For time
3 round
1 mile on assault bike
30 wall balls

I'll go back and bike more this evening

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
against my better judgement :) I did two sets of 125 meter lunges, unbroken, but still unweighted

hit the gym after work

warmup
3x5 squats, bench, presses
3x11 pullups
3x30 dips
core

Ran two hard 400m. Added a couple agility drills. Trying to build up my running capacity and speed.
Then,
3x6 bench
3x6 incline bench
3x8 dumbbell row
3x8 wide grip pulldowns
2x10 dumbbell chest flys
2x8 bent over flys.

PJG

WKR
2-2-2-2-2-2-2

hang squat snatch

BARBELL ENDURANCE

5 sets of:

2 TnG squat snatch+ohs

3 sets of:

squat snatch+hang squat snatch

then,

EMOM for 18 minutes of:

squat snatch+hang squat snatch

*increase your last 5 sets

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
little taste of my race this weekend

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qo-La-zkPY[/video]

jmez

WKR
For time
25 cal ski erg
25 toes 2 bar
25 GHD sit ups
25 deadlift 205#
50 one arm OH lunges 50# dumbbell (arm has to stay extended with elbow locked overhead)
25 deadlift 205#
25 ghd sit ups
25 toes 2 bar
25 cal row

Got 80 miles in on the bike today

Last edited:
That's a boss ass workout dude.

I did a ~3.5 mile hike with a light pack on my lunch break, then a kb workout tonight while watching preseason.

54lb kb
4 Turkish getups
One arm swings 20-18-16-14-12-10

jmez

WKR
10 min EMOM
2 back squat try to increase every round

For time
100 double unders
25 push ups
80 double unders
20 push ups
60 double unders
15 push ups
40 double unders
10 push ups
20 double unders
5 push ups
( I got this one off of here!)

20 miles on the bike

jmez

WKR
For time

200 double unders
20 KBS to goblet squat 70#
200m run
40 abmat situps
40 back hyperextensions
200m run
20 KBS to goblet squat
200 double unders

At the start of every minute throughout the workout do 2 burpees

KBS to Goblet squat if you haven't done them: Do a Russian swing (stopping at eye level) as soon as you hit eye level flip the kettlebell in the air and catch it handle down going right into a goblet squat. When you come out of the squat extend your arms and flip the kettlebell again catching it by the handle going right back into a swing. If you can't do these then 5 swings followed by 5 goblet squats = 5 reps.

I'll post my bike total tonight

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
light body weight routine this AM- five sets of 40 push-ups, 40 sit-ups and 10 pull-ups- heading for Bozeman in a couple of hours for tomorrows race

PJG

WKR
20 minute EMOM alternating minutes:

2 clean and jerk. (Power or hang) as heavy as possible
Muscle ups, link as many as possible.

Then, teams of 2 alternating work, run together.
100 wall balls - 20
80 ghd
60 walking lunge - 75 lbs
400 run
20 single arm to overhead dumbbell- 80 lbs alternating arms

jmez

WKR
Helen meets Grace
3 rounds
400m run
21 KBS 53#
12 pullups
30 clean and jerk 135#

Done with partner Both run then one work at a time on KBS/Pu
Both do all clean and jerk

Rode bike 21 miles

PJG

WKR
4 rounds of:

30 walking lunges

20 pull ups

20 DB snatch alternating arms 50/35

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well I'm back home licking my wounds!

Borrowing info from a blog on the Bridger Ridge Run I laid out a plan for a sub six hour finish (my finish in 2014 was 6:39, my 2012 finish 7:49) with goal split times for major land marks. The race starts out with a really brutal climb- ascending over 2000' in 2.5 miles, to add a little misery to this , the narrow trail is strewn with rock of varying size, making footing tricky. My goal split for summiting Sacajawea Peak was one hour. I passed quite a few folks on the way up and made it in 50 minutes- 10 minutes to the good. After summiting the peak the route drops off quickly for a really tricky descent through loose talus- I brought a pair of stout gloves (seeing others doing this in past years) to assist the downhill- it really helped.

The route then turns into one of the very few runnable sections, I felt like I was making pretty good time on this stretch. The next split goal was at Ross Pass where the first aid station is (5 miles in)- goal was 2 hours 10 minutes (elapsed) I made it just under two hours- sweet! I went right through the aid station as I had ample water/calories- it was tempting to stop and rest, but pressed on. The climb out of Ross Pass might be the worst climb of the race (of many. many bad climbs!). It's tiptoe steep, grabbing trees/bushes steep, make you cry like a baby steep :) Even making it to the top of the ridge wasn't the relief I was hoping for- really tricky up/down rocky sections- very slow going and labor intensive. After what seemed like forever I could finally hear the yelling coming from the Bridger Bowl aid station- frankly I was in poor condition going into this aid station.

My split goal for this aid station was 3 hours 15 minutes, I had lost the 10-ish minute buffer I had and added an additional 5 minutes- I was still pretty pleased with being so close to the splits. I knew I needed to stop at this aid station and get a little sit down rest. My stomach wasn't great, but managed to eat a little. I filled up my 2 liter bladder which had about .5 liters remaining- so I was drinking pretty good. I had also been taking in small bits of calories and electrolytes on a timely basis. I left after about five minutes, but was hoping I would have felt more relieved/rested, but I wasn't. The next stretch to Saddle Peak has several smaller, but steep climbs. This is where the wheels came off. Whenever I start climbing, I was getting a massive cramp the full length of my inner left quad. There was so severe it involuntarily straightened my entire leg. I've never cramped there before, almost every race I get calf cramps towards the end, but have learned to deal with them. I knew I was in big trouble. I took a handful of electrolytes and really hit the water hard, to no avail. If the route was relatively level or downhill, I was OK- if it was the least bit steep- very painful cramps. I made it to the base of Saddle Peak (12 miles in) and looked up- the trail goes straight up to the peak- not a single switchback. I could see tiny colored dot ascending the steep peak- they looked like ants. It was a very sobering moment.

pl7yRqu.jpg

I knew I had no choice but to turn around and head back the two miles to the Bridger Bowl aid station and call it a day. Of course I'm heading the wrong way on a very narrow travel and lots of folks heading the right direction. Lots of supportive folks on the way back, probably most have been in a similar position. I made it to the aid station and officially dropped. I had to wait until the station was closed with the cut off time- I was in pretty good company with about twenty other folks who had to call it. We had to hike another 3 miles to the crews vehicles where the shuttled us to the finish area.

I can only speculate what went wrong. Too aggressive of a start? I raced the weekend before where typically my races are spaced about a month apart. A combination of both? It could have simply been not my day. Either way I got a solid 17 miles of training in :D

PJG

WKR
It could have simply been not my day. Either way I got a solid 17 miles of training in :D

That's a pretty good day. Some days your the hammer, some days the nail. As long as it's a training day it's a good day.