Shin Splints...

AK_hunter

FNG
I recently got over a case of stress fracture (could have been shin splints) in both my legs. What finally made them go away for me was taking 6-8 weeks off running, adding aftermarket insoles in my Asolo Fugitives and other boots, and no longer running in my worn out (almost flat) inov8's which are about 6 or 7 years old. I realized that whenever I ran in my Asolo's, even for a hundred meters or so, the pain would come back. My boots are about 5 years old so the stock insoles where completely shot. I feel like i'll get another few years of use out of them with the new insoles now.

Proper fitting shoes it totally key. Getting insoles that match your gait really help too. I tend to not realize how worn out shoes are getting because although the may look clean on the outside, the soles may be worn out and not providing proper support. I’ve learned this lesson the hard way...a couple of times lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
I get bad shin splints when I run on pavement or any other hard surface so I avoid running now. I fought it in high school during football and wrestling and have no desire to deal with them again. I normally walk a 2 mile loop with a 60lb sand bag around the house that has 1 short steep hill and when I get to the hill I go up and down at lest 5 times but try and do more depending on how my legs feel. Even with that loop I do not get any discomfort in my shins. I noticed the loop helps a lot when it comes to the weekend and I can actually get time on a trail and adjust the pack weight accordingly depending on Mille and elevation gain. I am hoping to get up to 2 60lb sand bags before the season on my loop.

I used to struggle with them a lot. Not walking or hiking but running. I changed my running style from being a heel toe guy to more of a mid foot striker. Let the foot take some of the stress versus the shock going up the heel. No problems since at all.

Lots of good stretches out there to help minimize them as well.

Stretching and good (newish--less than 6 months old) shoes, as well as trying to run and work out on grass, did the trick for me when I ran track in college.

NYSKIER

WKR
My sister ran for CSU in college and had wicked shin splints. Their PT had a great exercise to help those specific muscle areas (I'll try to explain this clearly):

Sit in a chair on a slick floor like tile/wood/laminate.

On the floor in front of you, spread out a towel.

Add a small weight to the far end of the towel.

Set your feet on top of the close end of the towel.

Alternate curling your toes to pull the weighted end of the towel towards you.

This will activate and strengthen the muscles affected by shin splints without causing any further damage from running impacts.

Warning, it will set your shins ON FIRE after a few reps. Especially if they're already inflamed from running.

Also, the stretching exercise that Jordan Budd mentioned above is excellent.

Good info I'm going to keep this in my back pocket