how to trim it down

Iowa guy here too. What worked for me was cutting out sugars, alcohol, anything with flour/grain, and potatoes. I went crazy nuts and stuck to it for 2 months. Went from 218 to 193 and I'm 44. Shamefully, I'm back to were I started and then some. I changed my life style for 2 months then reverted back to former one.

Starting again today as I'm sick of being sore, and carrying around an extra 20 lbs. The hell of it is finding friends and family that don't drink, pretty frickin hard around here. Plus I'm in the road a lot and attend a lot of meetings where lunch is provided and it's usually laden with carbs and sugars and junk.

Good luck,

Chris

Good job getting back to it. When I’m doing good on my keto diet, I’m eating all real food and green vegetables. Sometimes it’s just too inconvenient with life, but I find that as long as I hold the line on keeping my carbs low, I can eat junk (meat sticks and cheese from a gas station, cheeseburger without bun, sardines, diet pop, even vodka)
And not gain weight. It’s not long term healthy, but it allows me to go about life when necessary without totally breaking discipline, and without becoming a fat bastard. In time it does get easier. Nobody ever looks back and regrets the decision to get healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iowa guy here too. What worked for me was cutting out sugars, alcohol, anything with flour/grain, and potatoes. I went crazy nuts and stuck to it for 2 months. Went from 218 to 193 and I'm 44. Shamefully, I'm back to were I started and then some. I changed my life style for 2 months then reverted back to former one.

Starting again today as I'm sick of being sore, and carrying around an extra 20 lbs. The hell of it is finding friends and family that don't drink, pretty frickin hard around here. Plus I'm in the road a lot and attend a lot of meetings where lunch is provided and it's usually laden with carbs and sugars and junk.

Good luck,

Chris

ChrisA, where are you at in Iowa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look online for a book called "Lose your love handles" by Mackie Shilstone. It can be found used on Amazon for less than $10. It has a complete nutrition guide, as well as simple exercises. He is a nutrition expert, and was a strength and conditioning coach for the New Orleans Saints. He is local (New Orleans), and definitely knows his stuff.
It has a section that lists foods that are not good to eat for belly fat, and a list of the ones that you should eat. It is based on the "Sugar Busters" diet (lo carb), and the diet is easy to follow (as long as you don't eat SUGAR !!, which is my weakness).

Last edited:

Akicita

WKR
Intermittent fasting was groundbreaking for me. Once you get past a couple weeks the fasting gets easy. Lets you eat huge meals and you aren't doing cardio on end where you burn out. I would suggest throwing your pack on, loading it with some sand bags and get moving. Hard to climb mountains when you are out of shape.

I'm not a diet fad guy but one thing I learned in my military days pushing the "Rules of 3" to the limit was I don't need to eat every day. On inactive days I will only eat one meal and on active days maybe two. I supplement with a good daily vitamin and minerals. I eat what I want (usually late in the evening) and in moderation. I portion my meals realistically and never eat until I am full. I have my ups and downs in weight but can adjust either way by fasting or increasing caloric intake without ever going to an extreme.

"Hard to climb mountains when you are out of shape." Amen to that skyleralan, at 55 I'm still climbing and hope to do so for many decades to come

AMlLAvQ.jpg

I'm not a diet fad guy but one thing I learned in my military days pushing the "Rules of 3" to the limit was I don't need to eat every day. On inactive days I will only eat one meal and on active days maybe two. I supplement with a good daily vitamin and minerals. I eat what I want (usually late in the evening) and in moderation. I portion my meals realistically and never eat until I am full. I have my ups and downs in weight but can adjust either way by fasting or increasing caloric intake without ever going to an extreme.

"Hard to climb mountains when you are out of shape." Amen to that skyleralan, at 55 I'm still climbing and hope to do so for many decades to come

AMlLAvQ.jpg
You are doing it right man! You should have wrote a book you could be a millionaire. Like many fads, many people have been adhering to or following certain principles with good results. They just never take the time to give it a "name". Glad you are healthy and active. Great picture. My only mistake was not planting roots in the mountains when I was young and single!

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

I eat about 5 times a day and carb cycle . Started like 3 yrs ago been staying 190-195lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I eat about 5 times a day and carb cycle . Started like 3 yrs ago been staying 190-195lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Consistency is a huge deal. Find what works and stick with it. Carb cycling regardless of your meal schedule and amount of meals I think is huge.

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

JERF. Just Eat Real Food. If it doesn't come from an animal or grow out of the ground, its probably not something you should eat when trying to lose weight.

Don't drink your calories. Stick to water and protein shakes. No juice, pop, booze, etc.

Exercise hard. Whether that's weights or cardio or both. Do it for 30-60 minutes a day at least 4 days a week.

If you do that and have weight to lose, over time it will be impossible to not lose weight. The low carb diet worked well for me, but without a doubt, the most effective diet is the one you can stick with consistently for several months/years. Patience and consistency are the absolute most important things when it comes to losing weight. Don't get discouraged, just stick with it and it will work. Trust the process.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reading this stuff makes me realize how subjective it all is. I have read so much that contradicts each other it makes my head spin. Genetics is also a big part. My pant size is 3" bigger from my high school days 20 years later. I don't diet. I eat what I want in moderation and try to avoid drinking calories. I have a massive sweet tooth and love my sugary treats. I don't really exercise but try to stay active. I am 6' 1" and about 180#.

The best bet for any individual may just be an appointment with a dietician.

