Firest Crossfit class yesterday

Luked

WKR
being 40 and overweight and out of shape and just got tired of it. So yesterday went to my first Crossfit class. I had done the Gym thing a few years ago and it just wasn't for me.
So joined the local Crossfit gym and did my first class last night. was a lot of fun Coach was really easy to work with and completed my first Wod. wasn't as intense as the others in the class but being my first one I was glad it wasn't.
heading back this Wed for my second class.
ready to start getting back into shape and feeling better.

marktole

WKR
Great job on taking the first step, don't look back and keep making it to the gym! I think you will find as you come to meet the people in your gym and get to know them that going is easier when you have friends to workout with and hold you accountable.

I too have recently started cross fit, 3 months in. Take it slow, and work on technique. You dont want to get hurt before you get going. Muscles build fast, but tendons take a little time to adjust. I have found that some of the coaches may be a little more "hard core" than others and push hard. Scale the work outs, don't get hurt. I am really lucky that i have a good group of people that i work with that focus on doing it right! This is my 2 cents of course. Oh, and the pain never goes away FYI:)

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
Crossfit isn't for everyone, but for those who enjoy it, it is awesome. I started into it a few years ago and really love it. It is a great way to get in incredible shape.. As mentioned, be careful not to go too big too soon with pressure to rx. Sometimes rx is a great way to get injured. I had to learn to workout at a level that got me the results I wanted, which sometimes was well below rx for the WOD. Hope you love it.

D_Eightch

WKR
Awesome! Enjoy the journey, it's lead me down a whole different path and mindset than I ever thought I would end up at.

Wild Bob

FNG
West of Rough Rider Country, east of the Divide
Great job! I'm supportive of anyone working to get into shape, regardless of how they choose to do it.

I guess I would be considered as more of a 'traditional program' guy as I predominantly weight train but also mix in cardio in the forms of biking, walking, rucking and hiking.

But based on some of the comments above - you guys that go the crossfit route; educate me. What is it about this type of training that you like so much and why?

Great job! I'm supportive of anyone working to get into shape, regardless of how they choose to do it.

I guess I would be considered as more of a 'traditional program' guy as I predominantly weight train but also mix in cardio in the forms of biking, walking, rucking and hiking.

But based on some of the comments above - you guys that go the crossfit route; educate me. What is it about this type of training that you like so much and why?

Ive found that the training doesn’t get boring. Its not the same thing day in and day out. I wake up look at the workout and am surprised daily on what we are going to do. My recovery , on the Mt has been much better , I do add a day or two of running per week just because i enjoy it and it helps to have that extra at altitude.

What really keeps me going consistently is the community at the place i go is unreal. We all push and motivate each other no matter if your a drop in , a beast veteran or a beginner just learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Cant hit em. My wife and I have been at Crossfit for 6 years and I honestly thought we would have moved on to something different within a year.

1) Community is the best part - You are all doing somewhat of the same workout

2) Lifting weights is so important

3) Olympic lifting and the gymnastic movements are a form of mastery similar to archery or shooting. You never quite do it perfect, but the pursuit of perfect form is part of the drive.

PM me with any needed motivation or questions.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good job and keep at it👍 The key is finding something you enjoy and can be diligent about to fit into your life. Avoid injury and look forward to the results reaping benefits during hunting season👊

jmez

WKR

Several things that I like about the training:

Variety: we do everything from 3 minute workouts to hour long grinders, it is never the same. There is no monotony.

Time: everything is usually done in an hour. It is very structured, warmup, skill/strength, then WOD. The warmup itself is generally a workout in itself. I have a limited amount of time to work out so this makes it easy.

Intensity: the workouts are as hard or as easy as you make them, you decide how much you will get out of it. If done properly, you will have never felt as spent after 15 minutes of work.

Community- you always have a group of like minded people to work out with. It gets pretty old going to the gym day after day by yourself and working out by yourself.

Schedule: depending on the size of the gym there should be multiple classes throughout the day along with open gym times. You shouldn't have any trouble getting your workout in during the day.

Overall Fitness: the workouts combine weight training and cardio. You get it all done at once. Increase strength and stamina all at the same time without overdoing it on either side.

Scaling: anyone can do the workouts. They have a scaling system to meet your needs and goals. Can't do something, not comfortable doing something, they will give you an exercise you can complete. Options for anyone at any level.

High Intensity: the workouts are designed to do a lot of work in a short amount of time at maximal effort. They are very taxing if done correctly. A lot of people can't handle this level of training. I like it because it is basically the same stuff we used to do in wrestling for conditioning, someone was just smart enough to give it a catchy name and patent the system.

Accountability: you have coaches and peers working out with you every day that will push you. You can do Crossfit on your own, it isn't anything ground breaking. It would take a whole lot of self discipline to push yourself to your limits every day on your own.

TripleJ

WKR
Good for you LukeD. I'm also over 40, and have been doing Crossfit for over 6 years. Make sure you start out slow and don't overdo it at first. Let your body get conditioned to the movements over time. The guys above have hit the nail on the head as far as why I still do it. The intensity you can pack into a 1 hour class is hard to match. You never get bored, there's very few repeat workouts unless you're looking at a cycle of years. You get a full body workout and hit on so many disciplines per week...weights, cardio, Olympic lifting, gymnastic movements, you name it. Working out in a class setting makes it so much better too. You get pushed beyond what you would be normally able to do in a solo, home-gym type set up. Through scaling, there is always room for improvement, no matter what level you are at. I have worked out in one way or another most of my life. The fact that I am still setting PR's in my mid 40's speaks to the strength, shape, and conditioning that you can gain from Crossfit workouts.

Deertick

FNG
Started at 50 ... wife and I go 3-4x per week. Are there better ways to train? Sure -- but CrossFit will get you into the top 5% for your age group easily. The rest is "fine tuning". I never thought I'd like group workouts, but it's been a blast. Working out with the "kids" (in their 20s and 30s) is challenging. I'll be as ready for elk as ever this year.