Is it normal to hurt here?

Hey I'm training for an upcoming hunt. When I put an 80lb sand bag in my pack, the top, outer portion of my butt muscles start hurting. It feels like they're about to cramp up. I've decided it's either from the pressure created by my belt on the upper portion of my butt, OR from working a muscle set that never gets used otherwise. Is this normal? What do you guys advise? Thanks.

Stretch. Find a wall or table about mid-thigh high. stand facing it and raise one leg up and lay the outside of your calf on the wall. if you were sitting, it'd be like resting your calf on your knee, but instead you're resting your calf on the surface in front of you. That should get you stretching in that area. When you're comfortable standing there, start leaning forward to increase the stretch. You can accomplish the same thing by laying on your back, bring an ankle up on top of your opposite knee, then grab that knee and pull it towards your chest. Play around with other stretches and find what works for you. Google and youtube are your friend.

I did foam rolling when I did triathlons, but having trouble figuring out how it would help me with this?

As a triathlete you probably rolled your calves , quads , hammies and such, the muscles you worked, to prevent injury and help recovery. It might be a muscle you dont engage often enough and is getting punished when you drop some weight in your pack. Rolling will increase blood flow to it and stretch the muscle to work the knot out were you feel like is going to cramp. Id roll before and after , just as i do when i work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I get it in the same place and figured it was a muscle group I don't work enough. I could probably stand to squat more and run less

Do you get any sensation that it's harder to lift your legs at all?
If so it may help to get pack to ride a little higher.

OP
Huntingpreacher
Mtnrunner, good question. Not really. I do get a little relief when I loft up the back of the pack with my hands though, so that tells me it MAY have something to do with fitting. I'm wearing a Seek Outside Brooks pack and it's possible that the frame is pressing on the top of my butt muscles just enough to cause the pain. But I'm still guessing (and hoping) it's my weak muscles getting more than they're used to!

OP
Huntingpreacher
Thanks guys. I've narrowed it down to EITHER my pack fitting OR my untrained glutes. I guess the specific question I need to ask is this, "does anyone else have personal experience with this, and if so what did you do to remedy the issue?"

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That area hurt me some with a heavy load prior to adding in a lot of stepups and lunges, I just wasn't using all the muscles running and such. Also obviously check your profile in a mirror to make sure the pack isn't riding low.

OP
Huntingpreacher
Ok thanks. I've tested several things today and one thing I noticed is the pain is more pronounced when heading uphill. I think it's just a little wussitus in that underdeveloped gluten area. I'll ramp up the training. Appreciate all the feedback.

Step ups and lunges will help that out a lot.
When your ready from a break from those you can always Google bubble butt workout and learn some new moves from the ladies.

OP
Huntingpreacher
Lol that sounds good mtnrunner. Part of my problem is my legs go all the way to my back. The Lord didn't seem to think I needed much of a rear in between.

Akicita

WKR
As advised by others strength, conditioning, flexibility and pack adjustment are very important but I would add that it could be posture. If you are leaning to far forward you are going to create tremendous muscle tension in your glutes. . . If you find this may the the case try a different balance to your load or lighten your load. A well balanced load and adjusted pack will have you nearly upright even at your pack weight. At my age I use treking poles going up hill and down hill to relieve muscle tension in my glutes and lower back from overcompensating for angle of attack by leaning to far.

10 day loadout - rifle - 8 days of food - 2.5 litres of water - 70ish pounds.
dbg31qe.jpg