Shin Splints...

Luked

WKR
so last night I started to do some walking with the pack.
I just got my pack about a month ago and have been wanting to try it out but the weather here has been cold, yesterday I finally got a decent day with nice weather and not much to do after work so decided to load the pack up with 20 lb and go for a mile walk in town. I did right at a mile on the pavement and didn't have a lot of uphill but this morning I have one leg that has some pretty good shin splint pain.
I assume this is just due to not being used to the walking that distance with weight. is this something you guy have noticed also when starting out? do I need to let it sit for a few days? I had planned to do a mile each night till I was used to it then start building up from there with distance and weight in the pack

Cam_Shrum

FNG
What type of shoes were you wearing and how old are they?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steadman

WKR
I would let it heal. Do some stretches as well each day to help. You can search for them. I would try to get off the pavement and sidewalks. If you can walk on dirt or grass that will help substantially. Hope this helps

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stretch your calf muscles out as much as you can. Then get the the push-up position and put the top of your toes on the floor so your stretching the muscles around your shin. I get them really bad and have to use a roller for my calves and my shins. Wearing high compression socks should also help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Pain is your friend (sorta). In my line of work with trainers, I’ve learned to not ignore it and treat it ASAP. Good advice above, and yes give it some rest and when you go back to the stimulus that caused the pain, change something like surface or shoes and cut your distance by half. Once you can do it without causing pain, you can slowly start building up. Often times these issue shows up when we go to much too fast, but it doesn’t mean we can’t work up to even a very high-level of stimulus. Just be smart. And I would not try to mask that pain with drugs. You need to know what’s going on. Let us know how everything goes for you.

young7.3

WKR
I have recently starting running a mile to two miles every other day and get shin splints as well. I think it's just due to not having those muscles used to that specific activity. Try stretching and starting at a lower weight/distance as suggested.

Ive heard shin splints are caused by an insufficiency of vitamin d. Sunlight and a natural source would be a start.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Thanks for all the replies.
as to answer some of the questions. this was walking on pavement, and I was wearing my Asolo hiking boots. I don't know if they are wore out but I have had them for about 3 years and I wear them almost every day. have plans in the next week to order a new pair of boots.

ill try also and do some stretches and cut down on some weight and distance and work up to it.

I do also try and take vitamins every day also

I've had some nasty shin splints over the last few years while getting in shape for fire season. My buddy who I went to see for shin splints put me in green superfeet insoles. Stretching calves 5 times a day upper and lower calf muscles. Squat and lean forward a little bit. Hold on to a table. Also, I do 3 sets of 15 single calf raises per day and it helps.

Happy calves happy legs. Massaging the inflamed area with a golf ball or racket ball is a good idea to get blood flowing. Also, tape the affected area of the shins.

If you still have a persistent shin problem, don't be afraid to get professional help. It was worth it for me.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
My sister ran for CSU in college and had wicked shin splints. Their PT had a great exercise to help those specific muscle areas (I'll try to explain this clearly):

Sit in a chair on a slick floor like tile/wood/laminate.

On the floor in front of you, spread out a towel.

Add a small weight to the far end of the towel.

Set your feet on top of the close end of the towel.

Alternate curling your toes to pull the weighted end of the towel towards you.

This will activate and strengthen the muscles affected by shin splints without causing any further damage from running impacts.

Warning, it will set your shins ON FIRE after a few reps. Especially if they're already inflamed from running.

Also, the stretching exercise that Jordan Budd mentioned above is excellent.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
99% of the time shin splints come on because of a too aggressive approach to the workout. It's very common in new runners. Also in situations like you describe. It's caused from stress to the shinbone and overuse/repetitive use of the connective tissues that attach muscles to the bone. As stated above don't use drugs to mask the pain. It can escalate quickly into stress fractures which will sideline you for much longer. Ice and stretch, then work back into the workout slower once the original pain is gone.

Jon Boy

WKR
That's what I do anyways. They tend to go away as I progress.

I hate to say it but I agree. From what Ive found/researched it takes a ton of miles to actually injure yourself from shin splits. Total discomfort but rarely an injury. But up hill weighted pack hikes always seem to stretch my calves out and relieve a lot of the shin split pain, and theyre way more fun than a run.

AK_hunter

FNG
I hate to say it but I agree. From what Ive found/researched it takes a ton of miles to actually injure yourself from shin splits. Total discomfort but rarely an injury. But up hill weighted pack hikes always seem to stretch my calves out and relieve a lot of the shin split pain, and theyre way more fun than a run.

I tend to agree as well. In college I ran a lot and had shin splints so bad I had calcium growths on my shins where the bone built up strength from the stresses of the muscle pulling on it. It was super painful, but never debilitating. From what I understand, stress fractures have similar symptoms and causes, but I don’t think shin splits will necessarily led to them. Proper shoe fit helps, as well as all the stretches previously mentioned.

I’ve been living with shin splints for years. I’ve never been to the doctor about it, but it doesn’t seem to bother anything. I’ve tried resting until they go away, but they come back as soon as I start running again. I remember learning to run on my toes, because they would get so bad from running on concrete in wrestling shoes in high school. Now I think I’m just used to the feeling.

PMcGee

WKR
I usually get some minor shin splints when I start running after some time off. I just run through them as well. They go away after a few runs. By the time I start hiking with the pack I don't have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rob86jeep

WKR
Thanks for all the replies.
as to answer some of the questions. this was walking on pavement, and I was wearing my Asolo hiking boots. I don't know if they are wore out but I have had them for about 3 years and I wear them almost every day. have plans in the next week to order a new pair of boots.

ill try also and do some stretches and cut down on some weight and distance and work up to it.

I do also try and take vitamins every day also

I recently got over a case of stress fracture (could have been shin splints) in both my legs. What finally made them go away for me was taking 6-8 weeks off running, adding aftermarket insoles in my Asolo Fugitives and other boots, and no longer running in my worn out (almost flat) inov8's which are about 6 or 7 years old. I realized that whenever I ran in my Asolo's, even for a hundred meters or so, the pain would come back. My boots are about 5 years old so the stock insoles where completely shot. I feel like i'll get another few years of use out of them with the new insoles now.