Mountain Bike Training Thread

Have you ridden them much? My current bike is a 29er and I don't like it at all. If I could afford it I would get rid of it and go back to a 26. I hate the way the bike handles. The worse the trail, the more I dislike it. Feels like you need a parking lot to turn it around. You can't really throw it around and make quick moves when riding.

That's why I am still on my 26. Tough start to your riding season up there. Cold in OK but at least no snow....

Brendan

WKR
So, a couple things I've learned lately.

Characteristics of the bike aren't all about wheel size. Take 29'er for example. There are some that are great climbers, feel light and "poppy", almost more of a XC Bike, but get overpowered in descents or in really chunky stuff. Then there are others that excel on fast, rough downhills, but are heavier, planted, and crappy climbers. Then there are those that aim to split the difference. It's more about the geometry, what the bike is designed for, how the suspension is set up, what you're running for tires, etc.

Next thing, ask 100 people about mountain bikes, and you're going to get 100 different answers. I swear it's worse than "What's the best rifle cartridge?": "Don't buy Carbon, buy Aluminum." "Aluminum is a horrible choice, make sure you get Carbon." "Buy a 29'er whatever you do". "Get a Fat Bike." "Get a 27.5 Hard Tail" "27.5 with full suspension all the way..." It's pretty comical trying to research and ask opinions.

For me - I'm trying some bikes, and talking to people that ride the trails that I'd ride around home. No hard packed single track, less climbing, but lots of rocky, chunky, rooted up trails in the woods. Definitely not looking at a "Downhill" bike. Nor a lightweight cross country bike. Will either be a 29'er or a 27.5 trail / all mountain / jack of all trades bike that can take big tires if needed - have some friends having real issues getting good selection looking for 26" wheels / tires nowadays because the market's moved away from them some.

So, a couple things I've learned lately.

Characteristics of the bike aren't all about wheel size. Take 29'er for example. There are some that are great climbers, feel light and "poppy", almost more of a XC Bike, but get overpowered in descents or in really chunky stuff. Then there are others that excel on fast, rough downhills, but are heavier, planted, and crappy climbers. Then there are those that aim to split the difference. It's more about the geometry, what the bike is designed for, how the suspension is set up, what you're running for tires, etc.

Next thing, ask 100 people about mountain bikes, and you're going to get 100 different answers. I swear it's worse than "What's the best rifle cartridge?": "Don't buy Carbon, buy Aluminum." "Aluminum is a horrible choice, make sure you get Carbon." "Buy a 29'er whatever you do". "Get a Fat Bike." "Get a 27.5 Hard Tail" "27.5 with full suspension all the way..." It's pretty comical trying to research and ask opinions.

For me - I'm trying some bikes, and talking to people that ride the trails that I'd ride around home. No hard packed single track, less climbing, but lots of rocky, chunky, rooted up trails in the woods. Definitely not looking at a "Downhill" bike. Nor a lightweight cross country bike. Will either be a 29'er or a 27.5 trail / all mountain / jack of all trades bike that can take big tires if needed - have some friends having real issues getting good selection looking for 26" wheels / tires nowadays because the market's moved away from them some.

I went from a 26in Specialized FS to a 29er HT Canfield Yelly Screamy, and now I ride an Ibis Mojo3 which is a 27in but runs 2.8inch rubber. There were pros and cons to each bike but for the type of trails I ride which are very chunky, rocky, and rooty I really like that "semi-fat" 2.6-3.0 tire size. They are perfect for my local trails. Now I took that same bike over to some Idaho trails last year which compared to my local trails are buffed smooth and really thought that the fatter tires were holding me back, just felt slow. So yeah I think its all about what you are going to be riding "most of the time". I still kept my 29er HT and I use that as my hunting bike because there is just less that can go wrong on it. Good luck, glad to see guys on here riding.

OP
A
I eyefrigged a Diamondback Atroz at the bike shop today getting a new tube. The dealer said its a big seller bc it comes with a decent component set and a good fork for about a grand. Also has the 1x front gear, which i think i would like a lot better. Need to wear this POS out first to convince the wife.

Lawnboi

WKR
IMO a 100-120mm travel full suspension 29er is pretty hard to beat for all around riding.

I miss mine, moved all my components to a 29er hardtail frame when my shock died, and I didn't want to put anymore money into the beat up old frame.

