Is it normal to hurt here?

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I've narrowed it down to EITHER my pack fitting OR my untrained glutes. I guess the specific question I need to ask is this, "does anyone else have personal experience with this, and if so what did you do to remedy the issue?"
Squats and deads train proper hip hinge.

Not just the glutes, but the entire pelvic girdle. Training under load.

I used to have the same issues. Squats and deadlifts with proper form were my cure. Throw in some RDL's

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fittohunt

FNG
Your glutes are weak. Squats and deadlifts. As heavy as you can go while still using proper form. 5x5's are ideal for building strength under a load.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I see this is an older thread on OP has probably already hunted. But I’ll still add my comments, because I’m still training for a late hunt.

How many miles do you have with lighter weights? Like three 4 mile trips with 25 lbs, then 40 lbs, then at 55 lbs, etc. Starting with a 80 lbs pack is not smart and is begging for a serious injury. Work longer trips with lighter weights. Then start to work the weight up. This will condition your feet, legs, hips and back. You get a really great workout with just 40-50 lbs over 6 miles that has some incline/ decline. These light and intermediate weights will also help you get the pack fitted properly before the pack hits 80 lbs and you have pains that could result in an injury.

Work the weight up slowly. Start with a lighter pack over longer distances. Be smart. Jumping into a heavy pack right before the hunt could send you into the hunt injured. Or at worse, you’ll not make the hunt.

peddar01

FNG
Just last year we had RAGBRI "bike ride across Iowa" come through our little town. I was looking at how they get in shape for this. One thing that struck me was seat time. A guy told me you could be in the best physical shape of anyone on the ride and not make a full day if you don't have the seat time! Your butt isn't used to it. That got me thinking back country elk hunting. I'm in good shape but my hips and arse still get sore on the mountain. Pack is adjusted right, trust me I've read and tried it all. So this year I plan on doing more weighted pack hiking, not super heavy, just conditioning those parts to get used to the added weight.

jp0212

FNG
I figured I would chime in as someone else may have the same issue. It is almost certainly an issue with your glutes being weak causing poor posture. Overall, strengthening your glutes should help, but you will want to focus on your deep core muscles as well. More than likely the load is causing your posture to shift, which causes your pelvis to rotate, which exposes any muscular imbalance you may have (i.e. your glutes). Long store short, the pain is your muscle fatiguing much faster than your other muscles. I would strongly recommend you avoid things like squats and deadlifts to start. Although they do work your glutes, they rely on lots of other muscles as well. You likely will not be able to hold proper form throughout the motion just making things worse. Start by incorporating other exercises into program like:

Stepups, Lunges, Hip Thrusts, Back Extensions, Clamshells

Or just google Glute Exercises. Start with the stuff that doesn't use weights, then progress.