Mountain Bike Training Thread

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Really liking the frame, best yet it was cheap on sale, and built up with take off parts. Works very well for techy singletrack here.

Finally was able to put in some more miles. Did a 7 mile local loop of single track, it will be a while before I'm back in shape for biking. Bike handled great, my lungs and legs, not so much.

I always wanted to put together a yelli screamy but they are sold out on my size now. Really thinking about adding a stache or roscoe for the summer.

Poser

WKR
I have a Salsa Timberjack hardtail with 27.5 wheels and a Salsa Mukluk fatbike for winter riding.

I’m currently doing some upgrades to my Timberjack with some lower gearing for getting up these steep ass mountains and a dropper post for getting back down then without going over the bars.

My present gearing is a 1x11 drivetrain with the lowest gear being a 42t cog. This plate size cog will take me down to 49 teeth for a true granny gear experience

87b71bb875d5b4601960c6cd9192fe6d.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
Now that I'm riding more again, I'm getting upgradeitis. Iv decided a new bike is not in the cards, I'm going to ride a hardtail till Atleast 2020. Although I do miss rear suspension, dependent on the trail, I miss it a lot.

But a dropper post should help, I miss not having one. Maybe some wheels, and an 11 speed drivetrain.

OP
A
I understand totally what you mean but there isn’t much I could do to improve the bike I have without spending a lot.

What’s a suggestion for pre ride snacks if I’m in between meal time. I’ve been eating Clif bars and they are fine but if there is something better that I don’t know about, then I would be game to try.

Lawnboi

WKR
I just try to do a light meal of whatever carbs agree with me prior to riding.

I find after about an hour I need to start thinking about fuel while riding if I'm going to continue. I often use hammer gel or clif shot bloks for longer rides. 2-3 hours in length. Longer than that and I'm bringing bars as well.

OP
A
I beat a PR on my local 5 mile loop by about 2 minutes today. Felt pretty strOng but I’m still wAaayyyy down on the Strava leaderboard.

OP
A
Did an 8 mile loop at a really fun trail today for the first time and I topped the leaderboard at 187/220 for the year. I’m real fast.

Poser

WKR
c2ed3ac709d09ac7353e3c85b688d890.jpg

Up to 12k and back on Saturday on a rugged Alpine trail. -have a few puncture wounds and a bruised ankle bone. Two big fronts pushed through for some hard rain and high winds resulting in nearly frozen fingers. Two flat tires and a trip over the handle bars on the way back down. Then we discover that a rancher had brought in a herd of cattle while we were up high and the cows had completely wrecked the the last 3 miles of trail: post holed it into a muddy wreck and crapped all over the place. Literally covered the trail in fresh, runny shit so we ended up covered head to toe in cow shit. Good times 🤨

OP
A
Rode a badass network of trails in Wilkesboro NC. Personal best 16 or so miles in the heat. Garmin says I burned 1700 calories during the 2.5 hrs. I know that sounds high but even with some slight variance in accuracy I feel like I’m puttin in some serious cardio work.

OP
A
Upgraditis has won. Got a decent deal on a Fox TALAS 32 RLC to replace this POS Rs DART 1. 2 pound weight savings. i know im polishing a turd, but this should really improve the bike handling, and im basically stuck with this bike for a while. Honestly, if this bike had disc brakes and a dropper post i wouldnt really want much else.

Poser

WKR
Upgraditis has won. Got a decent deal on a Fox TALAS 32 RLC to replace this POS Rs DART 1. 2 pound weight savings. i know im polishing a turd, but this should really improve the bike handling, and im basically stuck with this bike for a while. Honestly, if this bike had disc brakes and a dropper post i wouldnt really want much else.

Life without disc brakes would be tough. I only recently got a dropper post, but there’s no going back from that option either. I am shocked by the amount of bikes over $2,000 that don’t come from the factory with dropper posts.

OP
A
So I did good???

I did add some cartridge kookstop brake pads and that’s helped some, but not fantastic for my fatass. I’m getting there though.

Lawnboi

WKR
Best not demo a new bike, mtn bike tech has come a long way! At the rate your going I'm sure you will ride that bike into the ground eventually.

I got in another 8 miles of single track. Finally getting back at it now that the wedding is over.

I really want a dropper but I should wait.

I did finall get order a bike rack thanks to LEO adventures deal with Yakima. No more stuffing 2 bikes in the back of my fj cruiser, can't wait to get it.

OP
A
Neighbor up the road gave me a nice hitch mount rack when they were cleaning out a barn....after I got my Yakima roof rack.

OP
A
While on my buying spree, I went ahead and got a set of long bars and a short stem so I can fit in with the hardcores a little better. Got a set of Answer 720mm carbons and a Race Face 50mm stem. Replacing a ~600mm Bontrager Crowbar and 90mm Bontrager Sport stem. Should be a decent weight savings as well as better leverage and steering. We will see. My hands go numb a lot on really bumpy or busy trails, I’ve tried a few grips so far and haven’t really settled on any but apparently Carbon bars take out a lot of vibe.