Took the plunge finally, 300 style workout

I finally plunged into a routine for this year. I do a lot of walking/hiking to condition before season, but felt it was time for general strength training and to loose some flab, and simply improve my mood, energy and strength.

I started with seeing a nutionist and diet, I cant go Keto due to diabeties (type 1); but have been more paleo and complex carbs and good fats. I am down to 1800-1900 calories daily and using a calorie counter.

My buddy does the 300 style workouts, and talked/shamed me into working out with him. I always thought I was in fair shape, but dang! I am destroyed, just finished a core routine as my legs can not even do another lunge from Sunday, or my arms another pull up from yesterday. He writes up a full body workout daily for me rotating legs, core, upper body, ect. I am really feeling the DOMS right now! It hurts, but I know pain is temporary. I have to shed the weakness

I admit I like the routines, more body weight style workouts and doesn't require a lot of equipment. I got some more dumbells, a 35 lb kettlebell, and pull-up bar for my den. I got out my old badlands pack to load with a kettle bell for hikes until I can get a plate or sandbag for it. It will be my dedicated weight training pack.

This year is the year. Time to shed the Dad bod and get hunting fit. I can't wait till backpacking season starts back up. Being in the woods is by far my favorite workout

I am 43 yrs old, 220 lbs and 6 foot tall. I have already lost 6 lbs just off the diet. I am taking the next two days off for recovery. I need it, Saturday will be a weighted pack hike.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Steadman

WKR
Good on you! Keep it going. It’s easier now but will get harder to stay motivated. Keep at it! You can do it 👊🏻

ahlgringo

WKR
Awesome!!! way to get after it. I have used the 300 workout pretty heavily in the last couple of years as high intensity training. It most def gets the HR jacked. Used it in combo with longer endurance, and heavier power lifts to get me ready for a couple of 24hr adventure races. Worked well.

Keep it up!!! the season is right around the corner!!!

Hall256

WKR
That's great man, especially with the fact that you are mixing in proper nutrition, stick with it...all your body/mind need is 6 weeks of dedication before it becomes habit (not sure where I heard that, so it may be complete BS, but it is what I tell myself...LOL).

If you get bored with that one, another good workout for high intensity is the Spartacus workout.

Shaun

OP
F
An update, I am down 10lbs. My weight loss has slowed, but my mid-section continues to shrink and my muscle definition is increasing. I ordered a book by Pavel Tsatsouline for more kettlebell training, he has some intresting ideas on strength training. His videos are a little different but great instruction.

I have a 20, 35 and just ordered a 53 lb kettlebell. I really like the kettlebells, its amazing the workout you can get with them. I like how compact they are, I figure I will leave the large barbells and equipment at the office gym and keep my home gym simple. Body weight, kettlebells, dumbbells, and a pull up bar at home. A weighted pack, and stairs covers alot for working out on my days off. I now go into work at 4 am to work out before starting my shift at 5 am . Two rest days to let my body re-build before tearing it down again, lol.

Diet is still 1500-1800 calories, with a lot of good protein. I am really getting addicted to this routine, and getting used to being sore all the time . Hard to get going in the morning, but I love it after I do!

Did a full kettlebell set this morning, then switched to core and arm exercises while my heart and breathing recovered. I was doing goblet squats with 36 lbs, no way could I have done that 4 weeks ago! Started incorporating sprints after some workouts to really push myself.

I did house work with a 40 lb pack yesterday. You dont realize how much you squat and bend over until you get that weight on your back. I wear it for about 45 min unloading dishes and cleaning, then I hit the stairs to really work my legs at the end.

I can not wait to see how my prep pays off in the mountains this year!

JA03

FNG
It sounds like you are dialed in. Keep up the hard work and stay disciplined!

OP
F
Thanks, I am amazed how quickly strength improves. I have begun incorporating more cardio, mainly sprints. I would love to find a nice air bike for some tabata training, especially on these rainy days; but use jump rope, walking and sprints for now.

I just installed a cealing mount pullup bar and added some gymnastic rings to it as well. I did some rows, pushups and ab sliders with the rings tonight. Boy those things make the exercises alot harder!

I also built a couple 20x24x30" plyo boxes for stepups and box jumps. The box is actually pretty handy for alot of exercises. I built one for the office gym as well.

I still am learning a lot, but really am enjoying it. I feel so much better overall. Weight loss, diet and exercise...who would have though, lol.

marktole

WKR
Just wanted to chime in and say how awesome I think it is how you’re doing! I am from the middle of no where farming community and most people who are older than 30-40 don’t take care of themselves what so ever as far as physical fitness and nutrition. Don’t workout, don’t do hardly any exercise for that matter, eat s****y bar food all the time, so on and so forth. Getting fat and out of shape is “just what happens when you get older,” a bunch of BS if you ask me. Awesome to see you committ to a diet and exercise plan and stick with it! Furthermore it’s great to hear that you have more energy, feel better, etc from working out! Exercise is a powerful drug.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to Fish N Chips for this thread. I'd never heard of the 300 workout before. I looked it up and have done it twice so far this week. Been using 35 lb dumbbells for the deadlift and doing jump squats until I get a box built. Great workout to shock the system with something new.