Incline treadmill

We have a 15% incline treadmill and I normally max it out for my walks for about 2 miles at a time. This take me around 40 minutes. I was looking to further the incline by adding wood underneath the front of the unit to give more incline. Has anyone tried this and what were the results?

TheCougar

WKR
Never tried that. If I really want to kick my butt, I do three things:
- I turn up the speed to as fast as I can keep up and work on stamina for long periods.
- I do sprints (sprint for .10 miles, recover for .1m, etc). This is like interval training and improves your speed, recovery time... and mental strength.
- If I want to work on mountain climbing, I’ll do 1500’ climb on a bench or box- 18” box=1000 step ups to climb and descend 1500 vertical feet.

All this is with a pack, mind you. Bottom line, you don’t have to crank up the incline to get better training.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
We have a 15% incline treadmill and I normally max it out for my walks for about 2 miles at a time. This take me around 40 minutes. I was looking to further the incline by adding wood underneath the front of the unit to give more incline. Has anyone tried this and what were the results?

Do you walk without holding on to the front or sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep with cougar turn up speed and mix in intervals, no rail holding unless your mountain has assistance to get up the hill👍

OP
P
Never tried the sprints, will give it a go. We have the plyometric boxes that I built. I typically alternate the treadmill without my pack, I was told the additional weight is bad for the motor, and the boxes with my pack on. Thanks guys.

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
As weight to your pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried it. I put blocks under our treadmill. Then it was up too high. My body weight would make it spin so fast you had to hold the hands and run to keep up. And that was with the machine off. Didn't work like I hoped.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
- If I want to work on mountain climbing, I’ll do 1500’ climb on a bench or box- 18” box=1000 step ups to climb and descend 1500 vertical feet.

All this is with a pack, mind you. Bottom line, you don’t have to crank up the incline to get better training.

Stupid question regarding the box. Are you stepping up on side and down the other or up/down the same side? can't seem to grasp the descent part of your statement as far as simulating walking downhill. thanks.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I step up/down the same side of the box. The stepping down would be the downhill simulation, it's the eccentric, or negative portion of the movement. Obviously not identical to climbing/descending a hill, but a good addition to a plan.