Foot pain question

snowplow

WKR
Feet never bothered me. But l was hiking with around 70lb a while ago and my left foot started to hurt. Feels like a really bad bruise right in front of my heal/back of my arch. Not sure what lm looking for really just trying to figure out if l should just ignore it until it goes away or stop packing until then or go to doc if it seems like a mechanical prob.

Anybody dealt with this?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
All that weight is collapsing your arches.. Better shoes or work up to that kind of weight

Cam_Shrum

FNG
Just had this issue. It was tendonitis in the tender that runs thru the ankle. I let it go too long thinking I could push thru it, but ended up taking a month to heal. Take it easy, work your calf muscles with a recovery stick, and get a cheap ankle compression brace. Other than that, take 2 motrin and call me in the morning is what my doc ended up saying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SoDaky

WKR
Hi.Ditto to the above but back off the weight,rest,then start up again gradually.Consider new arch support.I solved a lot with Pro Foot blue 'Planter Fasciitis' models and experimenting with new ways to lace my boots.Lacing alone can solve many issues I've discovered over the years.Drastically sometimes.
https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/know-this-hiking-boot-lacing-technique-the-heel-lock
I tie a surgeon knot at the start of my first speed hook,then go direct to top hook and repeat,then finish with the ultimate tie off about 2 hooks down.Worth experimenting.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Awesome thanks a lot. I have worn green superfeet insoles for about 10 years.... Until recently when l threw them out. They are hard in the arch so they dont break down. Very interesting. Ive been on many heavy outings in the past and never had trouble in the past. Ill be looking at those knots and probably getting some more insoles.

Is this why guys run scarpas and other mountain style boots? I always thought it was for more ankle support.

SoDaky

WKR
Hi.Suspect it's more rock/terrain considerations on those boots.Play with the knots,betting it will help.

P Carter

WKR
Looks like the other folks nailed it. To put a bit finer point on it, it sounds like either plantar fasciitis or post tibial tendon pain. Both are nasty if they keep flaring up. Luckily both require roughly the same thing: back off the weight, get good insoles, stretch the heck out of your calves. I also use a tennis ball or golf ball to roll my feet and ankles out. Biggest thing is, this is not “good” pain or “weakness leaving the body.” Cut way back and then gradually work back up. If you try to power through either one of those conditions could become crippling for months.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Looks like the other folks nailed it. To put a bit finer point on it, it sounds like either plantar fasciitis or post tibial tendon pain. Both are nasty if they keep flaring up. Luckily both require roughly the same thing: back off the weight, get good insoles, stretch the heck out of your calves. I also use a tennis ball or golf ball to roll my feet and ankles out. Biggest thing is, this is not “good” pain or “weakness leaving the body.” Cut way back and then gradually work back up. If you try to power through either one of those conditions could become crippling for months.
Thanks that is exactly what l was wondering about 'good pain'. I have tried rolling my feet and with lacross balls and it is pure torture. Funny you brought that up because l was telling my wife that l have no idea if l am torturing myself for any good reasons lol. Is it always that bad, or is it because of the injury (even the non hur one is torture) and is ot worth doing? Basically, is that good pain?

P Carter

WKR
On the lacrosse balls...there’s a fine line I think. I avoid the true pain and just bring it to the point of “tolerably uncomfortable.” I believe the balls stretch the tendons a bit, mobilize them a bit, and break up some scar tissue a bit. But if you’re tearing them, then you’re creating damage and swelling which is counter-productive. So I’d keep it one step short of torture. Ditto with the stretching. I went to a pt for post tibial pain. It turned out that my ankles were several degrees short of the flex ion they should achieve due to tight calves. And feet weren’t flexing as much as they should. I spent months slowly stretching my ankles, calves, and feet until I was getting close to normal flexion. The pt’s instructions were to take it to the edge of sharp pain and keep it there but never do anything causing acute/sharp pain. A bit vague but you’ll get the hang of it.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
One way to determine if it's Planter Fasciitis is by pressing firmly along the bottom of your foot and being aware of any crackling feel to the tissue, if you feel that crackling or popping sensation then it's Planter Fasciitis and massage can solve the problem if you work on the entire foot and calf.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
One way to determine if it's Planter Fasciitis is by pressing firmly along the bottom of your foot and being aware of any crackling feel to the tissue, if you feel that crackling or popping sensation then it's Planter Fasciitis and massage can solve the problem if you work on the entire foot and calf.
Thanks! Do you feel the crackling in your foot or with your fingers?

Gorp2007

WKR
Thanks! Do you feel the crackling in your foot or with your fingers?

I've had plantar fasciitis and when I run my foot over the lacrosse ball I feel the crackling in my foot. It's a bit off putting, like there's a mylar space blanket in there somewhere.

CampCook

FNG
I had the same pain about five years ago on a four day hike and found out I had plantar fasciitis when I got back. Doctor gave me a pair of Sole insoles and that took care of a lot of the pain. Still have to make sure that I role a ball under my heel and stretch the calves.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Is there any reason l should bother with the doc at this point?

SoDaky

WKR
Any improvement?
Hard to respond based onlack real knowledge of your pain,stride,foot position etc.
If you've rested it some,tried some of the suggestions awhile,yet still are having issues,yes,I'd try a doctor.
Good hunting.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I got some green superfeet insoles and have been wearing my boots with stiffer soles every day. I dont know if it has really healed any but it is not as bad with the changes ive made.