Rokstaff Takes on MTNTOUGH Backcountry Fitness Program

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
2077cd9dd714097a17cffac77a6de0e7.jpg

Randle

WKR
If I wasn't in the middle of remodeling our house and theirs I might give this a go, for now its packing siding , sheetrock, raking shoveling, driving pickets, processing firewood, etc,,,, At 54 I ache most nights from this so it has to be doing me some good. but for now its my gym, the whole 5 acres of it. I am going to add some sprints and mountain climbers to the mix.
Good luck to all at this

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
If I wasn't in the middle of remodeling our house and theirs I might give this a go, for now its packing siding , sheetrock, raking shoveling, driving pickets, processing firewood, etc,,,, At 54 I ache most nights from this so it has to be doing me some good. but for now its my gym, the whole 5 acres of it. I am going to add some sprints and mountain climbers to the mix.
Good luck to all at this
It’s sounds like you are already getting quite a workout, so I wouldn’t worry about this one...yet. :)

WKR
Just finished day two. WTF do you do if your so sore you can’t physically put your shoes on?? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, you tone down the intensity. Too much too soon is a great way to cause significant injury which is far more likely to threaten the hunting season than a lack of fitness.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
We backed off a bit. Because we had no choice. The lunges kicked our butts:). The cardio yesterday not to bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Ok.

Day 1 in the books. "The 22s"

My "sprints" (Yeah right):

First 1/2 mile 4:56
Second 1/2 mile 5:23
Third 1/2 mile 5:31

Total time:

90f9be05489206a456232fb0f484b383.heic

34:24
Target is under 25 minutes.
My max heart rate was 148.

And I did the "beginner" version with step-back lunges, airsquats, and no-weight rows. Pretty humbling experience. The supersets in this workout are LONG and challenging. I felt like I really slowed down on the second half of each superset. This is a tough workout for an introductory week Day 1. You will be walking funny afterword.

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Day 4 is in the books. It was a mixture of running 4x 400m and 4x different exercises in between for two rounds. I pushed myself hard in the first round and ended with a time of 16:04. The second round was harder. I maintained the same pace as the first round for all four runs (2.5 min per 400m) but I required more time to catch my breath between each run/exercise. I finished the second round at 20:43 and I was totally smoked.

The cooldown stretching really helps me to feel good afterword and I'm surprised by the minimal soreness. I'm looking forward to day 5 and then a break.

Since I don't work out much, ok, ever (Shut up Brock), I've never used a training watch or heart rate monitor. And since I want to get the most out of this I decided to pick up a Garmin Forerunner 735XT with the chest strap. It should be here tomorrow so hopefully I can use it for day 5 and let you know how I like it.

Last edited:
Good job to all the people out there putting in the effort. I know Justin and when he said the first workout was tough I believe him. I should try something like this but alas my schedule is to random to do a workout like this.

Regards,

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Day 2 “600” done already today.

I sweated a lot.

Max heart rate was 178.

0a78a53c15ef31b813de599304990877.png

The yoga-ish cooldown stretching seems to be pretty effective.

Last edited:

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
We did day 3, and it was challenging no doubt, but nothing was as bad as day 1! I haven’t looked ahead for today’s workout Good luck today everybody!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I completed day 5 yesterday. 45 minutes of cardio was BORING! I switched machines part way through to break it up. Kept my heart rate up though and felt good throughout. I skipped the quad workout at the end due to time.

Week one started rough but I have been feeling better each day which is encouraging. I'm going to get a couple more good workouts in today and tomorrow and rest on Saturday. Two hours of basketball Sunday morning, and then back to the program Monday morning.