstrings and hips thrashed afterwards.
Stadiums w/50 pounds, no barbells. Fine.
Planks, 3x30 w/50 pounds. Fine.

I'm continually amazed at how quickly the body adapts. I'll probably do 2-3 more of these to "top things off" before the season. And before then, I'm going to have to go all out on a 400 and see where that puts me, just for kicks. Good stuff!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ nicely done! :)

may not have been the smartest thing I've done with a tough mountain race this weekend (and last), but I got in two 125 meter lunge sessions- unbroken (but also unweighted)