how to trim it down

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
Flour/Bread/Beer removal has caused the biggest changes for the better. I sleep better too since taking those items out of my diet.

marktripp

FNG
I have real life experience with weight loss and becoming healthier overall. I’m 6’3” and I went from 270lbs down to 185lbs at one point, 185lb is my running weight only if I’m going to do a race. You can accomplish weight loss many different ways. What I found to work the best is a Primal/Paleo lifestyle. I’ve done the low fat, keto, less meat more fruit veggies, and it all will work to some extent.
Calories in VS calories out will work with anything, even McDonalds food. If health and well-being along with body composition is your goal I would recommend adopting the Primal way of life.
I’ve done many different experiments with my own body and would be happy to go further in detail if you’d like. You can email me, find me on the Facebook, or send me a text 2073575532
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBhuntr1

FNG
Love this post. Lots of great info on here. Sorry this will be long. I am in the same boat as many of you. I used to be a pretty good athlete in the the team aspect. After those days ended I put on a lot of weight, I mean a lot!!! College=drinking beer, doing shots, drinking more beer and then finishing the night off with lots of pizza and any carbs I could get ahold of. Then after that I graduated, got a sales job, sat in a car and hit the fast food menu everyday, all from the comfort of my car...only movement in the day was walking into a store to meet with key decision makers and then back on the road. That got old quick so I would up going back to school. Keep in mind, my undergrad degree was in the health field. Now I went back to grad school again in the health field, knowing what I knew and was uber unhealthy. I spent the next 4 years sitting in a desk for 6-8 hours a day...by the time I graduated from there I hit 365lbs. Fortunately I am a very athletic build so I can hide the weight, but thats what I weighed last Feb. One thing I learned is using climbers, climbing sticks or just really longs hikes with a pack up and down terrain isn't fun or easy at that weight. I have since lost 70lbs and am continuing to keep going.

There are two things that helped me. I started out Keto, and loved it and quickly realized that one simply doesn't need to commit to a specific "diet". Take the major points from everyone on here that has had success and use what works for you. Another big thing is expend more than you take in. The body is designed to move, when you stop moving you start gaining weight and the joints start getting tight...that's a problem for the mobile hunter. The main thing is get back on eating good, fresh, non-preserved food as best as you can and plan ahead of time so you don't need to make that terrible decision to pull up to the double arches. For me, those two things changed my results drastically. The kitchen is the biggest thing when it comes to losing weight, but movement is absolutely crucial to all other aspects of health. As stated in the previous post, you can be successful in a lot of different diets, but look long term with your overall health and wellness is the key. One last thing. Les Welch made a comment to me once about it being a mindset. He's absolutely correct. I was just going through the day to day routine when I was in school. Everyday was essentially the same for several years for me. The woods, rivers, mountain, etc...were but a distant, albeit constant daydream for me because I couldn't get away often to enjoy them. Get your mind right first. Set your GOALS...meaning write them down and hold yourself accountable to them. Most guys on here are of a different breed when it comes to challenge. If they weren't, they wouldn't willingly walk into the night of the mountain and stay, only to wake up the next day to traverse near vertical through underbrush and crap in search of what they came for. It's the same with losing weight, and getting in shape...it's a mindset. I have a long way to go, but have made big leaps from where I was a year ago. Take everything here and whittle it down to what works for you...but get your mind right first. Good luck-

efnm

WKR
I have real life experience with weight loss and becoming healthier overall. I’m 6’3” and I went from 270lbs down to 185lbs at one point, 185lb is my running weight only if I’m going to do a race. You can accomplish weight loss many different ways. What I found to work the best is a Primal/Paleo lifestyle. I’ve done the low fat, keto, less meat more fruit veggies, and it all will work to some extent.
Calories in VS calories out will work with anything, even McDonalds food. If health and well-being along with body composition is your goal I would recommend adopting the Primal way of life.
I’ve done many different experiments with my own body and would be happy to go further in detail if you’d like. You can email me, find me on the Facebook, or send me a text 2073575532
Good luck

Mark,

Why don't you expound a bit on your story, age, and what your routine is via a thread or a detailed response here? It would multiply the effectiveness of what you learned. I know I'd appreciate it.

marktripp

FNG
Mark,

Why don't you expound a bit on your story, age, and what your routine is via a thread or a detailed response here? It would multiply the effectiveness of what you learned. I know I'd appreciate it.

I can do that. Would you prefer it be it’s own thread or here?

marktripp

FNG
First off I am not in any way shape or form a fitness coach, trainer, dietician or anything of the sort, just passionate about sharing my story so someone else can learn from it.

In 2006(ish) at the age of 26, I was at the peak of my worst shape of my life, 6’3” and 270lbs, high processed carbohydrate diet, smoker, non-exerciser, beer drinker, chronic common colds, the verge of BP medication, etc, terrible.

Early in 2007 I found out I was going to become a dad in the fall. Having a father myself that wasn’t able to do the thing I wanted when I was a kid, I was determined not to be that dad. I quit smoking and decided it was time to change my life. The worst part, I was a firefighter and could workout while on duty, problem being the culture. I was at an less proactive department that being out of shape was the norm, actually we had weight equipment that up until I started using it mostly sat untouched and collecting dust.

I started with just portion control, no calorie counting or anything of the such, simply just shrunk my portions and it was working. I dropped a few pounds, felt better but still was plagued with aches, pains, and illness a few times a year. I stumbled my way for a couple years like this, working out minimally and seeing slow progress.

