Running with Weight

Jon Boy

WKR
I shuffle jog with 45-55 lbs on a regular basis. 11-12 min mile pace. My body responds very well to it and makes me a better hiker and a wayyyy faster runner. Having said that I know people who have had a very negative experience doing the same or even less weight. Listen to your body and do what works.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I have predominately hiked with weight, anywhere from 60 to 100 lbs (training hikes, around 3 miles). I also run but without weight anywhere from 3 to 7 miles usually always trail running.

I decided to start to do some shorter moderate effort runs with a weighted pack. I threw 30 lbs in a backpack and used some inov8 trail shoes that have a minimal drop (I usually use minimal heel drop shoes) but also are a shoe that has very little cushioned etc.

I ran 4.5 miles around my office (all pavement, sidewalks etc) around 10 minute per mile pace. It was a bit of a grind for the quads at the end, but that is all and I liked it.

BUT, the next day the outside edge of my right foot hurt. Hard to explain, but it hurts. Caused me to walk a little funny. Then today (the second day post run) it hurts really bad and I walk with a noticeable limp or something.

Any of you runners have any ideas wtf is going on?
Loading rates. Your legs experience forces as you strike the ground with every stride during running. These loading forces travels up the leg, joint by joint, and is absorbed by contracting muscle. When you ran with bodyweight you were likely able to efficiently dampen/absorb the load, however when you add 30lbs you're increasing that loading rate drastically. Loading rates are dependent on total force and duration of the absorption: Little time of absorption + high force = high loading rates. In order to run with some weight, you must have adequate strength to dampen those loads through the joints. Sounds like the your foot took the brunt of it.

*zap*

WKR
Well, now you know what may happen when you decide to start running 6 mph on pavement for 4.5 miles with a weighted pack to see how it is......moderation is a good idea when doing some new challenging exercise. Running with weight may or may not be good for someone, a lot depends on the individual and many variables but its good to start slow when doing new challenging things because once you overdo it there is no going back for a do-over. Wait till your over 60 and want to add some new challenging exercises to you routine....you will find patience or the doctors office. BTW, that's a good run time....Kudos!
Royal Marines need to run 9 miles in 90 minutes with 35#. Your 1/2 way there.....

Last edited:

Comerade

FNG
I would never risk adding weight.
I would run hills, cross country etc.
I don't even run without very current, top flight runners that suit the surface.
I am 61, and 6' with a large frame and 195 lbs or so, adding any weight to this is to much of a stressors, imo

Barnesnbow

Lil-Rokslider
I never run with any weight. Training hikes with weight. The only reason I run for is cardio. I think it makes me acclimate to the altitude quicker.