Recoup time after hard hunt?

Hey elk bro's, just got back from a 2 week backpack elk bow hunt in Colorado Rockys. Great hunt, great friends, great opportunities for a harvest! My poor shooting/excitement did me in.LOL. Through the whole hunt processes I lost around 10#'s. I'm 57 and 5'9'' and prior to the hunt I was able to get my weight up to 172#. I trained hard for over 6 months doing pack hikes,cardio via running, and powerlifting. My pre hunt diet consisted of high protein and fats and a lot of veggies. Now that I'm back should I recoup my body by getting back into a good caloric diet and hold off starting back at some training or dive back in to a good workout regimen? Its only been 2 days and I feel like I have a little jet lag even though we drove the 13hrs. home. I plan on getting back to training soon but don't want to overdo it.Thanx.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've learned that for me, active recovery shortens my recovery time vastly. Just sitting around hasn't worked for me, instead some daily walking for a couple of days seems to work wonders. Usually after a couple of days I ease back into my running regime (as well as strength training).

As far as eating, I usually don't hold back after an especially grueling outing; but then again I usually don't hold back period- running 30-40 miles a week kind of spoils a guy on what he can eat :D

Most importantly listen to your body; it will generally give you some good hints into when to start ramping things up (and when not to!).

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I typically jump straight into whitetail hunting immediately, so my actually training lags. It takes me several days to mostly recovered and I'm starving for a week after, especially for protein.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
Much easier to maintain than to start off in a whole after a few weeks. Some hunts are can just be tough on you though. Took me about a week to recover from a short archery hunt a month ago. Not Fun.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
Hey elk bro's, just got back from a 2 week backpack elk bow hunt in Colorado Rockys. Great hunt, great friends, great opportunities for a harvest! My poor shooting/excitement did me in.LOL. Through the whole hunt processes I lost around 10#'s. I'm 57 and 5'9'' and prior to the hunt I was able to get my weight up to 172#. I trained hard for over 6 months doing pack hikes,cardio via running, and powerlifting. My pre hunt diet consisted of high protein and fats and a lot of veggies. Now that I'm back should I recoup my body by getting back into a good caloric diet and hold off starting back at some training or dive back in to a good workout regimen? Its only been 2 days and I feel like I have a little jet lag even though we drove the 13hrs. home. I plan on getting back to training soon but don't want to overdo it.Thanx.
Odds are that your glycogen levels are shot. Need to carb back up and hit it. I used to be messed up for a week after hunts. Not anymore. I hit the carbohydrates hard for a couple days, and back in the garage gym immediately. I just packed out a cow elk yesterday morning and did an upper body push/core day when i got home. My lifts are usually crap for about a week until I rebuild those glycogen levels...but it's never too soon to get started for next year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
Do you check your HRV? If so, let it be your guide. HRV is probably the best bio feedback measurement available. If you don't check it...start.

I mentioned my cow elk pack and workout. But after i killed my bull this year it took me several days for my HRV to get back to normal. Much tougher hunt. I stayed away until that came back down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk