GPS watches

Good day all,

Over the last year I am down about 115 lbs and now run several times per week in addition to other cardio and time at the gym lifting weights. I want to invest in a watch that can track my runs, act as an all day activity tracker, has wrist based HR. I want it to have the ability for me to run against a previous run as a host runner.

I would like it to be able to track hikes from a distance perspective and elevation gain and loss would be cool, it not required. I have no need for a full function smartwatch

I thought I had landed on the Garmin Forerunner 235 then I saw I can get the 735xt for only $50 more. I dont swim or bike, but I understand the 735 has some better hardware and is a little lighter.

Anyone own both and can share if it's worth the extra 50 for the 735 over the 235?

My limit is 300

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
Brother in law picked up the 935 and his opinion was that for just running, he wishes he would have gone the 235. If you do more than just run/walk, the other models might work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Polar makes some good units I have the sport...$150 has gps and monitor that will run for about fours then only steps. Nice feature is when gps on there is free map system on the included software to show your course for the time the gps was on. Been running this unit hard for the last 15 months in all conditions with no issues to date.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
I actually got a Garmin Fenix3 Sapphire off eBay, new in box from a certified retailer for $289. It does everything you need, if you want a HR monitor for your workout the additional HR band is about $15.
(I would not suggest the one with the built in HR monitor if you want accurate HR readings as pretty much ALL of the wrist based HR monitors have problems with accuracy, a HR belt is THE way to go.)
It also syncs with your phone and the app keeps track of tons of metrics.
I think if you shop around and at patient, you can get a Fenix3 well within your $300 budget.

robie

WKR
Garmin Fenix 3 HR will do everything you want is a great daily watch as well.

They go on sale several times a month for 299 or amazon keeps selling refurbished models for 230ish, comes with full warranty.

The watch is great for tracking workouts/runs and also for tracking daily steps.

OP
silverbullet555
I ended up buying a Garmin Fenix 5x for a couple reasons.

First, I am going to get an inreach mini and the fenix watches will communicate with the mini.

Then I had to decide on 5 or 5x. Since the price was the same I decided to go all the way for the 5x.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

OP
silverbullet555
Fenix 5x is going back. I like it but the size makes the heart rate inconsistent when running. It also doesn't fit under shirt sleeves. I'm using a forerunner 235 right now and will try a 5s.

2ski

WKR
I like my 735xt

If you're concerned with accurate heart rate get the external heart rate monitor. It syncs to the watch. At least it will with my watch. You can swim with the 735 too. It's a triathalon watch.
Fenix 5x is going back. I like it but the size makes the heart rate inconsistent when running. It also doesn't fit under shirt sleeves. I'm using a forerunner 235 right now and will try a 5s.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
silverbullet555
I like my 735xt

If you're concerned with accurate heart rate get the external heart rate monitor. It syncs to the watch. At least it will with my watch. You can swim with the 735 too. It's a triathalon watch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It's more than that. The size made it too much for wearing with a suit. Maybe if I was a bigger guy. If it was just the hrm I would add a strap.

The 5s is a good size. But, the resolution is less and I can get the 5 cheaper. So, I'm going to try the 5 for a few weeks and see what happens. Eventually I'll find the right balance.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Got the 5x and its everything I could ever want. Yes expensive but man its a fun watch. Customizable and you can download alot of different apps to it so if your missing something on the stock build OS you can add to it.

OP
silverbullet555
Got the 5x and its everything I could ever want. Yes expensive but man its a fun watch. Customizable and you can download alot of different apps to it so if your missing something on the stock build OS you can add to it.
Don't get me wrong. I like the 5x. It is a lot of fun to wear. As much as I liked it, the size was too much for my current situation. In the field I already carry my phone, a handheld GPS and soon to be inreach mini so the GPS is non essential. The memory can't be converted to music memory so it just passed that point for me.

But, it's a fun watch. As a kid I loved watches, but as an adult haven't worn a daily watch for 25 years except for brief stints. We've come a long way since casio gshock watches.

OP
silverbullet555
Fenix 5 are on sale at cabelas for 365ish. After gift cards and active junky they are 270. Plus tax.

Last edited: