Gotta start somewhere.

I am starting to prepare for a DIY backpack hunt when my son graduates college in 3 years. Broke out the 30+ year old EMS external frame pack and a couple dumbbell.

I'll build up the mileage and then the weight. Baby steps after having a widow maker heart attack when I was 43 ( 51 now) and a construction accident last year that had me in PT for 4 months and getting an epidural to endure the pain. Back in August I could barely walk around the block.

Will be upgrading the pack to a Kifaru just have to figure out what's best for me. Been looking at the videos that Aron has posted and think I would be best off with the Reckoning so I can use it hear in NJ with my treestands and the pack bag as opposed to just having backpack straps on the stand and strapping my daypack on the stand.

Open to suggestions?

1e37090789a098b25425cd25c54fe0db.jpg

Last edited:

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Exo Mountain Gear and their podcast (Hunt Backcountry) got a free backcountry training program put together by Atomic Athlete. Since you're coming out of PT from the injury, it may be something to look into that could help supplement the actual hikes you're going on. I believe you can find it on the Exo website.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
F
Did another hike this morning. Changed a couple variables. Wore newer boots, was able to adjust the pack to fit better so it wasn't reducing the range of motion of my legs and then had my phone playing with the ear pods in. Increased the mileage and the speed and feel great with no back pain!

abf38ac5db2b4f1e71c32644deeb5dbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk