Mountain Bike Riders?

xcutter

WKR
Purchased my first mountain bike. Love riding the trails. Wish I would of done this a long time ago. It's great cardio and easy on the joints.

Anyone got any pointers or recommendations for a new rider? What training do you incorporate for hunting?

Looking forward to all the reply's.

Thanks.

xziang

WKR
Learn and be proficient with fixing a flat. :) I know they used to have liners and or slim that would help prevent punctures. I've been out of the mtn bike game for years but still use one for deer hunting every now and then.

As for use for hunting I would look at a back rack to haul gear and or a way to hook up a deer cart to it. (I've done/used this for H20 decoys) Friend has used it many times to pull out a deer too via deer cart attached too. Will work great on fairly level roads/trails.

As for training can't help you there.. (sorry)

I just go out and ride. You'll quickly find out that mountain biking is more of an interval type workout, unless you are racing. If you ride in a group, you are stopping periodically for various reasons. However, it is very easy to max your HR when mountain biking. I usually do 1-1.5 hour rides a couple of times a week. Every ride will incorporate 4-10 good climbs. A tough climb will put you at max HR, and long ones will force you to hold it for several minutes.

Learn to ride correctly:

1) One finger on your brake levers
2) Keep your eyes out in front of your bike, not the front wheel. Helps greatly with switchbacks.
3) Have fun
4) Use your rear brake to dump a little speed, use your front AND rear to dump a lot or stop. Don't ride your brakes.
5) Learn to do some of your own basic bike maintenance

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
I raced cross country and downhill for several years back in my youth... paying for it now with arthritis but still love to hit the trails when I can.. Some good tips from the other guys for sure... Look ahead to read the trails, 1-2 fingers on the brakes ready to use them, front brake will get used more than the rear just like on a motorcycle, try to find your flow and be fluent, body positioning on downhills (lower the seat a bit too). But the most important thing, wear a helmet and have fun!

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I got back into it late last year when i moved to Colorado. I had about a 10 year layoff. I absolutely love it. Its so much fun and unbelievable exercise especially out here. It's the reason I'm late getting my bow tuned up and am just now starting to scout.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'm getting back into it after a long break. I'm wanting to do an Adventure race next june so I'm starting to get back into shape for that. I still have my old Gary Fisher but I forgot how much fun it is. I can't wait till it cools down some here. Mid 90s with humidity in the 90% range sucks it outta ya.

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Rode some trails this past Saturday. Did 10 miles with my buddies. My endurance has really picked up. I was keeping up with some of the more experienced riders. Great time. Legs are a little stiff today though. Good stuff!