Your still using tubes? Tubeless is the only way to go now a days with all the tires made for it.

1x really simplifies things. Make sure whatever you get has a decent fork. All those cheap coil forks don't hold up to real trails. Disc brakes are really nice to have too.

Clipless pedals are another component that changed my riding significantly.

OP
A
My bike is old and it uses tubes. I’m not putting and money into it, so how it rides is how it will continue to ride. The tires should last a while.

OP
A
7.5 miles today. Probably 2 miles of that on a greenway as a warmup/cooldown. Tried to push the intensity up and go longer/harder. I can already tell a positive difference in my riding.

Floorguy

WKR
I throw my 2 cents in. Go fat. Winter riding you are covered in summer you can go everywhere as well. It is a little more effort but its exercise right? With a fat bike you can get different wheel sets. I have a 26 inch full fat wheel set that has studded 4.8 inch tires on it. For the summer I have a 27.5+ wheel set.

The full fat has gone everywhere I have wanted including from stop sign to stop sign on the Denali highway.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Floorguy

WKR
The only thing I would need in North Carolina...is a airplane ticket home.

I didn't know it was a need based thread.
Didn't you write this:
"Any other bikers want a dedicated thread to this most excellent lung buster?"

A fat bike inflated properly will go over roots and rocks without issue or need for suspension as well as float over softer ground that would bog a 29er down.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
A
Calm down guy. I was under the impression that fatbikes were more suited to mud/snow. I’m sure you have more of both up there.

Floorguy

WKR
I should have added smileys...:D

I'm calm, I was just trying to add a suggestion for a bike in a bike thread and you pointed out there wasn't a need. Its a common misconception that they should only be used in those conditions, they are also optimal for riding on sand if you go to a beach and want to ride. Mine I take everywhere including bombing through singletrack. I got a smaller wheelset for summer (27.5+) just to make it a little easier to get around, pushing that rotational mass is a good lung burner but for bikepacking on remote dirt roads burns the lungs enough. If I am going to go off trail the full fats go back on.

I figure a fat bike and a cyclocross bike will cover 99% of the riding out there that most people will ever do.

OP
A
Well I can’t afford shit right now so I guess I’ll keep on throwing around this Gary Fisher until it breaks.

A quick 3 miles on my local trail today. Need to go back with a machete and lopping shears. It’s kind of growing over.

BCSteel

FNG
Now that winter is over up here I've been getting out on my bike again. I usually ride to run errands and get groceries for as long as I can each year. Bikepacking is really starting to take off for me and I use it to scout new hunting areas in the off seasons. A buddy and I are heading out next week for 4 days of bear hunting with bikes in tow so hopefully there will be some action pics in the not too distant future.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Finally got the old Heckler out on actual trails after all the upgrades. Even managed to take my 15 year old son out for the first time who rode my old Haro hardtail. Had to do some major surgery on it on Sat as the shifters and cables were discovered to be shot. Took the XT 9speeds that I just took off the Santa Cruz and replaced the ancient no name shimanos that were on it. Much better. Then we discovered the RD was shot too, but no time to fix. I have the almost new xt RD to put on it too. Need to pick up a new chain today.

Anyway, long story short, got a good 8 miles in on a flat tight twisty fast course. Legs aren't as sore as i thought they would be. Minimal climbing and lots of rest breaks for this old man(only 50..maybe not old but surely fat) but it felt great to get on the singletrack again. Trail was in great shape, if only I was.

Attachments

• 20180429_183940.jpg
    20180429_183940.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20180429_175552.jpg
    20180429_175552.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 45
OP
A
Got 2 miles in on a hard ass technical track yesterday before a briar took out the rear tire. Had to tote it back to the bike shop. Today tried a new track that was a hybrid hike/bike trail. 5.5 miles later I was pretty gassed. It was steep with a lot of long hard climbs. The downhills were fun though.

OP
A
Quick 2 mike loop at my local. Turned up the heat since I knew it would be short.

What’s a decent amount of miles to strive for in a week? Seems like most of the stuff around here is 2-5 miles so you would need to lap it to get any considerable amount in.

Lawnboi

WKR
its hard to measure in miles due to difficulty variation in many trails. 6-8 hours of biking a week is what Iv always shot for.

Trails are opening up around me finally, but going backpacking for a few days, so it will be mid May before I get the bike out.