MRI complete, Stenosis is the diagnosis. Is backpack hunting over?

DavePwns

WKR
There is a theory that the stronger your core stabilizers (erector spinae, transverse abdominals, and obliques) the less load your discs have to bear since they provide more support, think of these muscles as your chassis, this doesn't mean do a million crunches, more like a variety of planks with PERFECT form keeping your core tight and strong and as soon as you loose an inch of your technique you stop, wait and do it again. I also recommend deadlifting with very light weight, with PERFECT form, going slow and aiming for 20 - 30 reps. This too will significantly improve core strength without overloading the discs / vertebrae. As far as out smarting your back, the very best thing to is to have pack goats, llamas, horses ect OR bring a young hunter who will carry all of your stuff, and in exchange he gets to learn about your best hunting spots / knowledge (give him some meat too). As far as gear, obviously go light as possible but also have a pack that has an awesome hip belt that takes the load well.

Hope this helps

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider
Not working out WILL make it worse. A strong pelvic girdle and a strong back is vital in the prevention of the pain (in my case). I started weightlifting against Drs orders. I hiked against his orders. 3 months later I needed no shots, meds, decompression....NOTHING. I've been 18 months without shots. I do yoga, weights, hiking, skiing and MUCH more because I refused to be the victim to my circumstance.
Your mileage may vary.

Man, that is truth if I've ever f'n read it.

My situation isn't nearly as dire as some, I have degenerative disc disease in my low back affecting three discs, but I got the exact opposite advice as you did. My orthopedic surgeon who scoped my knees and three separate chiropractors told me to keep moving at all costs.

The surgeon told me light weightlifting (yeah right, lol), swim, bike, walk/hike and in that order.

The three chiropractors told me to lift, exactly as you said: strong core, back and pelvic girdle. One even told me to lift and lift heavy, just be careful, but he is a body builder. The other is a former college wrestler and the third who works with the body builder is an iron man/triathlon athlete.

After losing weight and heeding their advice, I have no pain and very little stiffness in my low back and the stiffness is only there occasionally. It's been over two years since I've seen them.

Just keep moving, DO NOT LAY DOWN AND QUIT!!!

ETA: I do dead lift, but light weight using a trap bar with no problems, but yesterday, I done four 50 yard farmer's carry using an 80lb dumbbell in each hand. I could feel it compressing my low back. Listen to your body.

Last edited:

WKR
Each back is different.

Keep moving. Find what works well for your back.

Learn to hip hinge and brace the torso.

The images on MRI are only a part of the puzzle, don't let those words define you now or in the future. Everybody has some stenosis and degenerative disc "disease". We are taught, more and more recently, to treat the patient, not the MRI...

OP
bguitierez
I've definitely seen how staying still makes the suck suck more! I got the physical therapy scheduled and I'm getting back in the gym and on the road. At least the Doctor was impressed with the Kifaru pack system...haha...thats right I took my pack to the doctor to state my case for keeping on the trails! lol. She said the design was perfect for me...hats of to the Kifaru makers! Dr. approved
Not working out WILL make it worse. A strong pelvic girdle and a strong back is vital in the prevention of the pain (in my case). I started weightlifting against Drs orders. I hiked against his orders. 3 months later I needed no shots, meds, decompression....NOTHING. I've been 18 months without shots. I do yoga, weights, hiking, skiing and MUCH more because I refused to be the victim to my circumstance.
Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

OP
bguitierez
That's some sound advice bro! Especially the young hunter part! Too bad I'm still a relatively novice hunter. Only 5 years into this way of life. That said I will definitely be switching up my approach in the gym. I have a good core, but it can be better. I'll take your suggestions to heart. thanks man.
There is a theory that the stronger your core stabilizers (erector spinae, transverse abdominals, and obliques) the less load your discs have to bear since they provide more support, think of these muscles as your chassis, this doesn't mean do a million crunches, more like a variety of planks with PERFECT form keeping your core tight and strong and as soon as you loose an inch of your technique you stop, wait and do it again. I also recommend deadlifting with very light weight, with PERFECT form, going slow and aiming for 20 - 30 reps. This too will significantly improve core strength without overloading the discs / vertebrae. As far as out smarting your back, the very best thing to is to have pack goats, llamas, horses ect OR bring a young hunter who will carry all of your stuff, and in exchange he gets to learn about your best hunting spots / knowledge (give him some meat too). As far as gear, obviously go light as possible but also have a pack that has an awesome hip belt that takes the load well.

