Any fitness goals for the new year🤙

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since last February I wore a polar watch for all workouts and time in the mountains outside of one hunting day..this year I’m shooting for 400 miles and 150k in elevation🤙 We will see if this 54.5 body can get there🤙 Before it breaks down....my 2017 to compare too.

Attachments

• 0919BC36-01C7-45F4-AEB7-40535CE9AEBF.jpg
    0919BC36-01C7-45F4-AEB7-40535CE9AEBF.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 5E582CBC-5551-4838-A324-8E46B02DE62C.jpg
    5E582CBC-5551-4838-A324-8E46B02DE62C.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 3057C1D1-0F4E-4521-B7FC-F952D8B8736A.jpg
    3057C1D1-0F4E-4521-B7FC-F952D8B8736A.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

sveltri

WKR
Sinister, from Simple and Sinister. 100 1 arm kettlebell swings in 5 min, and 10 TGU’s in min with 48 kg kettlebell.

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Sinister, from Simple and Sinister. 100 1 arm kettlebell swings in 5 min, and 10 TGU’s in min with 48 kg kettlebell.

Have you been doing simple and sinister at all yet? I have been thinking about giving it a try

sveltri

WKR
Yes, I really like the program. Coupled with some backpack cardio it’s a perfect year round training program for me.

tjthebest

FNG
Since last February I wore a polar watch for all workouts and time in the mountains outside of one hunting day..this year I’m shooting for 400 miles and 150k in elevation🤙 We will see if this 54.5 body can get there🤙 Before it breaks down....my 2017 to compare too.

Which watch do you have? how is the battery life?

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the m200 sport for $150. When cold the heart rate monitor will last around 4 hours. It will then shut down and still tracks steps and without the gps all day. So far no problems and worn in all conditions. Many options to review for tracking and will show you on a map your travel route on topo. With the options provided and durability so far been pleased with it. Will say just got a suunto traverse for free so it will be used in the woods likely as looks to have a longer battery life for the heart rate monitor.

A few goals:
Drop from 210 lbs to around 200 lbs from by May.
3 sets of 5 strict pullups by the end of March. Can get one ugly set currently. 3 sets of 10 by the end of the year.
Signed up for my first 5k in May. Goal is 25 min. Looking at some other races later in the summer.
Still working on some hiking mileage goals. My wife and I schedule hikes on weekends 2-3 months out.
Weightlifting goal is just to add weight at least weekly. Haven't done 1 rep max in a long time, should set some goals for that.

Workout plan is basically this, we have a garage gym as that works great for me:
50 pushups, air squats and lunges 1-2 days a week.
Weightlifting 3 days a week. Combination of squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press, and rows.
Hiking/snowshoeing/running/rowing machine 1-2 days a week, plan on increasing the cardio over the next month.

GLB

WKR
For me work more on cardio and hopefully get a handle on my back issues.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Lose weight and get more functionally strong. I’ve started doing some jump rope working out and am going to couple that with body weight exercises for the “plan”. All of that is in the hopes of better time in the hills and avoiding injuries. I’d be pretty happy if I can drop a little over 20 lbs. I haven’t put any timeline on when to be down weight, but this is my first time at really trying to lose weight. Age and sitting at a desk definitely hasn’t helped....

Jeremy

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's in my sig line, 2000 trail miles- I came pretty close in 2017 with 1933; probably a little lofty, but that's what goals are for :D

I never thought a lot about elevation, but all of my running, hiking and snowshoeing/skiing is in the mountains- so a fair bit

jwatts

WKR
I'm shooting for over 1200 miles running this year. I hit 1200 last year, so I gotta beat that. Also I plan to run another marathon, a long trail run (25 or 50k), 2 half marathons, and a Tough Mudder. Otherwise I plan to get back on some sort of weight lifting program and hit 400lb on back squats this year. I hit 365 last year before I quit the weights to train for a marathon.

Plan to drop about 10lbs. Losing weight has always been a hard one for me. Trying to find the balance between cardio/weights and keeping to a calorie deficit. Lift/run too much and I can't control my appetite, lift/run too little and I feel like a lazy sack of crap.

twall13

WKR
Fun to see everyone's goals as everyone is in a different place. Nothing crazy here but my goals are as follows:

Run over 700 Miles- 68 Miles down as of this morning.
Run 5 miles at a 7:45 minute/mile pace. Current best is 7:49 with average around 8:20. Nothing crazy fast but I've improved a lot every year since I started running in 2013.

I'll throw in some specific strength goals as I ramp up training in preparation for hunting season (pullups, pushups, squats, lunges, weighted pack step ups, etc.) but I run year round regardless so that's what my annual goal focus is centered around.

I did just complete a burpee challenge as well. Started January 1 with 5 burpees. Then each day you add 5 to what you had to do the day before through the entire month of January. This morning (last day of the challenge) was 155 burpees. All in that's 2480 burpees in January. I didn't think it would be that hard when I started the challenge but burpees every day without a rest in addition to my normal runs started to wear on me towards the end. It was a fun challenge though and I'm glad I did it.

Kilboars

WKR
My goal is to just hit the gym more consistently. I like to workout Mon - Fri early morning but to many times my pillow get stuck to my neck in the mornings:)

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
75 wide grip pullups without kipping
20 pause reps on bench @225
fully rehab my grade 2 acl tear from last years OR archery elk season

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
check out the several couch to marathon programs- I think most are in the 6 month range, so you have time :)

check out the several couch to marathon programs- I think most are in the 6 month range, so you have time :)

I have found a couple that look good. For now I am going to run 4 times per week with my long runs increasing weekly. Need to figure out the fuel part more than anything. I usually eat between 30-50 grams of carbs per day, which probably won’t be enough to fuel my long runs of 8+ Miles

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
fueling is tricky as it’s very individualized- what works for one doesn’t the other

I started with gels, didn’t work for me at all, then liquid calories (Heed and Perpteum), they worked OK, but longer events I would often suffer nausea; went to small cubes- shot blocks, worked OK but got sick of them, now (last couple of years) I’ve been sticking to a little more natural calories- mostly date based, so far so good

you’ll have to do a lot of experimenting with what, how much and how often :)