MRI complete, Stenosis is the diagnosis. Is backpack hunting over?

Not posting this, because I'm crying in my cereal. That said, I'm hoping there's a few hunters on this forum that are still hitting the mountains in spite of severe back pain.

I've lived a very physical life. My service in the Marine Corps and Navy took a toll on my my body (especially the lower back). As I've transitioned into civilian life, I have remained physically active. I'm in the gym almost every morning, I'm hiking w/pack 6 - 10 miles in the mountains around my home every weekend. About 3 years ago I noticed pain in my lower back.

As time has gone on the pain has gotten worse. I was finally convinced to go the the spine doctor. The MRI shows I have severe spinal stenosis in the lower back. This is devastating to me, because I've always been an active person. The potential of losing my ability to meet physical challenges, i.e. hitting the gym, or tackling the mountains scares the hell out of me.

Has anyone on here struggled with the same/similar circumstances? If so, how have you been able to adapt your lifestyle so that you can still be a backpack hunter? Thanks in advance.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
Spinal decompression therapy with a traction table is what ended up helping me. My lower vertebrae were compressed and the aggravation got to a point that I just couldn't sit down at all. I went to the doctor and they suggested I see a chiropractor. This therapy wasn't covered with my health insurance and I payed all out of pocket at the time. 5 years later I wish I would have done it sooner. I can backpack hunt and hike without any issues, I make sure every morning to get up and stretch my lower back out, sort of like getting that 1st cup of coffee in you.

OP
bguitierez
I'm going to the spine doc next week for nerve conduction test then treatment plan. I'll definitely ask about chiropractic sessions. Do you do any weight lifting? The funny thing for me is during my hikes (even with a heavy pack) my back feels fine. But, when I stop I have to stretch immediately. I'm running a Kifaru pack, so the frame is like wearing a weight lifting belt. I'm pretty nervous about the Doc telling me heavy load days are done.
Spinal decompression therapy with a traction table is what ended up helping me. My lower vertebrae were compressed and the aggravation got to a point that I just couldn't sit down at all. I went to the doctor and they suggested I see a chiropractor. This therapy wasn't covered with my health insurance and I payed all out of pocket at the time. 5 years later I wish I would have done it sooner. I can backpack hunt and hike without any issues, I make sure every morning to get up and stretch my lower back out, sort of like getting that 1st cup of coffee in you.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to the spine doc next week for nerve conduction test then treatment plan. I'll definitely ask about chiropractic sessions. Do you do any weight lifting? The funny thing for me is during my hikes (even with a heavy pack) my back feels fine. But, when I stop I have to stretch immediately. I'm running a Kifaru pack, so the frame is like wearing a weight lifting belt. I'm pretty nervous about the Doc telling me heavy load days are done.

I do kettlebells twice a week full body workout both days. I lift twice a week hike twice a week and ride my bike once a week.

OP
bguitierez
I do kettlebells twice a week full body workout both days. I lift twice a week hike twice a week and ride my bike once a week.
That sounds like a pretty sound plan. I'm thinking I'll need to consider something very similar. Thankfully I'm in pretty good shape (besides the back issue) so adapting to a new routine will not be as tough as it would if I were overweight and used to being sedentary. Thank you for your input man!

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
That sounds like a pretty sound plan. I'm thinking I'll need to consider something very similar. Thankfully I'm in pretty good shape (besides the back issue) so adapting to a new routine will not be as tough as it would if I were overweight and used to being sedentary. Thank you for your input man!

I went as far starting with five pound kettlebells starting out and worked on form and core strength. I did this for almost three months. I'll throw in some yoga every once in awhile just to keep myself limber and get a good stretch, it really helps the lower back.

Be aware that some MDs believe chiropractic is on par with homeopathic treatments and is right up there with voodoo, so you might get pushback.
Also, not all chiropractors are created equally, and you might have to try a couple find a good one.
I'm not familiar with stenosis...Would deep tissue massage help? Chiro plus massage does more good for me than anything, but my problems are minor compared to what I think you're going through. Good luck.

Okay guys, I read this and cringe because stenosis is no big deal. We ALL suffer from spinal stenosis starting at the age of 17, in which we all start getting shorter after our long bones stop growing. So understand that this is a normal process of aging. Some people just have more stenosis than others. The biggest problem from this is neural foraminal narrowing, leading to referred symptomology such as numbness and tingling. For the Lumbar region, this will mean mechanical pain in the area and tingling/numbness to the lower extremities.

