Knee pain

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I woke up about a month ago and boom both knees were pretty painful. I had walked on the treadmill the night before for about 30 minutes which is about usual. I am fairly active 51 years old 6 ft 195 lbs so not skinny but not fat. Aleve kind of dulls the pain but not completely. I have been thinking it was gonna stop but nope. Left knee is not as bad but the right sucks. Any suggestions ?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Could be a lot of things that may need a pro to evaluate but here is my situation: I am 59 and have had left knee scoped twice due to cartilage wear. Former track, cross country, and later in life just fitness running. I stopped running and mostly bike other than some sprints on grass. Been puppying these knees for 35 years so I can hunt and be active. No deep lunges, easy on pack weight etc.

Anyway....Glucosamine has been MAGIC for me. I have gone off it twice and both times my knees would ache mainly while stationary. Buy the vegetable based version (Swanston Health has it online). many come with Chondroitin as a combo. That gave me upset stomach. My ortho says it is a scam but he is a Gluco evangelist as am I. I just take one a day and ramp it up before mountain trips. Takes about 3 weeks or so to see difference so be consistent.

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
I would add a couple things to what's already been said:

Phenocane & krill oil supplements. Research them.

How much do you sit during the day? I had been having similar issues and changed to a standing work station. Really helped lower back and joint pain.

Shoes and feet. Along with the sitting, I found my heels on my shoes continually pushed me into a unnatural stance/gait. Moved to a more neutral sole and feel really good now after and added exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If this is out of the blue and no prior knee issues would have someone check them...good luck

Fishhead

FNG
I second the glucosamine chondroitin... Been a game changer. I had been suffering from left knee pain for almost 15 years. After 2 to 3 weeks of supplementing the pain is gone. My left knee hasn't hurt for the last 5 years.

I'd get off the NSAIDs. Tylenol, Advil, Alieve, Ibuprofen. Recent studies have shown that chronic use of any of the over the counter NSAIDs cause hardening of the arteries within the heart.

i would go with 2hand's recommendations and Gusto's as well.

Might want to look into a traction unit/ inversion table to help alleviate any compression issues.

- Bob