Looking for a good 3-4 day per week workout

I'm not willing to pay the $8.99/month on Access Denied, so I'm looking for recommendations on a good workout that is around 60 minutes in duration and anywhere from 3 - 4 days a week. I've got a number of workouts that I've used in the past with good results, but I just want to see what everyone else is using. Not looking for any HIIT or cross fit, just a good strength building program with compound movements and bodyweight exercises. My cardio comes from training hikes and chasing my 3 year old around the house.

If you've got .PDFs with a breakdown by day that would be helpful as well.

Ryan

There is an ap for 5x5 program thats good strength builder think its called stronglifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Starting strength is another good one. It's only three days a week.

Once you stall out on a linear progression program, I would recommend switching over to 5/3/1. There are a number of different templates out there for it, depending on how many days a week you want to be in the gym

OP
ndbwhunter
Thank you for the suggestions. What kind of results did you see with the workouts above? There is a lot of information online about the starting strength routine, but none of them go into great detail. I suppose I'll have to buy the app to get the rest of the information.

AkReaper

FNG
The 5x5 Stronglifts app is really good. Free app and the upgrade is only like $10 to further customize. I like it alot!

Thank you for the suggestions. What kind of results did you see with the workouts above? There is a lot of information online about the starting strength routine, but none of them go into great detail. I suppose I'll have to buy the app to get the rest of the information.

You will get strong and gain muscle quickly with starting strength. It's strictly strength training though, and even if you are eating and recovering right you won't have much left in the tank for conditioning. It's not my preferred program for mountain hunting, but you mentioned that you aren't looking for cardio.

If I where in your shoes: Do something like starting strength or stronglifts for winter and spring. These programs are linear progressions and you will make big gains very quickly. Then in the summer switch over to 5/3/1 which allows more volume for conditioning, hiking etc to get better prepared for hunting season.

Sorry, you were also looking into specific information on the programs. Both Starting Strength and Stronglifts have you in the gym three days a week. Both programs have you squatting all three days and alternating between press and bench every other workout. Starting Strength has you alternating between deadlift and power cleans every other workout, whereas Stronglifts alternates between deadlift and barbell rows. Starting strength has you doing working sets of 3x5 and Stronglifts is 5x5. They are very similar programs.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done the 5x5 and 3x5 programs, both are good, both concentrate on big compound movements. I preferred the 3x5 for myself, wasn't as taxing as 5 sets.

I'm doing Wendler 5-3-1 now and like it better than both the above. Again big compound lifts, but starts light with a steady progression. There is also a "deload" week (week 4's) that I think is beneficial. And while you do do 5/3/1, that's only week 3's, week one is 3x5, week two 3x3. Each last set has a + next to it, so that last set if it's week 1 it's actually 5/5/5+, so the last set (which is also the heaviest set) you do as many reps as possible.

He's also very encouraging in doing additional exercises- lunges, dips, pullups, etc with the other lifts, but the primary lifts are primary.

Very good program imo.

I've done the 5x5 and 3x5 programs, both are good, both concentrate on big compound movements. I preferred the 3x5 for myself, wasn't as taxing as 5 sets.

I'm doing Wendler 5-3-1 now and like it better than both the above. Again big compound lifts, but starts light with a steady progression. There is also a "deload" week (week 4's) that I think is beneficial. And while you do do 5/3/1, that's only week 3's, week one is 3x5, week two 3x3. Each last set has a + next to it, so that last set if it's week 1 it's actually 5/5/5+, so the last set (which is also the heaviest set) you do as many reps as possible.

He's also very encouraging in doing additional exercises- lunges, dips, pullups, etc with the other lifts, but the primary lifts are primary.

Very good program imo.

+1 on doing the accessory lifts. I have found that if you don't do them the wheels start to fall off the program pretty quickly.

LitenFast

WKR
I did stronglifts 5x5 last winter and the winter before to build strength for 2-3 months each winter. For me it was a great way to do something simple to get back into a training routine after hunting season. It definitely builds strength, but gets boring about that 2-3 month mark when you really start to stall on progress and get sick of doing 5 very heavy sets.

I did like his app as it was very simple and i like looking back on the progress.

This year I am 3 weeks into starting strength and liking it more. 3x5 is less boring and I would imagine will be able to sustain progress longer. Also a great app for logging workouts.

Another great workout I transitioned to last spring is this one from Alan thrall at untamed strength and his YouTube channel
2e4ba6cef3fe0d380eb923fd67b27221.jpg

I liked the mix of explosive, main and accessory lifts and the super sets for a little conditioning.

My general schedule to lead up to hunts is begin with strength for a base while slowly transitioning to conditioning as season closes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ndbwhunter
Thank you for all of the information! I've been out of the gym for almost two years, so I'm really just looking for something to get me back to where I was before I transition into the maintenance programs. I'll download the starting strength app and give it a shot.

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all of the information! I've been out of the gym for almost two years, so I'm really just looking for something to get me back to where I was before I transition into the maintenance programs. I'll download the starting strength app and give it a shot.

If someone tries to sell you on a workout regime without asking you what your goals are, and requiring those goals to be very specific, you should keep looking.

So.... what are your goals?