Rucking and trekking poles?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends on the weight. Lighter stuff I don't usually bother. Heavier loads yes poles, my hunting boots, etc. as that is my system in the field so I want to train for it in full which includes working out the kinks but also getting the arms used to helping propel me up hills.

I don't because it get a better workout with out them. While I'm training I want to be using my core and stabilizer muscles as much as possible. I also live in flat land and walk on flat areas and up stairs in parking garages so it's not optimal training.

I do, much better full body workout, burn more calories. I'm climbing 1.5k feet pretty much straight up 3 days a week with 65lbs non stop. I'm pouring sweat all the way. Quick breather at the top then my descent. My descent is a very fast pace in a skiers stance, weight on the balls of my feet quick foot work and pole plants. Poles are a must for this. It torches the front of the quads.

I use 2# hand weights and no poles. Rucking with a 70# pack now so ditto on core workout. What you don't realize as a bowhunter you are carrying your 5# bow around all day so hand weights help. Upping to 5# soon to finish off my training b4 the hunt in 2 weeks.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you plan on using trekking poles hunting, would be best to get very used to them; if you don't plan on using them hunting no reason to train with them

I have some light fold up ones that spend most of their time on pack; but if I'm lucky enough to harvest something they get broken out- a wonderful asset when carrying a heavy load

When I am training with heavy loads I will use them. I have the luxury of some steep and hilly areas to train in. I couldn't imagine packing out an Elk in similar terrain by myself without trekking poles.

I train the same way I hunt, pretty much using the exact same equipment, so yes, I use my trekking poles. I try and mimic the hunt when I am training with the only exception being, I'll dump most all the weight out of my pack prior to coming down off the mountain. I don't want to have the added wear and tear on my knees that comes with packing a heavy load down hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk