Training Program for Rucking

NYSKIER

WKR
Part one bored me with the science, but part 2 is a legit workout. It would definitely be hard to stick to, and effective. I would say that altitude (relevant in our case) is left out of the equation in the science of part one. If you take altitude into account, I would think cardio becomes a bigger factor compared to strength. And let’s not forget that all the graphs and science can never reflect the importance of the mental game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting this. Did a lot of ruck training in the Army and always believed that more weight and less distance was better, which this article confirms.

I have been needing to revamp my workout program to incorporate other factors and the second link will help greatly.

sveltri

WKR
This seems to be the most applicable training program I have seen for mountain hunting.

Part 1: Mike Prevost: Ruck Training Programs - PART 1 - On Target Publications

Part 2: Mike Prevost: Ruck Training Programs - PART 2 - On Target Publications

I've been doing this since you originally posted it, I couldn't be happier with the results. On the "tempo" running days I do the assault bike instead, which I think is an awesomely horrible torture device that works exceedingly well at preparing the body for what we do.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this. Did a lot of ruck training in the Army and always believed that more weight and less distance was better, which this article confirms.

I have been needing to revamp my workout program to incorporate other factors and the second link will help greatly.

better for what? carrying weight for short distances?

sorry I don't buy that at all, at least for the areas that I hunt; I will sometimes be covering 12-15 miles a day in rough country- if you don't have the aerobic base and long days included in your training- you're pretty much screwed

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
The Hunt Backcountry pod cast did an interview with this guy. EP 132 I believe. I listened to it today while doing my ruck march. Good listen.