51 YO Widow Maker survivor where to start?

I am currently 51 and have been an athlete my whole life. I played both Football and wrestled at the college level which caused a lot of injuries that have caught up with me as I got older. I had 3 knee surgeries, Torn Pec and hundreds of stingers which has caused permanent nerve damage in my left arm and shoulder.

At the age of 38 I took up Brazillian Jiu Jitsu because life had caught up to me and I went form 215 in college to 282 at that time. It got the competitive juices flowing. Six months after taking it up I did my 1st tournament and ended up competing against the at the time defending National Judo champion who finished top 16 at the Olympics the year before. I hadn't wrestled in 20 years and was doing BJJ 2x a week to get in shape. I lost as would be expected but I lost 4-2 in overtime. Fast forward to 2010 and I was completely addicted to BJJ. I was working out 3-5 days a week and 6 months after I won the 2009 Pan Ams over 40 division I had a widow-maker heart attack at age 43. I survived with no damage to my heart because the cardiologist said I was in such good shape.

Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to participate for several years because of blood thinners and other medications that increased soreness but were necessary for my recovery. I tried to go back but medications just kept the soreness level too high to enjoy it anymore so I took up mountain biking. Then Hurricane Sandy hit and flooded out my home while we were rebuilding and lifting the home I unfortunately fell through the steps between out first and second floor due to rusted nails and herniated 6 discs in my neck and Lumbar region. I went to PT for several months but then we had a more pressing medical issue with my 16 year old son that took priority. I tried to start lifting the following spring to get in better shape for the fall archery season but somehow managed to make the injuries to my neck and back worse than ever. I couldn't lift a gallon of mil with my left arm for 2 months. I did 4 months of PT and was given the go ahead to shoot my bow and hunt a week before this past falls season started. During the 2 years since I fell through the steps I went from 250 pounds to 296 last year at my highest. My back and neck have gotten significantly better since then and I have been able to just move more as the fall and now winter has gone on. I am down to 280 pounds since Thanksgiving.

I want to do more than the hiking and and riding on my exercise bike that I have been able to do in the last 2 months or so but am worried I am going to screw up my back and neck again and be right back to where I was . In addition to the exercise bike and walking I have been doing the at home body weight exercise and therapy bands that the PT gave me and when my lower back acts up I have found following along with a yoga video has helped significantly. Unfortunately I just don't think this will get me in the shape that I want to be especially since I want to do a DIY Elk bow-hunt with my son within the next two years as part of my bucket list.

I realize this was long winded but I felt it was necessary to show what I need to overcome and looking forward to any help I can get!

Last edited:

jtw

WKR
Considering your history you should ignore Internet forum advise and see a professional. If you go With a personal trainer make sure they’re qualified to work with someone like you and not just a gym trainer that read some books and took a test.

What area do you live in?

OP
F
Considering your history you should ignore Internet forum advise and see a professional. If you go With a personal trainer make sure they’re qualified to work with someone like you and not just a gym trainer that read some books and took a test.

What area do you live in?

That's pretty much what I thought but I am cheap. LOl

I live in NJ about as much of flatlander as I can get, 2 feet above sea level.

Fitness helps in the mountains but you don't have to be Cam Hanes to kill elk and have a good time. You will be tired and have to stop and rest more but you can do it.

Fitness helps in the mountains but you don't have to be Cam Hanes to kill elk and have a good time. You will be tired and have to stop and rest more but you can do it.
I'm 56 with a similar history, but lighter 235. Former body builder, raced motorcycles etc.

I go annually after elk with a longbow.

Reduce the weight as much as possible, do as much cardio as you can and go! Plan on spending 48 hours before the hunt to acclimatize to altitude.
DIY will be a good time unless you actually kill an elk.
Getting one out without pack animals is a LOT of work.

Good Hunting

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
+1 on Dr. OK of any advice you take. Cost or inconvenience or doctors or selection of workouts are kind of non-starters if you're dead.

From your past wrestling history I assume you're no stranger to weight loss, which is done at the table (or away from it) and not at the gym. Not sure what your current weight goal is, but healthier weight is always where health/fitness should start IMO, including for myself. I spent a lot of last year getting stronger when I should have really focused it on leaning out some, which is what I'm doing right now. I have my own method of eating and fasting that is working for me now, you use whatever you want.

Walking/hiking, the bike when you enjoy it and any kind of cardio you want to do, whatever you like doing and can keep doing. I was on a kick of HIIT workouts last year and got kind of addicted to the suck, then slowly transitioned to just suck, so I switched to something different.

Just some scattered thoughts...

