How is the training going?

Hello everyone,

How is everyone's training going this year? Hearing from others always fuels my fire. For me, this year is my year to get into shape. I hit a point where i felt unhealthy, and that's not good. I want to be around for my kids in the future, and also get my fat ass up that hill! So I made a decision to change my lifestyle, and adopt a healthier way of life.

Starting point for me was 260lb's. Goal weight is 200. I have been meticulously monitoring my food intake (myfitnesspal app), along with killing it at the gym. I haven't done anything drastic or dangerous to myself, because it kind of defeats the purpose of what i'm trying to achieve. Now I also know that the weight is just a number, being fit and healthy doesn't necessarily mean being low on the weight scale. But, for me now its a challenge to hit that number and continue getting stronger. January of this year I was 252lb's, that's when i cranked up the program. I hit 220lb's yesterday! Still have along ways to go, but feeling pretty good about the future.

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
thats great to hear. i'm having really good results with the "lose it" app.

I slacked off pretty heavily with my training as I was developing some recurring knee pain. The last two months or so I've really stepped back up though. I'm trying to hit the gym in the morning instead of evenings now to improve my sleep and performance at work. Changing my diet a little and being more diligent with joint supplements has gotten rid of the knee pain. Hopefully the weather continues to improve and I'm able to convince myself to do more outdoor cardio with the dog. In the meantime, I've rewarded myself with getting back under some heavy deadlifts and squats (not necessarily the best for the mountains but they make me feel good!). Ideally, I'll put 5-10lb back on before it's go-time.

I have been steady, going on walks in the mountains 2-3x week looking for elk and anything else. I swim once a week and do some body weight stuff 2-3x a week. The summer is when I get most of my “training” in, so I don’t get too crazy in my off season. It’s more of a maintenance plan.

OP
M
I have been steady, going on walks in the mountains 2-3x week looking for elk and anything else. I swim once a week and do some body weight stuff 2-3x a week. The summer is when I get most of my “training” in, so I don’t get too crazy in my off season. It’s more of a maintenance plan.

when it comes around to elk time, i will be ready. I have till september in northern bc... so i have time. But sheep, mid august! I will be ready!!!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Jan 1st I was 6'3" 251. This weekend I weighed in at 215. Cut out sugar, way back on carbs, been hitting the spin bike hard 4 days a week. Still pretty crappy weather here so mountain hikes are out of the picture at the moment. I'm already at elk season weight and it's March. I'm aiming for 200 and being a killing machine come this fall. Spring turkey, bear, and bikepacking will all help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Building back up to it as I developed some plantar fasciitis and that shit has been a bitch to heal up while staying active. Especially when i just try to push through stuff thinking it will just go away but it got worse until i HAD to dial it back to let it heal up. But its only mildly irritating at times now so Im getting back to baseline. Great job getting down to 220 man, hope you hit your goal. Remember, you train hard now and it equates to easy hunting come fall.

Even though I'm 20 lbs heavier now than last hunting season (215 now), I feel good hiking and energy wise. Still in the game with my running (12:30 1.5 mi), and can jog all day long if I wanted. Hiking endurance wise, I need to do more hill intervals, but overall this last week I accumulated 40 hiking miles which felt great. I usually peak in Early August due to my profession. Tend to wind things down in September.

This next month I plan on trimming some stuff out of the diet, and starting two-a days with 60 minutes of cardiovascular everyday and strength training. Hopefully I will.be around 200 at the end of April.

Currently doing the normal body weight strength training workouts. I don't believe in gyms.

Golfing helps with some strength trainining including core and lower back and will be hitting the course hard once it opens. Good way to build in some cardio too.

Last edited:
OP
M
Awesome work, do you any of you guys fear that you’ll overtrain and peak before the season?

