Any runners with seasonal allergies?

Slim Jim

WKR
Just looking to see if anyone with seasonal allergies has any good remedies. I won’t take any medicine and I’ve tried the local honey thing. Right now in Las Vegas pollen counts are way up. Inflammation along with shortness of breath when running is pissing me off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bat-cave

WKR
I run a bit. mostly when the WOD at my gym makes me. I also suffer from seasonal allergies and have been doing immunotherapy for ~2.5 years and it has greatly reduced the affect of pollens, grasses etc ... Something worth looking into for the long run (IMHO). Flonase Sensimist seems to help lots of folks and might be worth trying.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I run a bit. mostly when the WOD at my gym makes me. I also suffer from seasonal allergies and have been doing immunotherapy for ~2.5 years and it has greatly reduced the affect of pollens, grasses etc ... Something worth looking into for the long run (IMHO). Flonase Sensimist seems to help lots of folks and might be worth trying.

Immunotherapy is something I’ll look into. The dry desert air and pollen mixed make for horrible allergies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasonal allergies, in a LOT of people, can be linked to issues in the gut. I've found that the probiotics I take, and another item I take for intestinal health, have completely eliminated my seasonal allergies.

eamyrick

WKR
Runner for 20 years. Marathons etc. I moved to Central Texas 15 years ago for work and have been suffering ever since. I’ve tried everything. Everything also has some type of negative side effect which seem to be more noticeable as I get older. Read up on antihistamines. I’ve been on drops for two years which has shown a 20-30% reduction in daily symptoms but still suffer if I run at the wrong time. My body just can’t take 6-7 miles of high heart rate sucking in the pollen. The last time I thought I was gonna need to go to the hospital. Face completely swollen up, difficult to breath. I have since transitioned to rower workouts indoors and haven’t ran outside in 3-4 months. Daily symptoms compared to running everyday are way down.

I use a purely herbal tea my wife gives me. I drink 1 cup a day and it "builds up" in your system so you won't die if you forget to take a day or two. This stuff works as good as any pill, not synthetic, and its got health benefits. My wife buys the ingredients individually(or collects at some of our clean local sources) and blends them

Nettle leaf
Goldenrod
Hibiscus

Nettle has a lot of health benefits but its primary function is Antihistamine. Goldenrod basically dries up a your nose so your not blowing your nose or getting post nasal drip

It can be bought here

Its definitely not gimmicky

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing I have tried seems to help much, I take nasocort and it seems to be ok, anything else I’ve tried doesn't work or makes me groggy. Local honey didn’t help, yeaterday ran through some cottonwood looked like it was snowing lol I knew I’d pay for it later and felt like crap last night.

amassi

WKR
Nothing I have tried seems to help much, I take nasocort and it seems to be ok, anything else I’ve tried doesn't work or makes me groggy. Local honey didn’t help, yeaterday ran through some cottonwood looked like it was snowing lol I knew I’d pay for it later and felt like crap last night.
Did the nasocort dry out your sinus?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Run very early in the morning before the pollen counts spike. Well before sunrise if possible. Avoid going outdoors on windy days, in particular, in Las Vegas.

Nasal steroid shouldn't dry out your sinus. They coat the nasal turbinates. They don't technically get into your sinus. If they do > minimal.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Run very early in the morning before the pollen counts spike. Well before sunrise if possible. Avoid going outdoors on windy days, in particular, in Las Vegas.
This is good advice! during the week I run at 5am but on the weekend I run with my wife later in the day and that is when I have it the worst!

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a beekeeper with lots of honey that I consume daily, and I still take Zyrtec and Flonase (the Costco knockoffs)😃.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes I have a great remedy, however you already ruled it out.

Allegra or Zyrtec or Claritin (second generation antihistamines) work well for me. My personal preference is Allegra. I would try all three if one does not work well for you after taking it for a few days. Start with trying the name brand, if one works, then switch to the genetics. Theoretically generic and name brand are the same, but for some people only the name brand gets results. They generally do not make people drowsy, even at much hire doses than OTC, but it is not an impossibility. If they do, try taking them at night as it is a 24 hour med and by morning you might get the benefits without the side effects.

Stay away from anything with first generation antihistamines like benadryl, they give no better results and have a lot more side effects.

Edit: seasonal allergies cause nasal congestion, shortness of breath is more likely asthma. You should see a healthcare provider for PFT and bronchial provocation testing.

Last edited: