Mountain Tactical training plans.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello,

I know theres some people here using these plans, Im wondering if anybody can give me some insight to them. I think I train fairly hard but I think my workouts are getting a bit stale and Id like to start getting onto a "plan" rather than just doing workouts. I do plenty of sprints, Pull Ups, jump rope and rucking but because of where I live, theres no gym...In fact, theres not even any good hills where I live in AK so step ups would be really beneficial to me.

Who's using the plans, how is it? I have a sandbag, some dumbells, a pack, space to run....no gym stuff though.

Thanks!!!

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I have used their military plans before to success. They are hard and programmed aggressively so really prioritize recovery early on. The bodyweight program was literally the worst self-induced torture I have ever put myself through.

I am looking at going through the Big Game plan once or twice next year and I believe the only gear you need is a pack, dumbbells, and a step up block.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have used their military plans before to success. They are hard and programmed aggressively so really prioritize recovery early on. The bodyweight program was literally the worst self-induced torture I have ever put myself through.

I am looking at going through the Big Game plan once or twice next year and I believe the only gear you need is a pack, dumbbells, and a step up block.

Cool, I'm thinking of just buying the bodyweight plan and the big game plan. I don't want to get the whole big game package because it looks like one of the phases or more is based around gym work where the others are running, sandbag, dumbells and weighted packs.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What do you want to know? I am on week 2 of the big game right now, its aggressive but I'm surprised how well I'm adapting. I wouldn't have likely pushed myself this hard or in the same manner if just throwing something together on my own. I've had some sore spots and such but I'm recovering well. Its surprising how much the day 3 run worked loose the legs for day 4 for instance. Its alot of newer activities for me so I'm currently entertained for most and for the long step up sessions I just listen to podcasts. I posted this in the stone glacier thread:

In summary its legs/core/lungs. Basically 8 weeks of:
Day 1: Shit ton of step ups with 40# pack and some core work after (sand bag getups, halo swings, etc)
Day 2: Quad crushing lunges and pushup rows alternating in the morning and 75# pack hikes in afternoon
Day 3: Running
Day 4: Similar to day 1
Day 5: Similar to day 2
Day 6: Long session grinds mixing packing, core routines, running. Start at 90min and builds to 210min. Weeks 4 and 8 this is a rest day though.
Day 7: Rest.

The specific details, duration, etc. vary but that is more or less the plan.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I have done some of their stuff. I like it. There is free stuff out there, and some of it is great. The difference with Military/Mountain Athlete is that it was designed specifically for certain goals and tested to achieve that goal. Most of it is much more sport-specific than a typical Strength and Conditioning program. I really like the Sandbag/weight vest/dumbbell plan they offer. The Afghan prep program would also probably be very good for a hunter (it is for "hunters" after all...) and only use some minimal equipment items.

For year-round fitness you don't necessarily want to train highly sport-specific for the whole year. Some great material on all this is here: https://journalofmountainhunting.com/category/content/mountain-fitness/

A Military/Mountain plan with kettlebells: Military Deployment Prep: A Program for Hardening the Soldier - StrongFirst

Lots can be done with only a kettlebell and a pull-up bar.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For year-round fitness you don't necessarily want to train highly sport-specific for the whole year.

Definitely agree. The big game prep is an 8week ramp to hammer on legs/core/lungs from your rear round baseline.

For males the gear on that is a pack (with ballast at 25lb, 40lb, 75lb if I recall right in my glancing), 25# dumbells, 60# rubber mulch sandbag, 16" step box, and a hand counter is handy to keep track of the long step up sessions.

I haven't decided on a name for my sandbag yet but that pig will earn one sooner or later :p, its earned some grass and blood stains so far (cut on my finger opened up that I needed to tape when I noticed it).

20768003_10208413351366171_7095975526383610584_n.jpg