Rokstaff Takes on MTNTOUGH Backcountry Fitness Program

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spent the last 4-5 days bouncing back and forth between ICU and my parent's house as my wife and I watched over her Dad. He had emergency open heart surgery this past weekend. His condition is congenital, but saw a lot of folks on that ward.. Spending time in a cardiac ICU ward is a motivator to really watch I eat and work out more... Wow... Needless to say my workouts stopped for a few days, but jumping back on the program ASAP.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
c8b946d0e264ab949d71c780391c60cf.png

W1/D5 45 min cardio so I went on trail run Tuesday with the dogs up hunter creek for my fellow renoites.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I started week three yesterday. It was fun to switch things up and lift some weights. Like I mentioned before, I don't have a lot of experience lifting/working out in the gym since I typically just hike. I chose to do the RDL's intead of regular deadlifts so I wouldn't hurt myself. I kept the weight low (135 lbs) and tried to keep good form. By the end, my lower back muscles were a bit sore so I don't think my form was perfect. It could also just be the result of never doing them I suppose so I will keep a close eye on how it feels the next few days.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 3 Day 2:

My Fitbit died so no time or heart rate info, but I really enjoyed this workout. Always good to get a reminder about how we all hate burpees. I did my burpees spartan race compliant.

The core circuit at the end really toasted me.

W1 D2 in the books...I wasn't particularly sore in any specific spot from yesterday, mostly just overall a little more tired than I usually am at the beginning of a workout. But that's a good thing, right??

I made it through the 600 by doing treadmill, stairmaster, bike, elliptical, stairmaster, treadmill. The rower oddly didn't have an output for calories burned, only a calorie rate per hour, and since that can jump around easily if you don't perfectly maintain pace I decided to not use it. The other machines they call out in the video weren't available.

Here's a screenshot of completion time:

So far I am a fan of their warm-up and cool down. Yesterday I was feeling pretty good after the workout and I think the cool down really contributed to that.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This afternoon my back was still really stiff so I decided a rest day was in order. I'm going to have to get someone knowledgeable to help me with my dead lift form next time.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Completed w1 d3 today. The gym was closing at 10 am and I got there a little later than expected (9am). I did the warm up and pull ups and thought I should get started on the workout and finish with lat pull downs if I had time. I wasn’t even sure I was going to make it through the workout before they closed so I pushed pretty hard. My fastest 0.5 mile on the bike was my last one (1 min) which was a good feeling.

I used 2 15 lb dumbbells for the lunges and step ups, and did 80 lbs on the extensions only because it went in increments of 20 lbs. Looking back I feel I could’ve pushed myself a little harder with heavier dumbbells and more weight on the leg extensions.

After all the cardio was done I did 4 sets of 10 pull downs @ 100 lbs. then I managed to squeeze in the cool down before the gym closed. I’m a big fan of their warm up/cool down so far.

Here’s a screenshot of my timer once I finished:
432e07b1b32a1a4e60dd27dbea9298d4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w1 d4 complete. I kept it to 2 sets. I spent 5-6 hours in the sun yesterday cutting down a tree and getting the roots out of the ground. I was pretty gassed today, but I made it through. I like the circuit workouts.

Today's time:
pRJH2Pz.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 3 Day 3:

I took yesterday off to catch up on some beer drinking.

Straight up strength day today. Awesome workout. I had a little difficulty choosing weights for the farmer carry and lunges, but ended up where I needed to be.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This afternoon my back was still really stiff so I decided a rest day was in order. I'm going to have to get someone knowledgeable to help me with my dead lift form next time.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

135 might not seem like very much, but if you’re new to those exercises, that’s quite a bit.. Be careful man, we got articles to publish

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
W2/D1. 20-2s again. I’m liking this program. I think it could give more in the videos as far as technique. For example: in this 20-2 video it shows dude doing renegade rows with a push up and that’s how I did them but in another workout, d3 I believe, it shows no push-up.

W2/D1. 20-2s again. I’m liking this program. I think it could give more in the videos as far as technique. For example: in this 20-2 video it shows dude doing renegade rows with a push up and that’s how I did them but in another workout, d3 I believe, it shows no push-up.

I noticed the exact same thing about the renegade rows! When I did w1 d1 I was doing them all with pushups and it was wearing me out. I’m obviously just not mtntough yet

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got a late start on this, but today was my day 1. Kicked my ass but feels great and looks like it’ll be a great program from now until August 26 when season opens.

I’ve been rucking with weight and working legs up until now. Hoping this will give me an edge!

W2 D1 done. I got through the 22’s faster than last week. The combo of squat jumps and renegade rows still takes me longer than I’d like and just wears me out! Good day though.

2dbabf9f7fa30f311253207f05753bdd.png

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 4 Day 1:

Supersets. I followed the prescribed rest periods but they seemed kinda longer than needed.

Added about 10% to my weights all the way around. Feeling stronger.

BTW, the Worlds Greatest Stretch is just that.

W2 D2 done! I like the 600s a lot. I only beat my time from last week by ~15 seconds, but hey improvement is improvement right? . I decided to try the rower for my last exercise to push myself. It only has a calorie/hour rate that it displays, not calories burned, so I rowed 1500 meters pretty hard thinking that would be at least 100 calories.... Maybe it wasn’t enough, but I’m going to sleep just fine tonight thinking it was more than enough!