Soft Drink

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
My weakness is soft drinks and when I say weakness I mean I drink way too many! What's the best for trying to transition off of soft drinks? I tried the cold turkey to water but it never sticks. I guess just sheer will power is what is needed.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
sorry I'm no help, never cared for them- now a good IPA.......... :D

I feel your pain. I drink Dr. Pepper like it's going out of style. I have quit a fee times in the past but I always go back to it. I can't stand the taste, or lack of taste, of water. I used Crystal Lite powdered drink mixes to add flavor. I have to have something in the water for taste. Crystal lite seems to have the least amount of junk sweetners in it. I also suffered from caffeine withdrawals, mild headaches, for a couple of days.

Good luck!!

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Try flavoring your water with powder lemonade , mio or something then go less and less until its plain water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Monsters were my crutch: I transitioned to MNT OPS Ignite; less expensive and "I hope" heathier

AdamW

WKR
La Croix sparkling water is what I drink when I want fizz. The lemon or lime flavors are the most soda-like. If you try one and don't like it, try another flavor. Our office started providing some free snacks and it was all junk including cases of soda. I went to our office admin lady and in my manliest voice said "Hey, could you order some Passion Fruit La Croix in the next order?" Haha. In probably the last 3 months I have thought "I think I'll have a Coke/Pepsi" and neither time have I been able to get more than 2 sips out of it before dumping it down the sink. Once you stop drinking that crap regularly, I think you'll find you enjoy it less. I used to drink a Coke per day, sometimes 2.

One other thing, I'd skip drinks like Zevia soda, etc. that are "sweetened" with plant-based alternatives like Stevia, etc. It just keeps you on the sweet kick, at least for a lot of people. I feel like it is more common knowledge that Diet Coke is not a good alternative this day in age, but when it comes to nutrition, take a look around you the next time you are in public.

Good luck man, you CAN do it.

Steadman

WKR
I was in the same boat. I drink the crystal lite like mentioned above. They have packets with caffeine so I don’t get the headaches. I will drink a Mtn dew kickstart every once in awhile but really don’t care for the dark sodas anymore. Good luck it won’t happen overnight but keep at it you’ll overcome!!

Flavored or sparking waters are a good way, i did it by switching to teas both hot or iced and if i need an extra sugar kick i will mix it with lemonade sometimes. It’s crazy then when you don’t drink soda for ages and have one they taste so sweet and different it’s scary! Just be careful with some flavored waters can have just as much sugar as a soda does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
Soda (Cokes) in my case, has been the hardest thing I ever gave up. Been 3 years and I still crazy them, almost pure liquid sugar. Hard to ever lose weight without cutting drank calories. I switched to coffee and tea, both unsweetened.

TheTone

WKR
Switch to one with real sugar or a sugar alternative prior to quitting them entirely? I quit drinking them for anything besides a mixer close to 20 years ago, when I did it was pretty much by going cold turkey

OP
Virginian

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
I feel your pain. I drink Dr. Pepper like it's going out of style. I have quit a fee times in the past but I always go back to it. I can't stand the taste, or lack of taste, of water. I used Crystal Lite powdered drink mixes to add flavor. I have to have something in the water for taste. Crystal lite seems to have the least amount of junk sweetners in it. I also suffered from caffeine withdrawals, mild headaches, for a couple of days.

Good luck!!

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Dr. Pepper and Pepsi are my weaknesses. I'm the same way I will quit for about a week (if i'm lucky) and then relapse hard core. I really don't get withdraws per say but what I do is just stop drinking. If I don't watch myself I'll go all day and not drink anything. I'll have to try the Crystal Lite

Thanks!

OP
Virginian

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
La Croix sparkling water is what I drink when I want fizz. The lemon or lime flavors are the most soda-like. If you try one and don't like it, try another flavor. Our office started providing some free snacks and it was all junk including cases of soda. I went to our office admin lady and in my manliest voice said "Hey, could you order some Passion Fruit La Croix in the next order?" Haha. In probably the last 3 months I have thought "I think I'll have a Coke/Pepsi" and neither time have I been able to get more than 2 sips out of it before dumping it down the sink. Once you stop drinking that crap regularly, I think you'll find you enjoy it less. I used to drink a Coke per day, sometimes 2.

One other thing, I'd skip drinks like Zevia soda, etc. that are "sweetened" with plant-based alternatives like Stevia, etc. It just keeps you on the sweet kick, at least for a lot of people. I feel like it is more common knowledge that Diet Coke is not a good alternative this day in age, but when it comes to nutrition, take a look around you the next time you are in public.

Good luck man, you CAN do it.

I'll have to try La Croix. haha You probably got a couple funny looks requesting sparkling water at work. I can tell they defiantly are addicting. I think if I can stop drinking them for a while, like you I won't want anymore.

You're exactly right, people think caffeine free or diet is so much better, but in reality it's really not.

I'm going to give the sparkling water a go and kick the sodas

Thanks buddy