how to trim it down

ddiwd33

Banned
guys please don't take this funny because its not :mad: , I a not a fat guy and I don't drink much but I got a big belly and I hate it. wanna try to cut it off. please I need real life help. exercise and healthy food advice all welcome.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to cut it off fast I'd recommend an Esee knife!! 😀

But seriously I'd say drop carbs from your diet as much as possible,try to eat lean meat and vegetables

I'm terrible with exercise like workouts or running etc but I love doing him keys so I try to get out doing hikes with moderate loads and i find it more enjoyable that just normal exercise routine

jtw

WKR
You’re going to get different answers based on who you talk to.
Keto diet is all the rage right now. But No long term research on its health effects though.

Some just cut carbs.
Some cut calories in general.
Some work with a dietician.
or try something you learned about on the internet....

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
Keto has been around since the '50's I believe.

Stick with single ingredient foods. No processed stuff esp sugars.

Sprint/HIIT workout twice a week. Lift heavy twice a week. Fill other days with fun, active, things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
D

ddiwd33

Banned
You’re going to get different answers based on who you talk to.
Keto diet is all the rage right now. But No long term research on its health effects though.

Some just cut carbs.
Some cut calories in general.
Some work with a dietician.
or try something you learned about on the internet....

Yes, i agree with you, so many stories on the internet and i dont know which one, some say sit-ups help takes off the belly fat but i dont think thats true, been doing it for a month now and my stomach hurts like hell and yet no positive result.

• Banned
OP
D

ddiwd33

Banned
Keto has been around since the '50's I believe.

Stick with single ingredient foods. No processed stuff esp sugars.

Sprint/HIIT workout twice a week. Lift heavy twice a week. Fill other days with fun, active, things.

did you try this ?

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
did you try this ?

I did do Keto and I've gone through phases of strict cardio and strict weights as well as combo of both. The combo worked bette for me.

Keto was a revelation. First it's on the extreme end of the spectrum as far as diets go. It was hard. About 3 weeks in it felt like normal and I was working well with it. Second, I've never felt better on a diet.

Stid2677

WKR
Yes, i agree with you, so many stories on the internet and i dont know which one, some say sit-ups help takes off the belly fat but i dont think thats true, been doing it for a month now and my stomach hurts like hell and yet no positive result.

Target fat loss is a myth,, fat accumulates from the source and moves up and down from there. On a man the stomach or (belly fat) is the first place it starts at and the last place it leaves from. Women tend to put it on in the hip/buttocks area. 2 years ago I decided to take control of my weight and went from 192 to 140. 140 was too thin for me so I settled in at 150, I have maintained that weight since. I have several injuries so waking is what I do for exercise. Really must know what you need for calories and how many you are eating everyday. I cut all sugar (as much as possible as sugar is hidden in many items) eat a high protein, moderate fat diet. Very few carbs, and little to no alcohol. Boiled eggs, nuts, avocados, lots of meat, fish, poultry. After about 3 weeks off sugar the starving went away, I would eat eggs or nuts to help with carvings and would eat a bit and walk away for a few minutes, most times the hunger would fade. I also practice intermittent fasting, my last calories consumed is no later than 8pm and no calories until noon. I walk before I eat, so I exercise in a fasted state. There is no magic pill,, if you ate more than you burn, you gain weight, eat less and you drop weight. Doing crazy sits will give you ab muscles, but if covered with fat, they will not be seen and the increased muscles will make your stomach look fatter. Dropping that 40 lbs lowered my blood pressure from 150/100 to 120/80, with many other joint and overall health improvements.

Best of luck on your quest.

Steve

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Cut out simple carbs such a flour and sugar. I went from 230lb to 200 by cutting out simple carbs. Not changing exercise or anything. From what I’ve learned diet is 80to 90% of what causes some one to get fat leaving exercise the other 10 to 20%. I used to make fun of the gluten free craze but there’s something to it. flour and grains and equivalent to eating straight sugar causing an insulin response adding fat to the body. I personally follow a paleo “ish” diet trying to eat paleo 80% of the time.

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
A common theme is developing here, so I'll pile on. Eat real food, burn more calories than you consume, and drink half your lb bodyweight in oz of water every day. Make it easy so you'll stick with it. Green leafy veggies, protein, and only good carbs (wild rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc.). Avoid starches, refined sugar/flour, and anything that didn't grow/live. It is easy to get stressed about this diet or that exercise; just keep your goal in mind. Don't be afraid of fat, it won't make you fat. Watch your total calorie intake and stay in a deficit as often as possible. Try to remember that if you "cheat" or eat too much one day, or have some birthday cake, it's not over. Just like missing a bull broadside at 20 yards, we've all done it, and all you can do is be better tomorrow. Take a lifetime view of fitness and nutrition, and stick with it. Ounces equal pounds in weight loss on the body as much as in the pack; patience and persistence, my friend. Best of luck!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
Start off with a list of what you are doing and eating.

