How is the training going?

OP
M
I average 20 miles a week running, do metcon 4 or 5 days a week, and do work with a weighted pack on the weekends whenever I have a chance. I turned 40 on Sunday and figured it was time to up my game. My goal is to run 300 miles in the first 30 days of my 40’s while continuing the rest of my workouts. I can’t believe how much harder it is to do 10 miles a day compared to my usual 4. 3 days into it, I’m sore as hell and having problems with hydration.

Up your salt intake alittle, should help retain some water for the harder workouts. I had to the same thing as I started to train more.

Wild Bob

FNG
West of Rough Rider Country, east of the Divide
"Up your salt intake alittle, should help retain some water for the harder workouts. I had to the same thing as I started to train more."

- This is a great point, it's so easy to follow the conventional train of thought that when you are getting in shape or training that salt is your nemesis!

My training thus far, especially considering the weather/snow, has been going very well. I'm averaging 30 miles/week on the trails with one longer outing in the 12-16 mile range on the weekend- mostly on snowshoes. I'm about three months in on Wendler's 5/3/1 strength program and have made solid gains in squats/bench/deadlifts/overhead press; I'm getting close to probably having to switch out to something else.

My biggie is in May- the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open; this year has the potential to be the toughest yet- long route (130-ish miles) and a ton of snow, we'll see :)

Mtwarden, I'm curious what you are doing for your accessory work for 5/3/1, and how you balance everything with your high running volume. I typically do short crossfit-style metcons with movements that mirror the main 5/3/1 lift of the day, as opposed to doing more traditional 5x10 accessory lifts. This can wipe me out though, and I wouldn't have enough left in the tank to run those kind of distance miles without overtraining.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mtwarden, I'm curious what you are doing for your accessory work for 5/3/1, and how you balance everything with your high running volume. I typically do short crossfit-style metcons with movements that mirror the main 5/3/1 lift of the day, as opposed to doing more traditional 5x10 accessory lifts. This can wipe me out though, and I wouldn't have enough left in the tank to run those kind of distance miles without overtraining.

first I’m combining squats and bench and deads and overhead press- so just lifting twice a week, realistically that’s as much as I can squeeze in with the running

on squats/bench I add 3 sets of pull-ups, 3 sets of dips and a thorough core workout; deads/press I add 3 sets of chin-ups, 3 sets of weighted lunges and hit the core good

I just started adding a “first set last” to the four lifts- roughly 70% of 1RM for 10 reps

I’ll probably change things up in a month or so, there are several different crossfit workouts that I like doing

Gotcha. Sounds like you are doing a good job not killing your legs on your lifting sessions. I like the looks of first set last after reading up on it. I may need to alter my 5/3/1 to look more like yours so I can have more in the tank for rucking and trail running.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it’s tough to strike the perfect balance between aerobic and strength training, but feel like I’m getting closer- running hasn’t suffered at all and I’m making solid gains in the strength arena

I enjoyed both the 5x5 and 3x5 programs, but feel the 5/3/1 has been more effective, for me anyways

OP
M
Well, had my first set back of the get in shape mission. Apparently if you do to many sit ups in a short period of time, you can hurt your tail bone. Now, I'm walking around like I had a stick shoved up my ASS!!! :(

SWOHTR

WKR
Hit a 6:50 mile on Tuesday, which is a big win for me - haven't done that in three years. Well on the track to a sub 10:30 mile and a half, possibly lower.

Strength is going alright.

5/3/1 for the win!

OP
M
Update of my progress. Getting way more fit! For the first time in a long time I feel comfortable with myself, which makes me really happy. Started a couple weeks of testing at the gym, getting baselines for lifts and progress. Starting weight for me was 260, stepped on the scale yesterday and was pleasantly shocked to see 207.5. 7.5lb from my goal! But i am at a point now where i could care less if i hit that goal weight of 200... cause if I'm faster, stronger and more confident in myself... who cares about that number.