Simulating carry a bow/gun?

NYSKIER

WKR
As an easterner this was a my second year hunting out west and I'm getting more an more into it. With three potential trips planned for next year I was wondering if anyone as a suggestion for simulating walking around with a bow in there hand. There are times when I find myself carrying my bow in my hand not my pack and my arms/traps get pretty sore after a while. I was wondering if anyone out there who is a certified trainer or is really into fitness could tell me if doing stepups/stepdowns/hiking around with dumbells in my hands will properly strengthen my muscles to make it easier this fall. I also want to make sure that it won't be having a reverse effect and giving me muscle damage.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Steadman

WKR
I’m not a certified trainer but I would think doing farmer carries with 20# dumbbells for longer walks would strengthen those week points. Try to walk a mile with a 20# in each hand without setting them down. That would be a strength builder. I’m sure doing step ups with the same idea would work too. Just my opinion, mabey a trainer could chime in for you. Good luck this next year!

I carry a Pulaski all summer and it has certainly helped me out during the hunting season. It’s way better than a set of dumbbells.

Ucsdryder

WKR
In my opinion you’re wayyyyy over thinking this. Be worried about your legs!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In my opinion you’re wayyyyy over thinking this. Be worried about your legs!

But he's not worried about his legs.......his traps and arms get sore from carrying his bow........not his legs.

Not sure how to fix the traps and arms though. Average hunting bow is probably 7lbs maybe, mine might be heavier than that fully loaded and I never even give it any thought when hunting. It's always in one of my hands and I carry it by the string probably 90% of the time. And in a good elk season I'll cover 200+ miles like that. 7 or 8lb dumb bell would work I guess, if you wanted to carry it around all day.

4ester

WKR
If its traps that are giving you trouble, I personally would do shrugs or a shrug variation. Barbell rows would also help.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Thanks for the input guys yea I'm not worried about they legs they have been good the sledge is a pretty good idea because it would cause you to use stabilizing muscles that's something I never thought of

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
No trainer here, so take my opinion for what it is worth but I do a lot of bow-hiking with the occasional success. I would just focus on core strength. I try to evenly switch hands that I carry my bow but inevitably I tend to favor my right hand. I will notice my back is sore on the opposite side after four or five long days.

JWP58

WKR
Thanks for the input guys yea I'm not worried about they legs they have been good the sledge is a pretty good idea because it would cause you to use stabilizing muscles that's something I never thought of

Exactly. Guns and Bows (especially ones with long target stabilizers or barrel heavy guns) are rarely perfectly balanced. They are usually slightly heavier on one side. Sure a sledge is extreme in balance disparity, but will make your muscles compensate even more.

Just a thought. I don't personally do it, but I think it could be beneficial. In all honesty I don't think anything you can do in the gym can replicate field work perfectly. There will always be soreness and deficiencies, but I think working out will help lessen the effects.