BCAA question

I’m wondering how many BCAAs can actually be used by the body? Let’s say you drink a supplement drink with 5g of BCAA during a 1hr workout and then have a protein drink with another 5g of BCAAs in it AFTER your workout. Can your body use that many BCAAs (let’s say) during a 2 hr period ending one hour after the workout? Would taking even more BCAAs in be of any benefit?

I’m suffering from the DOMS pretty badly as I try to rebuild muscle following some bad problems from diabetes. So, I’m looking for things that supposedly help alleviate DOMS; but there’s no sense In swallowing more supplements than my body can reasonably utilize. Hopefully someone will be able to answer the question.

FWIW- I’m also going to add some Creatine, Citrulline Malate and Taurine to my post workout regimen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steadman

WKR
Look into magnesium as well. I sip bcaas throughout the day as well. It seems to help.

This echoes my opinion of MOST supplements...
Mike Roussell, Ph.D. agrees. “It is important to realize that BCAAs are found naturally in the proteins that you are already eating, like whey or casein protein shakes, eggs, beef, fish, and chicken,” he says. “This means that for the average guy looking to get fit, there’s no need to add a BCAA supplement to your post-workout protein shake. It’s overkill and it won’t get you any better results.”

I’m wondering how many BCAAs can actually be used by the body? Let’s say you drink a supplement drink with 5g of BCAA during a 1hr workout and then have a protein drink with another 5g of BCAAs in it AFTER your workout. Can your body use that many BCAAs (let’s say) during a 2 hr period ending one hour after the workout? Would taking even more BCAAs in be of any benefit?

I’m suffering from the DOMS pretty badly as I try to rebuild muscle following some bad problems from diabetes. So, I’m looking for things that supposedly help alleviate DOMS; but there’s no sense In swallowing more supplements than my body can reasonably utilize. Hopefully someone will be able to answer the question.

FWIW- I’m also going to add some Creatine, Citrulline Malate and Taurine to my post workout regimen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Results on supplemental BCAAs is a mixed bag showing they are ineffective as often as they are effective for time of recovery. They will not aid in relieving of DOMS as they are not a pain reliever and DOMS is likely to cease before full recovery of muscle is achieved. Here is a great resource regarding supplements: Examine.com Essentially, they summarize all existing scientific research on a particular supplement, making it a very user-friendly resource. I direct a lot of my students here.

*zap*

WKR
Take Metabolic Nutrition TAG for better recovery and less soreness and you will thank me for that info.