The problem with stenosis caused from disc desiccation is the nerves get impinged. So really the best way to get this resolved is decompression surgery with fusion. The good news is that these surgeries to the Lumbar region are usually very successful and can remove pressure on your root nerves. And the only negative is you lose only minimal loss of range of motion.

Meanwhile, chiropractic care is essential to assist with the realignment of the spine. You also should look into proper foot wear, ensure that you are getting rid of any pronation issues, which can lead to sciatica. The key to everything is proper alignment to your structure and the muscles to keep that structure in place. It is when people decondition and the spine gets out of alignment is when you see people having issues.

You are lucky it is not your cervical region that is experiencing problems.

I have stenosis in 6 spots. 4 herniated discs. 5 degenerating vertebrae. I lift 3 days a week. I do yoga 3 days a week and hike about 50 miles a week.
It will stop you if you let it.

OP
bguitierez
I went as far starting with five pound kettlebells starting out and worked on form and core strength. I did this for almost three months. I'll throw in some yoga every once in awhile just to keep myself limber and get a good stretch, it really helps the lower back.
Dude I've thought of Yoga but d ont want to get shown up by the soccer moms! lmfao

OP
bguitierez
Be aware that some MDs believe chiropractic is on par with homeopathic treatments and is right up there with voodoo, so you might get pushback.
Also, not all chiropractors are created equally, and you might have to try a couple find a good one.
I'm not familiar with stenosis...Would deep tissue massage help? Chiro plus massage does more good for me than anything, but my problems are minor compared to what I think you're going through. Good luck.
Thank you for the well wishes brother. Yeah my issues are pretty extensive. I guess when U was a young fire pissed in heavy weapons company I never considered the price is pay later in life, but it's here.

Basically, I find out the treatment plan this week. I'm actually gonna take my pack to the Dr office to show her the constructions and describe what I'll be doing with it....hoping she signs off on me packing still. I think training days w/70-80 lbs are done, but I should still get away with 25-35lbs for training. I've never been concerned with the light weight approach, but now I might have too (guess I got to switch Kifaru to Kuiu hahaha) my injuries are extensive and stenosis cannot be cured. so This is what I'll deal with. that said I can't imagine my life without getting out there. at this point is all I can do is road hunt and do short treks with a day pack then so be it. I'd rather do that then just sit at home and get fat.

I'm certainly gonna consider the massages. if something can help I'm gonna try it.

OP
bguitierez
Okay guys, I read this and cringe because stenosis is no big deal. We ALL suffer from spinal stenosis starting at the age of 17, in which we all start getting shorter after our long bones stop growing. So understand that this is a normal process of aging. Some people just have more stenosis than others. The biggest problem from this is neural foraminal narrowing, leading to referred symptomology such as numbness and tingling. For the Lumbar region, this will mean mechanical pain in the area and tingling/numbness to the lower extremities.

The problem with stenosis caused from disc desiccation is the nerves get impinged. So really the best way to get this resolved is decompression surgery with fusion. The good news is that these surgeries to the Lumbar region are usually very successful and can remove pressure on your root nerves. And the only negative is you lose only minimal loss of range of motion.

Meanwhile, chiropractic care is essential to assist with the realignment of the spine. You also should look into proper foot wear, ensure that you are getting rid of any pronation issues, which can lead to sciatica. The key to everything is proper alignment to your structure and the muscles to keep that structure in place. It is when people decondition and the spine gets out of alignment is when you see people having issues.

You are lucky it is not your cervical region that is experiencing problems.
Man I hope what you're saying pans out for me. I go this week for nerve conduction and then results/treatment plan. Honestly, when ingot the MRI report my first thought was my life is changed forever.

Your optimism is very appreciated. Man I hope what you're saying turns out for me. Thanks for providing a little hope my man.

OP
bguitierez
I have stenosis in 6 spots. 4 herniated discs. 5 degenerating vertebrae. I lift 3 days a week. I do yoga 3 days a week and hike about 50 miles a week.
It will stop you if you let it.
Dam brother! You didn't let it stop you....I can't let it stop me. I think most Roksliders would agree...the pursuit of animals (and all things involved in that process) is what we live for. if I have to do it with pain everyday then so be it.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
Dude I've thought of Yoga but d ont want to get shown up by the soccer moms! lmfao

Down dog app is what I use. It's some of the best stretching I've had. I do it at the house as I don't want to embarrass anybody.

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider
I coach high school football and am a weight lifter myself. I've had my knees scoped, dealt with low back problems and the effects of time on an ex-athletes body. I've listened to this clip hundreds of times when I want to whine about being tired, or hurting before a lift or run. Mental toughness and will power trump all!