I did do Keto and I've gone through phases of strict cardio and strict weights as well as combo of both. The combo worked bette for me.

Keto was a revelation. First it's on the extreme end of the spectrum as far as diets go. It was hard. About 3 weeks in it felt like normal and I was working well with it. Second, I've never felt better on a diet.

This was my experience as well. 25lbs in 2 months and I feel great. I'm still eating keto, but no longer eating a calorie deficit.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member

Good luck,

Chris

THIS^^^^^^right here is classic. Why, because it's unsustainable for most people. Anyone can give up everything for a short period. Problem is when you "fall off", it's back to the nothing. Go up a couple of post's from this original one ( around 16) and read Ross's post. For the most part that will work for most people. Find a balance and it will work.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a subject I know deer (see what I did there :)) to heart. I could go on about it for days. I'll say this.......

Eat Clean for the most part 80/20 will do most people just fine.
Eat often, 6ish times per day, but smaller portions.
Spend more time in the kitchen and grocery store, it will bring more results than the gym.
You need to have your motivation, I don't mean short term, I mean life long motivation. Find what fuels you :)
If you plan to diet, you are in high probability, going to fail long term. It needs to be a lifestyle change.

Mosby

WKR
Age and metabolism will impact results. I am taking a 6 month approach, in part because of my age. No soda, very little bread, no pizza, no sandwiches, skim milk instead of 2 %, no candy bars, no snack food and ice cream are the major changes. I put away my 12 year old bourbon. 1500 calories a day. Trying not to waste calories. Primarily low fat, high protein but very little wheat. Switched from splenda to raw sugar in coffee. I use honey in my tea. Eating things like apples, bananas or dried fruit for a snacks but limiting that because of the sugars. Egg whites instead of eggs. Oatmeal for breakfast most days, like it or not. Margarine instead of butter when I use it. A lot of broiled fish. Limited potatoes or rice but lots of vegetables. Carbs are not your friends but helpful before a workout. Limited processed food. A lot of skinless, boneless chicken. Getting up early in morning to increase metabolism. Walk and work out a couple times a day. 20 minute workouts are better than none. Small things add up. Ounces/calories become pounds so I count both. It has to become a daily lifestyle change. If you don't buy it, you can't eat it. So I don't buy a lot of things I used to. I am a few weeks into my new approach. It is starting to get easier as I adjust to it.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Age and metabolism will impact results. I am taking a 6 month approach, in part because of my age. No soda, very little bread, no pizza, no sandwiches, skim milk instead of 2 %, no candy bars, no snack food and ice cream are the major changes. I put away my 12 year old bourbon. 1500 calories a day. Trying not to waste calories. Primarily low fat, high protein but very little wheat. Switched from splenda to raw sugar in coffee. I use honey in my tea. Eating things like apples, bananas or dried fruit for a snacks but limiting that because of the sugars. Egg whites instead of eggs. Oatmeal for breakfast most days, like it or not. Margarine instead of butter when I use it. A lot of broiled fish. Limited potatoes or rice but lots of vegetables. Carbs are not your friends but helpful before a workout. Limited processed food. A lot of skinless, boneless chicken. Getting up early in morning to increase metabolism. Walk and work out a couple times a day. 20 minute workouts are better than none. Small things add up. Ounces/calories become pounds so I count both. It has to become a daily lifestyle change. If you don't buy it, you can't eat it. So I don't buy a lot of things I used to. I am a few weeks into my new approach. It is starting to get easier as I adjust to it.

1500 calories, why?

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
Cut carbs, eliminate alcohol, count calories (MyFitnessPal app will help), 60 minutes of exercise 3-5 days per week. Load up on protein and green veggies. Keep a cheat meal 2-3x per month based on progress. Eat right 95% of the time and you'll be fine. Everything in moderation.

Good luck.

Jason

Outlaw99

WKR
There is no secret or wonder easy diet. Trimming down and getting lean is about eating cleaning and burning the appropriate amount of calories to attain whatever goals you have. You can eat all the broiled fish and raw spinach in the the world, but if you consistently sit on your ass and no nothing, you’re not going to see dramatic results. On the same thought, you could eat nothing but a pint of ice cream a day and 2 cans of pringles, but exercise vigorously the right amount, and you could see lbs drop off. To trim down, loose weight, tone muscle, and look and feel better, it is a lifestyle change. You can go high protein, no carb hard, and see some great results, but over time, you’ll still likely crash and burn. You need carbs and far, to give you the energy to exercise to continue burning calories and toning your muscles. Going hard on protein alone, your body will eventually start trying to feed itself off your muscles because you haven’t supplied it with enough carbs or fat to fuel the fire to continue building muscle. If you’re serious and committed and want to see optimum results, eliminate sugars, white carbs, alcohol, process and fried foods. Eat as many eggs, elk, venison, fish, turkey, chicken, salmon as you want. Eat a some raw vegetable with every meal if you can. Supplement raw fruits and in salted raw nuts in between meals. Don’t over due the fruits, they contain sugar as well. Eat good carbs with those said meals, Brown rice, black beans, steel rolled oats, whole grain tortillas. Eat all that crap religiously, don’t cheat, give yourself at least 30min of exercise 4 days a week, preferable more with some HIT, strength training, and cardio mixed alternately. If you’re committed, you’ll see the results you want and choose to continue and feel and look good. If you’re not, you’ll find an excuse, and go back to your old ways. This whole in shape healthy thing is black and white; people try to make it gray with excuses, but that’s all they are.