When to peak??

Me: 31 years old. 160pounds.

Eat very well, stretch 30 minutes daily.

This is a one hit wonder kind of a trip.. ten days in the alpine.

I'm 2 months out. Twice a week, Biking 20 miles a week in hills pulling 80 pounds in the trailer..

4 days a week hiking the local mountain. 1 mile walk in the flats then 1000 feet of elevation gained and then 1000ft lost.. with 45 pounds on back. (That's my normal pack weight for 10 day hunts). Try to do that morning and evening.

One off day (sundays) and 4 days a week surfing.

When should I really start ramping up??

And when should I go full on maximum before the trip??

I'm battling Achilles tendinitis symptoms so not much running, and lately been changing out hikes for 1 hour bike rides.

I was a college athlete and approach my hunting training the same as I did for athletics. I would say continually build until you are a week out, then purely just do active stretching and warm up routines throughout that week and let your body recover without tightening up. I would also recommend adding rowing to your routine as it is a great cardio workout with minimal impact since you are dealing with tendonitis issues.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hunters worst enemy injuries and age....😁I as well will train right up to season but reduce max duration and weight with shorter intense workouts with the thought of maintaining but limiting possibly for injury. If already nursing an injury would reduce something to help recover. Rowing or biking would help keep fitness allowing the tendinitis to recover. Good luck👍