A little motivation for you.

Goalcast - "I'm gonna do that until they throw dirt on top...

Remember what you are.....remember who the **** you are!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was in a car wreck in 1987 when an 85 year old woman blacked out and hit me head on. I was young and walked away from it perfectly fine.......or so I thought. I had herniated a disc in my neck so badly that it created a syrinx (cyst) inside my spinal cord from C5/6 down to T2. I always had issues and did bouts of physical therapy for years to help with the pain and muscle spasms. It wasn't until 2006 that a doctor finally ordered an MRI which is when they figured out what was wrong. By then I had two herniated discs with one of them compressing the cord about 50%. I've just moved on with life and haven't really let it slow me down, but it really is a royal pain literally.

Then two years ago after packing out an elk and carrying the head, cape, and rack out on my shoulders......my right hand went numb and I had severe pain in my forearm, shoulder, back, and neck. I lost any and all strength in my right arm and couldn't even lift a 10lb dumb bell over my head after doing 40lb'ers in the pre-season. I couldn't even begin to start the motion to draw my bow (right arm is my bow arm)......the motor nerves just weren't firing. Now I have three herniated discs and the neurosurgeon wants to do a 4-level fusion. Well, after my own workout routine for a couple months the numbness mostly went away, and the strength mostly returned.

So now I'm back to where I was before that elk season and just keep taking it day by day. But I'm 53 and eventually will get to a point where it might be best to get the surgery while I'm younger rather than older. Until then, I just keep pressing on and pushing through the pain and spasms etc. Surprisingly, shooting my bows actually seems to help with it all.

OP
bguitierez
Freaking awesome bro!!!
I coach high school football and am a weight lifter myself. I've had my knees scoped, dealt with low back problems and the effects of time on an ex-athletes body. I've listened to this clip hundreds of times when I want to whine about being tired, or hurting before a lift or run. Mental toughness and will power trump all!

A little motivation for you.

Goalcast - "I'm gonna do that until they throw dirt on top...

Remember what you are.....remember who the **** you are!

OP
bguitierez
Wow man. Sounds like lots of struggle. The things we go through for the passions we have. I'm all over the place with my mindset right now. go to the doctor again tomorrow for a prognosis. I'm only 37. I got to figure this out. but I can say not doing anything as far as workouts for the last week and a half seems to make things worse. Best of luck to you brother, you're definitely a tough SOB
I was in a car wreck in 1987 when an 85 year old woman blacked out and hit me head on. I was young and walked away from it perfectly fine.......or so I thought. I had herniated a disc in my neck so badly that it created a syrinx (cyst) inside my spinal cord from C5/6 down to T2. I always had issues and did bouts of physical therapy for years to help with the pain and muscle spasms. It wasn't until 2006 that a doctor finally ordered an MRI which is when they figured out what was wrong. By then I had two herniated discs with one of them compressing the cord about 50%. I've just moved on with life and haven't really let it slow me down, but it really is a royal pain literally.

Then two years ago after packing out an elk and carrying the head, cape, and rack out on my shoulders......my right hand went numb and I had severe pain in my forearm, shoulder, back, and neck. I lost any and all strength in my right arm and couldn't even lift a 10lb dumb bell over my head after doing 40lb'ers in the pre-season. I couldn't even begin to start the motion to draw my bow (right arm is my bow arm)......the motor nerves just weren't firing. Now I have three herniated discs and the neurosurgeon wants to do a 4-level fusion. Well, after my own workout routine for a couple months the numbness mostly went away, and the strength mostly returned.

So now I'm back to where I was before that elk season and just keep taking it day by day. But I'm 53 and eventually will get to a point where it might be best to get the surgery while I'm younger rather than older. Until then, I just keep pressing on and pushing through the pain and spasms etc. Surprisingly, shooting my bows actually seems to help with it all.

Dam brother! You didn't let it stop you....I can't let it stop me. I think most Roksliders would agree...the pursuit of animals (and all things involved in that process) is what we live for. if I have to do it with pain everyday then so be it.

Not working out WILL make it worse. A strong pelvic girdle and a strong back is vital in the prevention of the pain (in my case). I started weightlifting against Drs orders. I hiked against his orders. 3 months later I needed no shots, meds, decompression....NOTHING. I've been 18 months without shots. I do yoga, weights, hiking, skiing and MUCH more because I refused to be the victim to my circumstance.
Your mileage may vary.