Ironman8

WKR
I would also recommend seeing a PT or a really good trainer from your local gym to help you come up with a routine that you can do within your limitations.

I’m assuming you’re not trying to get back to squatting 500#. And since you mentioned your weight a few times, I would guess weight loss is really your goal...with a secondary goal of gaining enough strength and range of motion to feel healthy again.

So if weight loss is the primary, then first and foremost, you really should take a look at your diet, which is more my realm, so if you want to ask questions or put up some numbers, if you know them, I’d be happy to help.

OP
F
I would also recommend seeing a PT or a really good trainer from your local gym to help you come up with a routine that you can do within your limitations.

I’m assuming you’re not trying to get back to squatting 500#. And since you mentioned your weight a few times, I would guess weight loss is really your goal...with a secondary goal of gaining enough strength and range of motion to feel healthy again.

So if weight loss is the primary, then first and foremost, you really should take a look at your diet, which is more my realm, so if you want to ask questions or put up some numbers, if you know them, I’d be happy to help.

What I would ideally like to do is maintain the muscle I have and drop my body fat to under 15%. I also would like to strengthen my back, neck and core.

I don't need to get back to squatting 500+ like I was able to as a teen. My cardiologist would love to see me be under 200 but even he realizes the amount of muscle I carry naturally and said realistically to the 225 area.

Overall I eat pretty clean just probably more than I should since the injury. Like I said since thanksgiving I was able to drop 16 pounds with just being able to finally not be in constant pain which limited my mobility and a conscious effort to reduce my portions. I have a long way to go and feel I need to do more than the body weight workout the PT gave me back in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Man, that is a rough road you’ve been down. I’m really glad to hear the pain levels are more manageable. I am finally finishing up PT for a knee problem-first I’ve ever had and it’s been frustrating. I’ve gained some weight in the last few years and age is starting to catch up with me. I don’t particularly enjoy working out, but wanted to lose some lbs as well as get some level of muscle work in. During my search, I found jumping rope. I’ve only just started, but I can get a SERIOUS sweat on and oddly enough, I can feel it in my shoulders and arms as well as the work my legs are doing. I was a little surprised at how much variety is possible with ropes and either weights or just body weight exercises can be mixed into the circuit. I talked with my physical therapist before starting and he agreed that it’s a decent compromise for good cardio without the impact of running. Don’t know if that’s something that interests you, but might at least be worth looking into? If so, check out Crossrope. I just went ahead and ordered a basic set from them and am really looking forward to trying with the heavier rope. Whatever you do, I hope it goes well and gets you feeling good.

Jeremy

Ok here is my set up and history:
Wrestling as well, from Kindergaten to HS. Football and baseball track (long distance runner).
Raced Moto X and snow mobiles and messed me up pretty good.
Rupture disks, bulgers, broken vert's, broken feet I, broken knees, torn rotators, concusions, cut off fingers (don't ask), I am a mess.

For me, watch my diet, walk a lot, watch carrying weight, yet I pack in with 50+ lbs, just slower.
I walk a lot, about 3-5 miles a day- I hate running and honestly feel all the miles I logged for wrestling, track and football to cut weight and build cardio- hindered me for later on in life.

I use the months ahead of hunting season to set cameras, scout and what ever else out there, gets me in the woods, prepares me physically.

I watch what I eat, shoot my bow daily. I don't lift a ton of weights cause that hurts my back a lot. In fact I lift only to stay limber and flexible.
I am medicated for back injuries, but still do the western hunt thing. I just do it slower. It takes me twice the time to process an elk VS others cause I cant bend over as long and skin that thing out- lot's more breaks.

Id say all of us wrestlers know how to Not Eat. That's NOT a good thing. We relied on fasting, dehydration, training and cardio to cut weight. It's time you start eating right, and living a healthy life style. You were a heavy weight to begin, so that is not in your favor. I was a 138 and 145 lb class, so I am not naturally that big. But I still gotta watch what comes out of my mouth and goes into it. lol

I am heading to the resort to Ski with my G/daughter tomorrow. I wont be at Olympic levels, and will enjoy a sugary hot chocolate, but I will be out there getting it done- slower, than the teens. Yet way cooler that is for sure.

Any wrestler knows how work thru pain. It's the Baseball and basket ball players that sit on the bench
Just kidding to all you basket ball players.
;)

I wish I made a career out of baseball. I would be totally healthy.

go get r done, starting at the eatin' table. Get a bow flex and worry more about staying limber and flexibile. Fat guys can hunt too.
If there was an army made up of all the fat guys vs one with all the healthy guys, the fatties win by sheer numbers.
Just do it
-paid for by NIKE, inc