For me I would be more concerned if i was just training. Being that i believe the majority of my loss has come from proper eating habits i will be fine for hunting season. As for peaking, I wont peak on training for at least a year... just the way my training is headed and the coaches im working with. It will be a slow grind from now on, but with due diligence the best yet to come

OP
M
Building back up to it as I developed some plantar fasciitis and that shit has been a bitch to heal up while staying active. Especially when i just try to push through stuff thinking it will just go away but it got worse until i HAD to dial it back to let it heal up. But its only mildly irritating at times now so Im getting back to baseline. Great job getting down to 220 man, hope you hit your goal. Remember, you train hard now and it equates to easy hunting come fall.

Thanks man, I will hit my goal! I feel lucky that i haven't been seriously injured or had thing plague me. I could only imagine it make getting in to hunt shape that much harder.

Awesome work, do you any of you guys fear that you’ll overtrain and peak before the season?

I think we can hit goals all year round. I just finished wrestling season, which motivated me to be in top shape, so I could wrestle with the boys I coach. Next I’m thinking about spring hiking trips. Then I’ll ramp it up for hunting. For me, I just always need a goal to be working towards and a reason to stay on it, but I definitely think we can peak multiple times a year even at 40 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My training thus far, especially considering the weather/snow, has been going very well. I'm averaging 30 miles/week on the trails with one longer outing in the 12-16 mile range on the weekend- mostly on snowshoes. I'm about three months in on Wendler's 5/3/1 strength program and have made solid gains in squats/bench/deadlifts/overhead press; I'm getting close to probably having to switch out to something else.

My biggie is in May- the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open; this year has the potential to be the toughest yet- long route (130-ish miles) and a ton of snow, we'll see :)

bozeman

WKR
Mine was going great until I strained a tendon in my left ankle/foot.....has slowed me down the past 2.5 weeks. Nurse said 1.5 more weeks...we will see. Best of luck to all of you!

Wild Bob

FNG
West of Rough Rider Country, east of the Divide
My training was going super well until pulling my trap a couple weeks ago...but fortunately, I'm on the mend now.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I sure am glad to see the first signs of spring here in Northern MT! I've really enjoyed being able to get out and take some great walks over the last week. It's nice to be mixing things up again rather than just being limited to the workout room / stationary bike and elliptical.

Keep pushing on!

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
I’m having a tough go this year. Last year I was 255 and made it to hunting season at 200. Slacked off over the holidays and went up to 220. Started the new year good but have a hard time staying consistent with my workouts so I’m hovering between 210-15. Going to take the rest of this week off to rest then really step it up again. Good luck everyone!!

Wild Bob

FNG
West of Rough Rider Country, east of the Divide
I’m having a tough go this year. Last year I was 255 and made it to hunting season at 200. Slacked off over the holidays and went up to 220. Started the new year good but have a hard time staying consistent with my workouts so I’m hovering between 210-15. Going to take the rest of this week off to rest then really step it up again. Good luck everyone!!

I can associate with your story - I was in great shape (for me) going into the 2017 season. But as soon as December hit, it was like I turned a switch off and totally slacked unit the first week of January...but then I was able to step it up from then on.

Good luck to you and don't give up. Even imperfect action is better than no action.

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
I can associate with your story - I was in great shape (for me) going into the 2017 season. But as soon as December hit, it was like I turned a switch off and totally slacked unit the first week of January...but then I was able to step it up from then on.

Good luck to you and don't give up. Even imperfect action is better than no action.

Thanks man. Even being in a slump now at 215 it feels a lot better than the alternative of 255, lol. Time to get back to work!

I average 20 miles a week running, do metcon 4 or 5 days a week, and do work with a weighted pack on the weekends whenever I have a chance. I turned 40 on Sunday and figured it was time to up my game. My goal is to run 300 miles in the first 30 days of my 40’s while continuing the rest of my workouts. I can’t believe how much harder it is to do 10 miles a day compared to my usual 4. 3 days into it, I’m sore as hell and having problems with hydration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk