Cardio Bike

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

Looking to get a bike to increase my cardio training. I live in NY in the NYC area and there are no mountains to ride on so I guess I'm looking for more of a cardio training bike for flat ground. Anyone have any suggestions or bikes they currently use and are pleased with?

BK

Gorp2007

WKR
Unless you're planning to buy a full spandex superhero suit and start shaving your legs, I'd recommend a cyclocross or hybrid bike. They're got a lighter frame and thinner tires, but they're still capable of handling gravel and crushed stone trails. They also have a more relaxed geometry, which makes the more comfortable. I've got a cyclocross bike that I love, it's a Cannondale CAADX 105 and I used it for commuting to and from work in Ohio year round. It was able to handle rain, snow, and ice and still got up to speed on longer rides. I'll even take it on lighter off road trails as long as I'm not expecting any big drops.

My biggest recommendation would be to go to a lot of bike shops and ride a few and see what you like. Just like boots, you won't know if a bike fits until you ride it.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Thanks Gorp. Yes I was not trying to go full Lance Armstrong, so your suggestion is exactly what I was looking for.

Jacack

WKR
Unless you're planning to buy a full spandex superhero suit and start shaving your legs, I'd recommend a cyclocross or hybrid bike. They're got a lighter frame and thinner tires, but they're still capable of handling gravel and crushed stone trails. They also have a more relaxed geometry, which makes the more comfortable. I've got a cyclocross bike that I love, it's a Cannondale CAADX 105 and I used it for commuting to and from work in Ohio year round. It was able to handle rain, snow, and ice and still got up to speed on longer rides. I'll even take it on lighter off road trails as long as I'm not expecting any big

My biggest recommendation would be to go to a lot of bike shops and ride a few and see what you like. Just like boots, you won't know if a bike fits until you ride it.

Great advise! I had a road bike but bought a felt cyclocross bike and sold the road bike shortly after. So much more you can do with it but I still can ride with road bikes

Jared

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion bike are efficient. Unless your mountain biking up a trail I don't think your going to get a great benefit out of a bike on flat ground, plus it's going to take a lot of time in the saddle to get what you need out of it.

I'd hit the stairs, lunges, box step ups, barbell complexes and so on. Shorter time and more benefit.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
In my opinion bike are efficient. Unless your mountain biking up a trail I don't think your going to get a great benefit out of a bike on flat ground, plus it's going to take a lot of time in the saddle to get what you need out of it.

I'd hit the stairs, lunges, box step ups, barbell complexes and so on. Shorter time and more benefit.

I do a lot of weight training in the gym, but am looking for something for cardio. Running is hard on my knees since I have a bad case of tendinitis.

A rower or airdyne / assault bike would be another good option for good cardio that's easy on the knees.