Hope this helps

OP
bguitierez
I'm on it bro. Not hanging it up.
Each back is different.

Keep moving. Find what works well for your back.

Learn to hip hinge and brace the torso.

The images on MRI are only a part of the puzzle, don't let those words define you now or in the future. Everybody has some stenosis and degenerative disc "disease". We are taught, more and more recently, to treat the patient, not the MRI...

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I am 47... Played football, wrestled, and worked construction for 20 years or so...
For the last 10 years I have lifted and conditioned myself to a point where my fitness was part of who I am/was.

8 months ago I woke up and had crazy bad nerve pain in my upper back and all down my left arm. All of the working out and lifting that I had been doing made it worse. I could barely hold myself up on a pull up bar because my grip was so poor. Quality sleep became almost non existent. Pushing through the pain would have been the worst thing for me.

After many Dr. visits and images I was diagnosed with foraminal stenosis and a herniated disc at c6/c7. I chose to have spinal fusion (ACDF).
After seeing my images every Dr. asked the same 3 questions: Did you play football? Did you wrestle? Did you work construction and do labor?

I am almost 4 weeks post op and the results have been great.

I will be starting a workout program again that will SLOWLY and sustainably build up my strength again when I get the okay from my surgeon. He has done this operation for a number of NFL players, so he understands my desire to get back to being a strong and active human.

Kettlebells, lots of focused mobility/stretching, and posture/position work will all be a staples of my new routine. At my age and with my history playing the long game is where it is at.

Good luck.

Kindo

WKR
It looks like you're heading in the right direction for proactive care, but feel free to shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to offer you a few suggestions on things. I see a lot of spine pain and not all protocols for management are created equal. Best of luck!

OP
bguitierez
Dude, I hope your surgery works out over time. I am thinking I'll have to refocus my workout routine similar to what you've described. I'm glad to hear you have found relief for the pain. I will never take simple movements for granted again. Super nervous about all my hunts this year. we will see. Best of luck to you brother.
I am 47... Played football, wrestled, and worked construction for 20 years or so...
For the last 10 years I have lifted and conditioned myself to a point where my fitness was part of who I am/was.

8 months ago I woke up and had crazy bad nerve pain in my upper back and all down my left arm. All of the working out and lifting that I had been doing made it worse. I could barely hold myself up on a pull up bar because my grip was so poor. Quality sleep became almost non existent. Pushing through the pain would have been the worst thing for me.

After many Dr. visits and images I was diagnosed with foraminal stenosis and a herniated disc at c6/c7. I chose to have spinal fusion (ACDF).
After seeing my images every Dr. asked the same 3 questions: Did you play football? Did you wrestle? Did you work construction and do labor?

I am almost 4 weeks post op and the results have been great.

I will be starting a workout program again that will SLOWLY and sustainably build up my strength again when I get the okay from my surgeon. He has done this operation for a number of NFL players, so he understands my desire to get back to being a strong and active human.

Kettlebells, lots of focused mobility/stretching, and posture/position work will all be a staples of my new routine. At my age and with my history playing the long game is where it is at.

Good luck.

OP
bguitierez
Hey brother...if you're talking to me I'll keep that in mind for sure!
It looks like you're heading in the right direction for proactive care, but feel free to shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to offer you a few suggestions on things. I see a lot of spine pain and not all protocols for management are created equal. Best of luck!