Currently doing any exercise?
If not do you prefer running or weights?
Or have you ever worked out before?
Do you drink soda?
What are you meals like?
How old are you?
How tall and what do you weigh?

In May I was 217 for a variety of reason, but my schedule/life changed and it was time to do something. Started lifting weights at lunch everyday. If I missed a day I made it up in the afternoon or came in early. Then run one day on the weekends.

I'm 35 and it took me 6 weeks to see any weight come off. When I was 28 it took 2 weeks. Just to give you some idea of how things change as you get older. During those 6 weeks I was gaining muscle/strength which accounts for some of the weight level. Muscle is heavier than fat so adding any muscle will be frustrating on the scale until your body catches up and you have your muscle mass and then start losing the fat.

It feels counter intuitive but an intense weight workout will burn more fat than a long run. Intense is the keyword.

Lunch time is difficult but now my co-workers know I lift at lunch and won't attend meetings or do lunches, make the sacrifices and it will pay off.

I'm down to 195 and would like to see 190 on the scale between now and next hunting season.

Most important thing is consistency and figuring out what works for you. I had a co-worker who has 0 desire to workout so he started portioning his meals/snacks. Came to work everyday with ziplock bags and Tupperware with correct potions for meals and snacks. This limited him for eating a TexMex plate that could feed 3 in one sitting. He went from 280 to 220 over a year. There is no one answer but you have to figure out what will fit in your life and none of it will be easy. Diets and plans are great if you are the person that will stick with them.

If you can workout at lunch or for an hour a day let me know and I will post up my routine if it will help.

bwlacy

WKR
If you want a written plan look up the P90X diet plan and menu. It's pretty much what has already been said here. Lot's of protein, no carbs or sugar, lots of water, good fats, etc... They just lay it all out for you. If you follow it and stick with it the weight will come off no mater what work out your doing.

I struggle with this constantly. First I am addicted to sugar, this runs in my family. I can lift heavy for a long period of time, but the fat never goes away. I just bulk up. I have to do massive amounts of intense cardio to drop weight. I use to swim for an hour every day. I do not have access to a pool now so I am going to have to start running and/or rucking to and from work. Diet is big. I try to limit my sugar and carbs and only eat clean foods.

Lots of good advice on here. I wouldn’t do keto unless you’re committed. If you frequently cheat on keto, it’s nothing but a bad diet. If you’re over 30 you should cut out all foods with sugar in the ingredients no matter what diet you choose. Even if they’re marketed as health food. You should take an eat to live mentality and not let yourself get hungry at least in the beginning. As far as exercise, the harder and more miserable it is the better. The most important workouts are the ones you dread the most. The most important time to workout is when you don’t feel like it. Workout plans that preach moderation and allow you to stay in the comfort zone are bullshit sceems to attract fat weak people.
Good luck!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the end it is all about calories in versus expenditure. You need to have a caloric deficit and cut out most of the sugar. Develop any plan that you can be consistent with and set a goal or target or reward. For me it is about making things easy as possible, weighing in each day, mentally tracking what I eat and being dliligent on my exercise and what I eat. Drink lots of water and don’t restrict anything just be mindful of the quantity taken in versus what you are targeting. Try to do some form of exercise each day even if just a short interval of some type and push-ups and pull-ups. Good luck👍

Intermittent fasting was groundbreaking for me. Cool to see you are an Iowa guy too by the way. Check out Leangains and Martin Berkhan, he is simple, to the point, and it flat works! Lift heavy and try and walk 2-3 days a week. Once you get past a couple weeks the fasting gets easy. Lets you eat huge meals and you aren't doing cardio on end where you burn out. I would suggest throwing your pack on, loading it with some sand bags and get moving. Hard to climb mountains when you are out of shape.

ChrisA

WKR
Iowa guy here too. What worked for me was cutting out sugars, alcohol, anything with flour/grain, and potatoes. I went crazy nuts and stuck to it for 2 months. Went from 218 to 193 and I'm 44. Shamefully, I'm back to were I started and then some. I changed my life style for 2 months then reverted back to former one.

Starting again today as I'm sick of being sore, and carrying around an extra 20 lbs. The hell of it is finding friends and family that don't drink, pretty frickin hard around here. Plus I'm in the road a lot and attend a lot of meetings where lunch is provided and it's usually laden with carbs and sugars and junk.

Good luck,

Chris