Heart rate monitors help

ncstewart

WKR
Is there a decent heart rate monitor for under $50 or am I better off just dropping the money on an expensive one? Thanks for help as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cam_Shrum

FNG
At that price, as long as it has the chest strap, you are in business. If it's one of the low cost ones that only monitor your hr at the wrist, it's not worth it. I think you can even get a chest strap that syncs to your phone now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
For those that use them. Do you think they help in training or a waste of money?

Cam_Shrum

FNG
For those that use them. Do you think they help in training or a waste of money?

Depends on the person. I would say that if you are really into gear, you will probably stick with it and it will keep you honest. If you aren't really a gear person or a competitive type of person, it's probably not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Totally help. Gives me minimums to meet, and helps push myself. I use a My Zone. Not under $50 though.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
I think they are a great help to let you learn how your body is reacting to your exercise. Its interesting to me how some days I feel like I'm going hard, but my HRM tells me "no, not really there puss.." and other days I can push myself much harder without knowing it until my HRM shows me.
It helps you moderate on recovery days, or times when you want to stay in a certain HR zone.
Its a tool, and like any tool, it's only worth it's weight if you use it!

I have found that if you search on the auction sites and on line, you can get the older Garmin packages (small watch and HR chest strap) for $40-60 (usually factory refurbished). That's where I got my first one and it is still running great years later.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Totally help. Gives me minimums to meet, and helps push myself. I use a My Zone. Not under $50 though.

Love my MyZone. Especially at gyms that have the system so I can see my heart rate without having to look at my phone. Helps me get in the zone I want to be in and keeps me motivated. I can look at almost every workout I've had over the last 2 years (except when I forget it).

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Love my MyZone. Especially at gyms that have the system so I can see my heart rate without having to look at my phone. Helps me get in the zone I want to be in and keeps me motivated. I can look at almost every workout I've had over the last 2 years (except when I forget it).

cb2aa72c1d36b54e2d1f81a77ccccc38.jpg

Yesterday’s workout intervals and Tabata on rowing machine.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
cb2aa72c1d36b54e2d1f81a77ccccc38.jpg

Yesterday’s workout intervals and Tabata on rowing machine.

Kickass! And yes nothing makes me madder than forgetting MyZone when I’m doing a frat workout. I got 400meps on the shed hunt Tuesday and I felt it!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A great tool to add and a motivator as noted helps to see just how hard you are working or not 👍any activity I have my polar on to gauge and track don’t need to drop much to get something that will last and assist in progess

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
eb06b091d9636207a04bee9a5dabe082.jpg

Something like this then would be fine?

Grumman

WKR
I had one of those H7 Polar models and I really liked it. Just don’t lose the strap like I did:)

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I use an HR Monitor for Cycling. When I was racing for about 10 years, it worked great for the easy/recovery days. Kept me from going to hard. What I had to fight with was the mental aspect of seeing me hit my threshold and then needing more to stay with the group or on the front. Some times when going hard in a race situation its better to not know what your heart is doing by looking at your monitor.

If you stay on a program of hard days and recovery days. Or doing intervals an HR is a great tool. Currently I am using a Garmin Computer that does all my mileage, HR, cadence, ext. I think its the 500. The nice thing about the Garmin units is you can hook up with Strava and compare your times and it will save for reference.

Get and HR that will meet your needs and then some. You will find you are using it more then you think you will.