Coming up on a year away from donuts..

Muttly

WKR
And apple fritters...
And I find myself pondering, what junk food, unhealthy crap masquerading as food, like canned soup and such, ( in the name of quick and easy after work.) I should work on eliminating next??
Ain't too far from fifty, like to tell myself I,m in not bad shape for a guy with four grandkids.
But I could be doin better.
My Mom passed away this last June on my birthday, guess it gave me a reminder of my own mortality.
Went and got a physical...sorry Buckshot, NOT a Greek God..examine your diet they said..cut out some sugar they said...
Tall order for the culinary equivalent of a dumpster diving bear..
So, actually back in the gym on a regular basis for the first time in almost ten years. Not pushing the same weight I used to, but starting to see some decent gains.
Realizing it's a lot cheaper to eat crap than healthy, which, being a cheapskate, can be problematic.
Suck it up Buttercup, they said.
Paying attention to how food makes me feel after I eat it.. if my ass is dragging within twenty minutes, its gotta go..
And drinking water is not my thing unless it's been run through a highly effective coffee bean filtering system.

Anyhoo, lookin for input on healthy snacks, meals, etc....
I am a grazer, don't usually go too long without eating something..

gumbl3

WKR
My go to grazing foods are almonds, beef jerky and I like fruit (apples, blackberries, melons depending on season)

Grumman

WKR
I’ve found a pickle spear can take my hunger away for a while. Avocados have been great for replacing the mayo on sandwiches and butter on other dishes. I struggle with clean eating, I know I need to do better. Kudos for your accomplishments!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those flavored blue diamond almonds are crack and what I eat for breakfast with berries instead of a biscuit from bojangles or chic fil a. This is coming from a guy who had a severe nut allergy when he was younger. Crack. People say they are expensive but an $8 bag will last me over a week as long as I don’t go “nuts”

Google once upon a chef. lots of recipes there that are generally easy to make. You can substitute game in most of them. Real food.
Surely other such sites out there, but that's my go-to many times per month.

Gorp2007

WKR
I like to go with homemade jerky, almonds (habanero BBQ are my preference), and a big bag of mixed carrots and sugar snap peas for lunch. Like others have said, real food that's minimally processed and nutrient dense.

You asked about things to cut out, if you're drinking soda that would be my #1 recommendation to dump. Same with juice or Gatorade unless you're working out for >60 minutes and actually need the electrolytes.

DavePwns

WKR
Personally, there is no one food I completely cut out. I think moderation is the key to long term success. For example I rarely ever eat cake that is bought from a store, but if my mother in law makes a homemade cake straight out of the oven, I sure as heck am gunna eat 2 slices with no regrets! Sometimes I get a little sweet tooth at night and I'll make some pomegranate white tea with some extra dark chocolate and almonds, super good. In general, I try to avoid things in packages that don't need to be refrigerated, except Costco trail bars haha. Also one of my go to snacks is peanut butter, banana, Greek yogurt, some strawberries or blueberries with some granola and topped off with a little syrup, sooo good.

OP
M

Muttly

WKR
Been a lot of food for thought.. I seem to be gravitating back towards what used to work, eat the good stuff, the nutritionally sound stuff first. If I still feel like eating crap, do the dumpster diving bear thing.. At this point, M&Ms in the trail mix, home made chocolate chip cookies, dark chocolate and such seems okay. Can take it or leave it. Kit Kats, and whatnot, chock full of sugar, eat one of those and I,m just craving more sugar.
Been hitting the gym a little harder, boosting the protein intake, slowly whittling away at the processed foods.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And apple fritters...

I operate on a little different philosophy. I'm 53 in another month+ and IMO life's too short to give up apple fritters......and bacon.......and biscuits and gravy......and BBQ......and prime ribeyes......and potato chips.......and Monte Cristo sandwiches......and anything else deep-fried.

Sorry.......I'm of no help.......and a bit of an anomaly. Last October after hunting season I decided to try some healthier options. So I started making up what I call "green slime" in the Vitamix. I figured my body could use some healthy stuff. So I whipped up apples, clementines, pineapple, bananas, spinach, kale, grape juice, and whey protein powder. It tastes really good, especially with the vanilla protein powder. But it stopped me up. Who would of thunk that? And not just once or twice. I just stopped drinking it the end of April after giving it 7 months and it never changed.....stops me up. It also causes all kinds of pains right around the gall bladder, the back of the bottom of my rib cage, and just below my right shoulder blade.

Now a month later without it......I'm back to normal. Maybe my body just doesn't like healthy.

DavePwns

WKR
I operate on a little different philosophy. I'm 53 in another month+ and IMO life's too short to give up apple fritters......and bacon.......and biscuits and gravy......and BBQ......and prime ribeyes......and potato chips.......and Monte Cristo sandwiches......and anything else deep-fried.

Sorry.......I'm of no help.......and a bit of an anomaly. Last October after hunting season I decided to try some healthier options. So I started making up what I call "green slime" in the Vitamix. I figured my body could use some healthy stuff. So I whipped up apples, clementines, pineapple, bananas, spinach, kale, grape juice, and whey protein powder. It tastes really good, especially with the vanilla protein powder. But it stopped me up. Who would of thunk that? And not just once or twice. I just stopped drinking it the end of April after giving it 7 months and it never changed.....stops me up. It also causes all kinds of pains right around the gall bladder, the back of the bottom of my rib cage, and just below my right shoulder blade.

Now a month later without it......I'm back to normal. Maybe my body just doesn't like healthy.
Are you able to drink milk or have protein powder without problems?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
once I disciplined myself to not eat it straight of the jar, peanut butter (or almond butter) is now again my friend. If you don't like/trust the store brands, there are some uber-healthy options at the health food stores. I use it in smoothies, and on apples and bananas for snacks. For me, it's truly filling, as long as I stop at the two tablespoons (190 calories).

Also, I like to snack on Frosted mini-wheats. It's a whole grain but with enough sugar to make them good but not so much that it's bad. I'm talking a handful or two or three after dinner, not a giant bowl of it.

Also, old fashioned oats with a 1/2 tbs butter, honey to taste, and 1/4 cup walnuts and a banana for breakfast. It's a big breakfast but keeps me full way past lunch. Not for an inactive day as it's pretty high in carbs, but great for working out or physical activity.

and a hundred other options as long as they're mostly whole foods, you can't do much damage unless you're just a big eater.

Kudos to your progress.

Pop was my biggest vice. Gatorade a close second. When I gave those up and FORCED myself to drink water I felt better. When I say forced I mean it was tough to drink water. I’ve never been a water guy. 4 months without pop or sugary drinks and orange juice is almost too sweet to drink. I had a drink of my wife’s Pepsi last week and almost gagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk