Too much or too little?

This is really something you can answer. You'll have to listen to your body and go from there. It's easy to overtain and then not be able to perform as well once the hunt begins.

I've got a buddy who's in his mid fifties that walks five mikes twice a week with about 60lbs. He's in eastern Kansas and has no problems in the mountains. He goes his own pace and enjoys himself.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was of the thought 50ish regularly and do some heavier stuff a couple times a month but not all the time so you don't get beat down. Then I did pack lunges... the devil. I think those will do more for my legs than toting an 80lb pack in training.

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
I'm starting to ramp up my hikes. 25# w/body weight exercises and running 3x a week. 40# hike with good elevation and body weight stuff, 2x a week. 60# hike with as much elevation as I can, but just hiking once a week.

I'm going for variation, not so much weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would gauge your body. If there is still some in the tank do the loop again without weight. I like to think my training will make the hunt easier so one day a week I try and go further or push harder. This can be longer distance, higher sustained heart rate, or greater elevation gain. As noted only you can gauge where your at prepping for the hunt and as we approach august no one wants an injury that could cause problems entering season. Good luck👍

jmez

WKR
It will help, definately not over doing it. For perspective. On an elk hunt you'll likely be walking for 6-10 hours a day, 7 days a week with 4x that elevation change.

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. I honestly can go a lot farther than I am but just worry about being 60 with jacked up knees. I'm sure I just over analyze all this stuff but it passes the time until season!

Poser

WKR
Besides strength training, this time of year, I'll go out and do a 1-3 mile hike with 1000-1500 ft gain in intervals. I'll pick a spot ahead of me (usually in the Shade) and then go all out until I get there, rest for 90-120 seconds, repeat to the next spot. My goal is to do shorter, steeper distances at much higher intensities rather than LSD type hiking. More efficient use of my time, less boring and less catabolic.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you're definitely on the right track :)

I would consider adding in a "long walk" weekly, the equivalent to the long run for runners. You need a session with some good time on your feet, any mountain hunt is almost surely going to entail some long days and bigger miles. I wouldn't sweat too much about how much weight is on your back for these, but rather slowly increasing the distance/time on your feet of the your "long walk"

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
you're definitely on the right track :)

I would consider adding in a "long walk" weekly, the equivalent to the long run for runners. You need a session with some good time on your feet, any mountain hunt is almost surely going to entail some long days and bigger miles. I wouldn't sweat too much about how much weight is on your back for these, but rather slowly increasing the distance/time on your feet of the your "long walk"

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go hit a couple hour hike this morn and see how that goes.
Nothing like rucking with a head lamp at 4 am and carrying a pillow case with 10lbs of rice to make the neighbors think you lost your mind!