Trail running shoes

TWGator

FNG
Any suggestions? I've been thinking about some Solomons of some sort. Been just wearing Nike running shoes and mostly running on grass trails but considering doing more dirt trails. I live in Florida so all flat ground but sand and water everywhere. Also would probably trade the boots for good shoes on at least a couple days in the elk woods.

OP
T

TWGator

FNG
Thanks, i hear great things about Brooks. Probably best to go try a bunch of different shoes on. That Courtney dauwalter that won the Moab 240 was wearing solomons and she beat Cam by about a day so I thought i might start there.

Grumman

WKR
I love the Solomon Speedcross 4. Everyone is different in regards to fit but those are perfect for me. Great traction and durability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
Not sure if they're really a trail runner, but I love the Merrell All-Out Blaze. They have minimal drop and are really flexible. The toe box is super wide. They have killer tread that actually lasts a long time. I use them for backpacking on-trail in the summer when it's hot and dry and wear them around town every day. I get a couple years use out of them before the tread is worn down.

Manager at the Merrell outlet told me that Superfeet designed the footbed for them. That's probably why I like them so much. They fit my foot better than any other shoe I've had.

I like the Merrell Trail Glove also.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
by favorite trail runners, the Pearl Izumi N2's and N3's are sadly discontinued, but I also own a couple of pairs La Sportiva's- Mutant and the Akasha that I can recommend; La Sportiva has really good outsoles- pretty aggressive paired with a sticky compound

definitely try on a bunch of shoes- fit is king when it comes to shoes

You should go to a running shoe store and find out your foot type and go from there. You dont have to purchase there cause they are expensive but youll know what type of shoe to look for. I was having problem with my shins until i did this and the shoe type they recommended worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
T

TWGator

FNG
I was sure hoping you would all come in saying one shoe was the best. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna plan a trip to a running shoe store.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I am a little late to the party, but if you are still searching my go to for the last couple years has been the Saucony Peregrines. I’ve recently tried and like the La Sportiva Bushidos, but they run a little narrow for me. I’ve also run some miles in the New Balance Leadvilles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steadman

WKR
Inova 8 for me. Like said before everyone has different feet. Try a lot if you can

FURMAN

WKR
A good shoe store will have a treadmill so you can actually run in the shoes prior to buying. Nike and Brooks both have trial periods so you can exchange free of charge if you do not like the shoes.

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I run trails in Altra shoes. I've had the Lone Peaks (2.5 and 3.0) and now the Superiors (3.0). They're becoming a more popular brand in the trail running and ultramarathon community. I like them because they have a wide toe box and zero drop. Those two features are their signature on all their shoes and I think it's helped with my form.

twall13

WKR
Old thread but I'll add my $0.02 anyway. As others have said, it's best to go to a good running store where they can analyze your foot and stride. I'd suggest buying your first pair from them if they do the analysis. After you know what type works for you buy anywhere you want but I think they deserve a purchase for the service of analyzing your foot.

I found my knees like a zero drop shoe, it improves my form so I have a forefoot strike. Merrell trail gloves are pretty good but the vivobarefoot shoes have a wider toe box and work best for me. I also like Altra Lone Peaks to change it up and add some cushion but still keep the zero drop. Most of the time I prefer the minimalist zero drop of the vivobarefoot shoes. Currently running the Primus FG's. Lots of good options out there, it takes a bit to figure out what works for you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Don't get fixated on a brand or style of shoe- find shoes that feel good and fit YOU. Just because brand X works for Joe, it could be a train wreck for you. I have ran in, or at least tried on most of the shoes mentioned above. For me, some have fit good, some did not. Shoes/boots are one of the most individualistic items we wear.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you're just finding shoes; I'd highly recommend running warehouse- they do NOT have the cheapest prices typically, BUT they do offer a 90 day "try them" period, not around the living room with the tags still on- you can actually run in them for up to 90 days and return them if they don't work out. you won't get your money refunded, but will get store credit to try another size or another model- they do have caveat if you return too many shoes every 90 days they will end the deal for you

if you do find a pair that works well for you, I'd suggest buying a few extra pairs (my shoes typically last 500-ish miles) as unfortunately models do change or go away :(