In 2008 a very good friend of mine was getting ready for deployment, he was a police officer in the same town so was afforded the opportunity to use our equipment at the fire station. So we would both do some research and try new things and report back what worked well, what didn’t etc. Then one day he came back from drill and said “I got it”, got what? “We are going to change to a primal lifestyle”, huh, sounds weird I thought. So anyway we both took off on this journey, not knowing much about it but both committed.

At the same time I had the desire to change the town I worked for, going for bigger and better opportunity. With that though came a physical agility test, nothing crazy the toughest being a 1.5 mile run in under 13min. I trained for that run, hard. I went in to that run at 260lbs and I just made it 12:30. I didn’t get the job, but I made the run, that was a morale victory. Making that run and being involved in the interview process fueled my fire even more. By changing my diet to a grain-free, primal life style allowed me to work harder at training. After a few months I noticed all my aches and pains where gone, sickness, no more. Weight was starting to melt off me, I was running 90 minutes a week, lifting weights 3 days a week, nothing crazy but enough to keep seeing improvement and making me even hungrier.

So I applied a few more times for that new department, they did a joint hiring with the city beside them and every test I showed up a little trimmer and the Chief noticed. He came to me on the last test I took and actually pulled me aside to tell me he’s noticed how I’ve been working hard, this was 2010. This test I completed the run at 9:30 with gas left in the tank, fastest in my group. I ended up landing the position I wanted, there where 75 applicants, they hired 1, me.

Now here it is 2018, I’ve been able to compete in events, id never imagined at a level unfathomable to those that knew the old Mark. I’ve done some 10k’s with my PR being 44:30, competed in a stair climb in full gear up 41 stories in 7:55, just all around improved my quality of life. I’m at a point now where I can make adjustments very easy with my weight depending on my goals. At my smallest I’ve been 185lb but don’t enjoy that weight, 200-210 I find best.

So along my journey I’ve done calorie counting, low-fat high carb, keto, Primal/Paleo, and all of them worked to a certain extent. The Primal/Paleo lifestyle just made the most sense to me. Sure I’ve made poor nutritional choice along my journey but you just have to stay focused on the end result and don’t fall back into the ruts of poor nutrition.

It’s tough for some to give up those breads, pasta, beer, corn, processed foods etc, but trust me the results are worth it. Body composition is 80% made in the kitchen. If you are one of those people like myself then tracking your intake is important, it’s the most important step in making change. If you don’t know what your putting in then your guessing. Cutting out all sugars will really accelerate weight loss as well, sugar of any kind, fruits, honey, maple syrup, and lower your carb intake. Avoid, high starch vegetable, and tailor your carbohydrate intake to your body’s needs.

heysop

FNG
Whatever approach you ultimately end up going with the key is sticking with it. Nothing is going to work in a week. You'll start seeing real results after about 3 weeks if it's working. Stick with it for at least that long. If you're not progressing fast enough, make changes. Make a commitment to yourself that you'll stick with whatever diet you choose for 3 weeks to a month and be strict about it. Always be prepared with snacks and whatever meals you're going to eat that day so you won't be tempted to cheat. It's easy to make an excuse that a friend invited you to lunch, or there were cookies in the break room at work. Skip 'em. Eat your healthy meal or snack and go about your day. I've gone from about 235 to 210 in the past month and a half by cutting out sugar, grains, alcohol, soy, legumes and dairy. Haven't missed any of it except for beer (grains and alcohol, dang). I worked out twice in that time period and dropped 25ish pounds. Working out probably would have sped up the process but I didn't bother. Went on a hike the other day and increased my pace by about .5 mile an hour and was less tired than I was before, all with a heavier pack.

Basically, if you're strict and disciplined, the results will come with whatever you decide to do.

daddie63

WKR
Congrats Mark on your lifestyle change. Thats a huge accomplishment. I enjoy Paleo myself.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Age and metabolism will impact results. I am taking a 6 month approach, in part because of my age. No soda, very little bread, no pizza, no sandwiches, skim milk instead of 2 %, no candy bars, no snack food and ice cream are the major changes. I put away my 12 year old bourbon. 1500 calories a day. Trying not to waste calories. Primarily low fat, high protein but very little wheat. Switched from splenda to raw sugar in coffee. I use honey in my tea. Eating things like apples, bananas or dried fruit for a snacks but limiting that because of the sugars. Egg whites instead of eggs. Oatmeal for breakfast most days, like it or not. Margarine instead of butter when I use it. A lot of broiled fish. Limited potatoes or rice but lots of vegetables. Carbs are not your friends but helpful before a workout. Limited processed food. A lot of skinless, boneless chicken. Getting up early in morning to increase metabolism. Walk and work out a couple times a day. 20 minute workouts are better than none. Small things add up. Ounces/calories become pounds so I count both. It has to become a daily lifestyle change. If you don't buy it, you can't eat it. So I don't buy a lot of things I used to. I am a few weeks into my new approach. It is starting to get easier as I adjust to it.
Margarine is far worse for you than butter. One hydrogen bond away from being plastic. Butter, in moderation, has good fats your body needs and can process. Margarine has zero health benefits.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can't out exercise a crappy diet

Outlaw99

WKR
You can't out exercise a crappy diet

Yup, and yup. It’s kind of like folks who want a six pack and do a zillion crunches but don’t have a six pack....well, they probably have one, but you can’t see it covered up by fat. You can loose weight and still be fat and unhealthy. Bottom line, if u want to loose, u have to consistently burn more than u put in. If u want to trim down, lean down, and loose fat and build muscle, you need to eat clean, strength and cardio train regularly. There’s no shortcuts or magic formulas. It’s black and white