Stair Master, treadmill, or? What's in your home gym?

shadow

FNG
So I'm currently prepping for another elk hunt. I usually go in spurts of losing weight to elk hunt, then gaining a lot of it back, then losing weight to elk hunt, etc... I do almost all my workouts outside when it's nice enough to do so. I run, run hills, put a pack on and hike up and down a hill. Living in flatlandia of Iowa leaves few options for getting good hill work in. However, after getting into shape for this elk hunt, I'm starting to think about what I'm going to need to do to sustain this level of fitness.

My work, taking kids to daycare, etc... won't really allow me to join a gym and be able to use it regularly, so I'm probably going to have to put together a home gym. Currently do some kettlebell work and body weight exercises. I intend to get a squat rack and some barbells for other general strength work.

To the question: If you had to get a machine for your hunting preps to do at home, would you go with a treadmill, stairmaster type machine, or what? I've been thinking about like a bowflex max trainer or some other kind of stairmaster. I really have no idea about any other brands/models, etc... any advice would be appreciated. Feel like a stairmaster type machine would be the only good way to prepare for climbing hills all day. Open for any suggestions.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Revolving stairs is hard to beat for replicating climbing that being said the treadmill on grade is great as well. I live on both machines in the gym. The treadmill gives your u more options.

ChrisS

WKR
Like Ross said, treadmill gives you more options. I don't like doing long periods on one machine. So I split it up in the gym (treadmill on incline, stairmaster, rower) on cardio days. You can always do a lot of lunges and/or get/build a box to replicate stairs. Throw a weighted pack on and do 100 step-ups. Then 200.

kcm2

WKR
I'm doing HIIT training on an elliptical. So, for me, elliptical or stairmaster. I burned up a treadmill hiking on it with weight.

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Assault Bike in mine as far as cardio equipment goes.

Would recommend the Concept 2 over the Assault bike. The bike hurts so bad I never wanna use it. But if you can make yourself get on it, the thing will kick your butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a bunch of free-weights. I hate cardio unless I have a basketball in my hands. Until elk season, and then I'm all over it.

My wife has an elliptical sitting here that never gets used if anyone wants it.........cheap. It just gets in my way when I'm lifting.