Stone Glacier Workout Email

bounds

WKR
Anyone else get the email from stone glacier today with the workout in it? I did a modified (shorter) version tonight and it kicked me in the teeth. Had our second baby 3 weeks ago so the last 4-6 weeks have had me slackin off on my workouts and shooting my bow. Time to put my foot on the gas. I feel that even when I'm in my best shape, that workout would be a beat down, especially in this Texas heat.

My hats off to you boys and girls who are cruisin thru that one.

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds interesting, anyone care to post it? I can also pm my email address.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see it posted anywhere to link it, so....

definitely looks like a toughy

ONE
2-Mile's of Intervals

This workout starts with 2 x 400m, 2 x 800m and then 2 more x 400m track sprints. These hurt, but intervals are one of the best ways to boost your cardiovascular fitness. They also test your mental fitness which is crucial for successful backcountry hunting. Many hunters hate running sprints, but they need to be doing them. Sprint intervals will develop your ability to breathe and recover quickly...such as after a steep pursuit when you need to steady yourself for the shot.

Directions / Run 400m as fast as you can (1 lap around the track), time yourself, rest the same amount of time it took you to finish, then head out for 400m sprint number 2. Repeat this 1:1 work to rest ratio for each interval.

TWO
200 meters of Weighted Lunges

In hunting, the work begins when the animal is down, this workout is no different. You finished your sprints now it is time to go to work. Throw on your pack with the 60lb sandbag strapped in tight. Grab your set of 20lb dumbbells and head back out on the track. 200 meters of lunges with a 60lb pack is brutal, add the 20lb dumbbells in each hand and it is a physical and psychological beast. This workout will boost your work capacity, strengthen your quads, glutes and hamstrings...plus condition your body to operate under a heavy load. The dumbbells in each hand train your grip, arms, and traps for carrying bows, rifles, cameras, tripods, etc...

Directions / Strap your #60lb sandbag onto your pack. Grab a 20lb dumbbell in each hand. Lunge 200m. Head out 100m and then back (1/4 lap of your track). Carry the dumbbells with straight arms at your sides. Keep your chest and eyes up and focus on a long stride.

THREE
10 Minutes of Weighted Stair Climbs

Any hunt in the Rocky Mountain West or Alaska is going to include lots of vertical gains & loss. Might as well get used to it now. After you finish your lunges keep your pack on and dumbbells in hand and head to the bleachers. You have 10 minutes of stair climbing. Set a timer for 10 minutes, get your mind right and go to work. Start at the bottom of the bleachers, head to the top, descend and repeat. Focus on the downhill, this requires a lot more than the uphill step as your body has to absorb the impact. Take your time and focus on good form not laps. This is an ass-kicker, your legs, traps, arms, core and shoulders are already burning from the lunges but you have to keep moving. Stay focused, and finish, packing out an animal can require multiple days, you just have to make it 10 minutes.

Directions / Go immediately from your lunges to the bleachers, do not remove your pack, keep your dumbbells. Set a timer or check your watch. Go up and down the stairs for 10 minutes with no rest.

FOUR
30-Second Pack Planks

Core strength helps with everything...backcountry hunting is no different. Hiking with heavy packs can become significantly easier as you strengthen your core and low back. Keep your pack on after your stair climb. Don't take it off, we are trying to accustom our bodies to working under load for extended periods of time. Drop your dumbbells, head to the grass and get ready to plank. Holding a 30 second plank with a 60lb pack is no joke...if you can't complete 30 seconds work your way up to it over time.

Directions / Set a timer or monitor your watch for 30 second rest to work intervals. Keep your 60lb pack on and get in plank position. Complete three rounds of 30 second plank holds with 30 seconds of rest. Watch your form and make sure your shoulder stays directly above your elbow. Make sure your back is flat and not rounded or pointed up. Goal time for the entire workout is 1-hour. Try to complete the circuit faster each week.

OP
B

bounds

WKR
mtwarden beat me to it.

Yeah it was definitely a toughy.

For people that may be on the training schedule I've been on, here's what I did to make it through. I had a 50lb pack.

ONE
1 mile of intervals
4X400 (actually around my neighborhood block so it was more like 4X430) with 2 mins of rest in between. (Avg was about 1:25 for each)

TWO (this was the hardest for me)
100 yards of lunges. I couldn't do it all in one go, so I broke it up into 10-15 yard increments and then had to do another 30 yards straight thru at the end of my workout.

THREE
5 minutes of step ups. Had a roughly 15" step and did step ups on it. I was mentally whipped after the lunges and had already decided to just do 5 mins. I could have done the full 10 (ended up being easier than I expected post lunges) but stuck to 5.

FOUR
My core actually felt really strong and I did the full 3X30 second plank section.

Then I did a little over half mile as fast as I could with my pack on, then went straight into that last 30 yards of lunges I mentioned.

Plan on doing this once a week until September and starting the full workout in August.

OP
B

bounds

WKR
Definitely were. Especially coming off the running. I had been doing longer runs but haven't done track/speed work like that in a looong while. Talk about lead legs!

whitingja

WKR
Its a tough workout. Had to cut the lunges in half, and I do a crap load of lunges weekly. Having 60lbs on your back and 20lbs in each hand is really tough. I'd like to see someone on youtube do it unbroken. Not sayin it can't be done, but would need to be a beast of a person.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking maybe start with ~ 1/2 the weight, adding some weekly

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's the very first one I got (as far as workout stuff, they'll send updates on new gear etc)

if you're looking for fresh ideas check out the wod thread- dozens and dozens of different workouts- some absolutely evil :D

OP
B

bounds

WKR
Going for my second round tomorrow night. Thinking of cutting the weight in half like someone else mentioned and getting through all of the work instead of cutting the work like I did the first time.

Its a tough workout. Had to cut the lunges in half, and I do a crap load of lunges weekly. Having 60lbs on your back and 20lbs in each hand is really tough. I'd like to see someone on youtube do it unbroken. Not sayin it can't be done, but would need to be a beast of a person.

If you saw the pics of the guy who is doing the workout in the email, he may be the one to do it. He's a BEAST

Clarktar

WKR
I don't see how you do all the sprints with a heavy pack. Seems like the pack would boucne all over and rub pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
that would be one hell of a workout sprinting with a 60 lb pack- ouch!

OP
B

bounds

WKR
Yeah sprints aren't with the pack.

I did it again last night. I did all of the running. Averaged about 1:25 on the 1/4s and 3:45-3:50 on the 1/2s (1/2s were actually 885 meters around my neighborhood, so my times aren't as slow as I thought lol).

I bumped down to 35lbs or so on my pack weight. I did the lunges in 50 yard segments. 25 yards, take a short break then do 25 back to my starting point. Damn these are hard. I did 2 sets for 100 yards.

I put an additional 10lbs in the pack for the step ups and did 10 mins. Felt good. A great aspect I'm getting out of this that I don't get on flat ground or elevated treadmill is my hip flexors are getting worked. Will definitely be doing more of these.

Feeling pretty good about my core strength. Did the planks with the 45ish pounds and didn't struggle much. Going to bump the time up to 45 seconds next time.

Keep at it fellas.